Looking for the best cat litter mats to prevent your kitty from tracking litter all over the house?
We’ve rounded up our top five favorites.
Read on to find out our #1 pick!
Now that you’ve figured out where to hide your litter boxes and how to get rid of the stinky odors, there’s just one more little problem – how do you keep your cat from tracking litter from one end of the house to the other every time he goes to the bathroom?
Vacuuming works, of course, but – especially with multiple cats – some days it gets pretty frustrating trying to keep up with the mess, and it’s always surprising to me how far they can manage to spread the stuff.
Also, I don’t know about your cats, but every time I get the vacuum out, they act like I’ve sent some sort of demon after them (and I promise, no matter what they tell you, I don’t actually chase them around the house with it).
To keep the trauma to your brave little wildcats to a minimum, it’s probably easier to try to stop the litter before it gets ground into the carpet.
Your best bet is a cat litter mat, which sounds easy enough until you get to the litter aisle of your local pet superstore, or type “litter mat” into your Amazon search bar.
There are so many options, and so many completely different types – which one do you choose?
Below are five different cat litter mats with high customer satisfaction ratings across the board.
Top 5 Cat Litter Mats to Keep Your House Cleaner
Affiliate links included below. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
Use the comparison table for a quick reference and read the review for further details
5. Petfusion SmartGrip Cat Litter Mat
- This large, soft, rubberized mat stops tracking with ease.
- Cats love the texture of the mat, and the channels around the edges stop any liquid from spilling over should your cat “miss” the box.
- The mat is huge – which means you can set the whole box on the mat so that litter escaping any edge of the box will be easily caught, and it can be picked up and folded to pour any excess litter into the garbage or back into the box if it’s clean.
- In addition, it can be swept or vacuumed, and a quick wipe with an antibacterial cloth or sponge will have it clean again.
- The only issue with this one is that it has a slightly sticky texture (which is why it’s so good at stopping tracking), it can take some persistence to get the litter off, and because cats love the texture, they may want to scratch it (but really – who wouldn’t want to enjoy that texture under their feet?). The Petfusion SmartGrip Cat Litter Mat is available on Chewy Too.
- SAFE & COMFY FOR YOUR CAT: (i) PVC material without phthalates and vinyl chloride. (ii) Soft to encourage your cat to relax its paws and release trapped litter (no longer jumping over the mat)
- GREAT AT TRAPPING LITTER: (i) Litter held in place by small grooves. (ii) Outer channel catches litter that tries to escape
- SUPER EASY TO CLEAN w/ FLEXIBLE OPTIONS: (i) Broom, vacuum w/ attachment or hand-held, sponge. Litter remains on surface recesses but unlike other mats, no longer trapped from view or reach (growing mildew). (ii) Material is closed pore to resist moisture absorption
- GREAT VALUE: (i) 35 x 24 inches. (ii) Simply fold and pour clean litter back into box. (iii) Durable to prevent sliding and flexible to fit in tight spaces, including closets or small bathrooms.
- YOU CAN TRUST US: (i) Unlike many other mats, WE REFUSE TO BUY 'UNVERIFIED' REVIEWS in exchange for highly discounted or no-cost products. (ii) If your cat scratches softer materials or carpets, we recommend our ToughGrip litter mat made of FDA grade silicone
The Purr-fect Paws mat has a simple, but effective design.
- It has kind of a neat “space-age” appearance, with craters in the mat’s surface designed to knock the litter off of your cat’s paws as they walk across and trap it in the holes.
- The mat doesn’t lend itself well to sweeping, but it can be folded up and the excess litter poured off (it slides easily), or you can vacuum it off just as easily.
- While some people aren’t big fans of the appearance of this one, it does the job, and it does it well.
View this post on Instagram
Potty training isn't easy,but…we made it at 3 weeks old ✔💯🚾 To keep our tiny paws 🐾🐾clean and potty 🚽area tidy we use #petlinks litter solution mats,have few of them and love it so much! #prideofthenorth #catterysaskatoon😻 #britishchinchillacattery #britishcatsofinstagram #yxebritishshorthair #litterbox #littertrained #petlinksbrand
- It is available in three sizes, and while it is a little more expensive than the PetFusion mat, it may well be worth the extra for ease of cleaning and durability.
- You can get it on Chewy too: PetLinks Purr-fect Cat Litter Mat
- Flexible, easy to clean, scatter-reducing litter mat
- Patented design effectively removes and captures litter from paws before they reach the floor
- Extra-large mat measures
- 36 x 27 x 0.27 Inch
- Designed to meet or exceed all applicable safety standards; 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee from Petlinks
3. iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper
- The iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper takes the concept of the Purr-fect Paws mat and expands on it, offering a two-piece design that traps the litter in a lower tray , so that the top layer can be peeled back and the bottom layer dumped easily and/or rinsed.
- The real advantage to this one is that a puppy pad can be inserted between the layers if your cat tends to spray over the edge of the box or pee on the mat in front of it*.
- This makes cleanup a snap, and keeps odours down in your home. It is available on Chewy too.
*If your cat is consistently going outside the box, please consult your veterinarian – this is often a sign that your cat is having bowel or bladder issues, which can be deadly serious and must be addressed immediately.
- Traps litter from cats paws and litter from box. Litter falls through extra large holes (larger than competition).
- We manufactured into our TRAPPER MAT an EXCLUSIVE PLASTIC FILM. It repels urine - other mats "CLAIM" this, but they DON'T. Patent Pending.
- Super light. Brown Color. For Really Messy Cats be sure to use Puppy Pads as they soak excessive urine - avoid urine around nylon mesh located on perimeter of the mat. This outside nylon border may absorb urine if excessive.
- Super smooth surface - doesn't bother cat paws like other mats. XL Size 30 Inches Long. 23 Inches Wide
- EZ Open Edge allows for easy cleaning under sink head, shower head, or shake off. Size is 30 inches by 23 inches. There is NOW a JUMBO VERSION available search JUMBO Cat Litter Trapper and SMALL version.
- The Smiling Paws is a simple-looking mat with an image of an adorable kitten in the lower corner.
- The technology it uses for catching and collecting litter, however, earns it the second-highest spot on this list.
- Instead of a smooth rubberized material, the surface of the Smiling Paws is woven, knocking the litter off of your cat’s paws from the first step and trapping it under several layers quickly.
- Like the others, this mat can be vacuumed or shaken outside – and if it needs a really thorough cleaning, it’s durable enough to take a power washer to.
- It’s a very soft-feeling surface, and best of all, the material doesn’t have the toxic chemicals that many plastic and rubber products can have.
- HEAVY DUTY: THIS MAT WEIGHTS 3.6 LBS! Compared to other mats we decided to make a high quality catcher that lasts a lifetime. A heavier cat litter mat means it's less prone to tear & rip PLUS deeper loofah to catch more litter. Don't say we didn't warn you!
- EFFORTLESS CAT LITTER MAT TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN: Pour the litter back in your litter box, shake it, vacuum it, scrub it, the choice is yours. With this litter catcher mat you don't need to worry about damaging it, because it wont.
- URINE PROOF & SLIP RESISTANT: Got a kitty that tends to make accidents outside the cat litter box? We too. The laminated bottom prevents urine from soaking through to your floors and will keep the mat in a stable place.
- ZERO HARMFUL CHEMICALS: We started the trend and with cat and pet friendly materials, and we will lead it too. This cat litter trapper mat is free from BPA and Phthalate.
- A 100% COMMITMENT: We don't compete on price (that's for others), we provide unparalleled quality and service. It's simple, if you aren't 100% happy, you'll get a full refund.
1. Easyology Premium Cat Litter Mat
- The Easyology mat is very similar in design to the Smiling Paws described above, but has a slight advantage due to its size.
- This mat is approximately 3×4 feet, and is large enough to support an extra-large litter box with plenty of room to spare.
- Often it’s a struggle to find a mat that will support a large covered or round box, and this one has no trouble doing just that.
- The same woven design that makes the Smiling Paws such a great mat is present in this one, but the Easyology also has a grid pattern to its design, which provides extra channels for trapping the litter.
Read our full guide about this mat: Easyology Jumbo Cat Litter Mat Review (Is it Right for You?)
- CAPTURES MORE LITTER.. Features deep grooves and quality mesh to capture litter better than other mats on the market. This is the largest size (47" x 36'') litter mat on the market which means less sweeping around the cat box.
- DURABLE AND SOFT.. Extra thick and extra large PVC material that won't tear like other mats out there. The unique patented design traps up to 37% more litter than other mats. Our premium kitty litter mat has super soft material that is gentle on your cats sensitive paws.
- SLIP-RESISTANT.. Slip-resistant backing keeps your cat litter mat in place. That means the litter mess stays in the mat, not on your floors.
- EASY TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN.. Lightweight (5 lb) water resistant plastic material is super easy to clean. Simply shake off, vacuum, or soap up and rinse down. Your mat will be good as new. For sanitary reasons, do not clean mat in the kitchen sink.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If you don't love it then we will refund your money NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Overall, there are many good litter mats available to keep your floors mess-free, and the best one for your needs may depend on space available, budget, and litter box size – as well as your cat’s toileting habits.
My advice is to have a look at these five, and see if they will do the trick for you – I’m betting at least one of them will.
Have you found any other fantastic cat litter mats that keep your kitties from tracking a mess all over your house? Share below!
Last update on 2019-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API