Let’s talk about the best cat trees for kittens.
Maybe you’re thinking, “I’ll just buy one of those munchkin cat trees she just talked about last week!”
After all, kittens and munchkins both have short little legs, so their tree needs can’t be all that different, right?
Well, you’re half right, but honestly, there’s more to picking out kitten trees than just choosing something designed for tiny legs!
Read on to learn more, then check out my top ten favorite options!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
In a rush and need something right away? Check out our top picks on the table below!
Check: How Long Do Cat Trees Last?
Best cat trees for kittens
Let’s just jump right in and get started!
1. ZENY 53‘‘ Cat Tree
The ZENY 53″ cat tree is just the right height for kittens, yet roomy enough for adult cats to use as well. Let’s look at the pros and cons at a glance, then I’ll share my recommendation. (We’ll do this for each tree, in case you’re not familiar with our layout).
Features & Pros
- Made with durable particleboard and built with solid construction & a strong base.
- Holds up to 44 lbs
- Wrapped in super softer flannelette material.
- 2 spacious houses for kittens to hide out in
- Sisal-wrapped posts
- Roomy enough for multiple kittens
- Durable particleboard is still particleboard
- Not large enough for big breeds.
- The fur ball toys don’t breakaway, so they can pose a hazard.
- Instructions are confusing and pieces are poorly labeled.
As I said, this is just the right size for kittens. It’s fairly low to the ground at right around 4.5′, so kittens can climb all the way to the top with confidence.
While it is made of particleboard, you’ll find that in most mass-produced cat trees. It appears to be a dense and high-quality particleboard, so I feel like it would hold up well.
The confusing instructions also seem to be an industry-wide standard! Seriously, I’ve yet to find a cat tree with crystal clear assembly directions.
Budget-wise, this is right in the middle. It’s not exactly what one would call cheap, but it’s FAR from the most expensive on this list (that one would be #6, and there’s a reason it’s so pricey).
All in all, I feel like this is a solid option for kittens who will stay fairly small as adults.
It’s not a great choice as cat trees for large breeds, though. A Maine Coon would outgrow it in months.
- Sturdy and Safe Structure -- ZENY multi level 53‘’ cat tree is made from highly durable particleboard wood, wrapped with soft flannelette finish to keep your cats warmed and cozy. Stability is always priority. Super solid construction, well balanced design, strong base, cats can easily and safely leap on or off this cat tree. Max Load up to 44 lbs. Recommend for Small and Medium sized cats rather than Large cats.
- Roomy and Enjoyable -- 2 spacious hideaway houses offer super soft and warm lounging spots, sisal rope coiled posts help develop positive scratching habit, 3 top perches platform to enjoy the feeling of being at the top of the world and sit on to look out the window, multi-layer structure design, convenient for cat's scratching, climbing, sleeping, and exercising.
- Quality Plush Covering -- The multi level cat tower is composed of good quality plush material, which is very soft and comfortable, your furry family members will love the plush touch and enjoy exploring and sniffing around its new home, no scratching your furniture any more
- Increase Exercise and Improve Skills -- The cat tree hangs two fur balls which will add extra fun for cats, promote exercising; satisfying the instincts of your restless kitten. And it is strong enough not to be destroyed. Round platform Dia.: 9.65” big room:18.11"L x 11"W x 9.45"H, small room: 10.63"L x 10.63"W x 7.87"H.
- Recommend for Small to Middle Size Cat-- ZENY 36'' sturdy cat tree tower recommend for Small and Medium cats with natural sisal scratching posts, It's a cat's favorite. It will provide your cat with a place to have fun, exercise, explore, scratch and just relax. The Cat Tree will be your pet furniture sofa protection shield. Keeps your cat stay away from your furniture, drapes, carpets and clothes with this cat tree.
TRY READING: Will Cats Use a Used Cat Tree?
2. Kitty City Claw Mega Kit Cat Furniture
The Kitty City Claw Mega Kit is a little different from the other options that you’ll see on this list.
At first glance, it looks kind of flimsy. However, it’s very well-rated across over 1,400 reviews, so it’s definitely worth checking out.
Features & Pros
- Totally modular design, so you can assemble it to fit your living space.
- Very lightweight and easy to move.
- Offers lounging, jumping, and hiding places.
- Sisal posts throughout encourage scratching.
- Since it’s modular, you can make ramps for kittens to climb.
- Easy to clean, just wipe it down.
- Lasts a “remarkably long time,” according to reviews.
- Large enough for most cats, including Maine Coons (according to customers)
- Velcro on every piece allows you to combine more than one into a mega structure.
- Some complain that the Velcro doesn’t hold heavier breeds (not a major concern unless your kitten grows up into a ginormous kitty).
- Toys don’t appear to be breakaway
- Energetic kittens can end up pushing the pieces away from each other with the force of their landings.
Despite a few complaints about the pieces sliding apart when energetic kittens leap around, the vast majority of owners really love this tree.
I do feel like it’s priced a little high for something made almost entirely of nylon, especially considering the fact that sturdier structures cost just around $10-20 more.
However, I adore the fact that it’s totally modular, so you can set it up exactly how you want for your kitten. When she gets older, change the configuration to meet her adult cat needs.
I’d recommend it for pretty much all kitten breeds, including larger ones.
If you do have a giant breed, though, keep an eye on that Velcro issue. Not many people experienced it, but it’s still worth watching for.
- A cat magnet! Your cats will love it!!!
- Easy to change modular design to fit any space. Lightweight, and easy to move.
- Scratching, lounging, playing, jumping, hiding in different levels!
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Modular design - Add more Kitty City modular products for your cat's individual lifestyle.
- Encourages an active lifestyle For your cat, without being detrimental to your living room.
3. Furhaven Tiger Tough Cat Tree
You can rarely go wrong with Furhaven, and their Tiger Tough tree is pawsitively perfect for kittens.
Features & Pros
- Sisal-wrapped posts encourage scratching
- Plush and snuggly fake fur surface
- Multiple platforms and a ladder to help kittens reach them
- Two cozy cat houses.
- Includes hanging toys and a cat IQ busy box.
- Comes in different colors.
- Really only large enough for kittens and small cats
- Because of the angles of the platform, you can’t back it up against a wall.
- Again, dangly toys don’t appear to be breakaway (the upright toy isn’t so much of a concern).
- Pricey if you’re just planning to use it throughout kittenhood.
I really wish more cat tree manufacturers would design those dangly toys to break away. I’ve read horror stories about cats getting caught in them.
Aside from that, though, this is a fun option for kittens. The little busy box is a super nice touch!
I also love that it comes in a bunch of different colors, so you can choose one that best fits your home decor.
However, given the size limitations, I’d only recommend it for kittens that will turn into relatively petite adult cats.
It’s a little too pricey for something that you’ll only use for a few months.
- FUN AND PLAY: The tall cat tree tower playground features plenty of activities and entertainment to keep your cat engaged and mentally stimulated, such as sisal posts, plush ball toys, a prey toy, a hanging rope, and an interactive cat IQ busy box
- TOWER DESIGN: The towering multi-level design of the cat tree playground promotes climbing and exercise, which helps encourage and motivate felines into a healthier and active lifestyle
- SCRATCH POST: The cat scratching posts are wrapped in sisal fiber, which carries the rough, bark-like texture of a tree to better satisfy your cat's scratching needs; sisal is also durable, long-lasting, and economical
- DEDICATED LOUNGING SPACE: The cat tower is designed with two separate cat condo hideouts, providing a super cozy nestling and burrowing space for more than one kitty
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Silver Gray; 19.7" x 19.7" x 69.3"
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The cat playground comes in Cream and Silver Gray
- EASY CARE: The cat tree is made easy to clean for your convenience; for more specific cleaning instructions, please refer to the hang tag and/or seam label (if applicable)
- CUSTOMER ASSURANCE: The product comes with a 90-day limited coverage against material defects and may also qualify for our 60-day Worry-Free Program; restrictions apply: purchases from unauthorized 3rd-party resellers may not be covered by Furhaven
4. Made4Pets 66 Inches Multi-Level Cat Tree Tower
There really isn’t much about the OOTORI Cat tree that differentiates it from the rest of the pack, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth a look.
Features & Pros
- Great layout for kittens to explore and climb
- Posts are reinforced and wrapped with sisal to encourage scratching.
- Two spacious condos for kitties to hide in.
- 3 top perches for your kitten can feel like king of the world.
- Comes with feeding bowls
- Roomy enough for when your kitten grows into a large cat
- Only two colors
- May be too big for tiny kittens at first
Like I said, this is a fairly standard and straightforward cat tree, but there’s nothing wrong with that. It does have some extra stability features that help set it apart from other trees.
It is a very tall piece, which is why those extra safety features are so vital. Your kitten may not make full use of it until he gets a little more confident.
However, that also makes it a great long-term tree, as kitty won’t outgrow it within weeks.
I feel confident recommending it for kittens who will grow into average-sized adult cats.
- 【Clever Design】-The multifunctional leisure area on the second floor of Cat Tree is the biggest highlight. The large game platform has a detachable feeding bowl and scratching board, allowing your cat to enjoy delicious food, rest or do some scratching exercises.
- 【Reasonable Layout】-The multi-level design creates a luxurious and sweet house for your beloved cats and provides them with different kinds of experiences. The second floor is on the first floor, your cat can keep a good sleep without climbing; the other on the fourth floor provides more private rooms
- 【Stable Structure】-The cat climbing frame is made of a reinforced bottom plate with multiple sturdy natural sisal covering scrapers for reliable stability. Including the anti-tilting belt, can double guarantee the overall safety.
- 【More Fun and Comfort】-With 2 spacious apartments and 3 soft habitats, your cat can choose the nap place that it likes; grab posts of different heights can meet your cat's needs for climbing and grinding nails; the best is the cat. All hanging balls on the tree are replaceable.
- 【Satisfactory After-Sales Guarantee】-If the product you received has any quality problems, the product description is incorrect or the product is damaged, etc. Please contact us or take a picture and send it to us, we will give you a satisfactory answer within 48 hours.
5. LAZY BUDDY Cat TreeNo products found.
Now for something a little more modern and Hygge-like than the traditional structure!
The Lazy Buddy has some pretty terrific reviews that prove it’s more than just a pretty face.
Features & Pros
- Has a lovely real wood appearance (see cons, though, as it’s just appearance-wise)
- Safe and Stable with anti-toppling fittings that attach to the wall
- Thicker particle board for added durability
- Reinforced scratching posts
- Removable mats are easy to clean.
- Super cute condo is perfect for kittens who love to hide during nap time.
- Not made with real wood (it’s particle board)
- Instructions are challenging to follow, but assembly is fairly straightforward anyway
- Pads are a bit thin.
- Some of the jumps are a bit tight, according to a few reviews
I absolutely adore the look of this structure, don’t you? It’s perfect for anyone who prefers a carpet-free cat tree.
I don’t love that the description makes it sound like real wood at first. Then again, particle board is made from trees, so technically I guess you could call it “real.”
While it stands pretty sturdy all by itself, I do like that it comes with fittings that you can attach to the wall for added stability.
While I’d recommend this for most kittens, I’m not so sure it’s a good pick for munchkin cats.
Some of the jumps are a bit steep. Not so much that lithe kittens can’t handle it, but still a bit too high for super short legs.
No products found.
Use this table for a quick look at the non-Amazon kitten trees:
|Name||Cats Cozy Space||Go Pet Club Kitten Tree||Home Base Cat Tree||GERTRUDE CAT TREE|
|Rating||5 stars||4.5 stars||5 stars||4.5 stars|
|Top Feature||Real wood||Roomy||Space-saver||Unique|
|Top Con||Expensive||Large||One Color||Expensive|
|Check Price & Reviews||SEE IT||SEE IT||SEE IT||SEE IT|
6. Cats Cozy Space Cat Tree of 3-Towers
If you prefer something a little more modern, I’m in love with this Cats Cozy Space handmade cat tree. You’ll have to head on over to Etsy to grab it, but it’s worth the trip! 🙂
Features & Pros
- Handmade with real solid wood
- Super cute and roomy cat cave
- Choose from four different types of baskets for the top levels
- Plenty of sisal rope to encourage scratching
- Easy to assemble (comes with necessary tool)
- Beautiful design looks great in your home
- Super sturdy and stable
- Totally non-toxic and organic materials
- Priciest of the bunch by a long shot
- Shipping is over $100 extra
- Ships from overseas, so it could take a while to arrive
Yes, it’s pricier than all the other kitten trees by a mile, and yes that $100+ shipping is killer.
Still, this is one of my favorite of the bunch. It’s just so gorgeous! I love that it’s made with REAL wood and not particle board.
While it’s a major splurge, this tree will last YEARS, so you’ll never have to buy another one again.
I’d recommend it for all breeds, as long as you have the patience to wait for it to arrive and the budget to afford it.
7. Go Pet Club 71″ Kitten Cat Tree
If you’re a regular reader of my cat tree reviews, you know that I’m a huge fan of Go Pet Club. For tiny feline tikes, I’m adoring their 71″ Kitten Tree.
Features & Pros
- Large enough for multiple cats
- Two condos for hiding out in
- A ramp that makes it easier to reach the first level.
- Super soft plush fake fur material all over
- 40-lb weight capacity makes it great for average adult cats, too
- Manufactured wood construction
- No sisal poles (the ramps act as scratchers)
- Toy doesn’t break away
- Challenging instructions.
I had a Go Pet Club cat tree for years and that baby took a beating, so I’m always confident recommending their products.
The instructions are challenging, but nothing too crazy. I put mine together in about 45 minutes.
However, with this one, I do think eliminating sisal rope in favor of plush coverings on the poles was a bad move.
Still, I’d recommend this for kittens who will stay within the “average cat” range (under about 12 lbs).
While it can hold up to 40 lbs, the condos, as well as the platforms, aren’t really big enough for Maine Coons.
8. Home Base Playground Corner Cat Tree
If you just want something small and space-saving, the Tucker Murphy Home Base Playground is a good option.
Features & Pros
- Super low to the ground, perfect for kittens.
- Comes with a fun busy box.
- Sisal-wrapped poles for scratching.
- Base cat condo is roomy enough for kittens as well as petite adults.
- Plush covering that’s cozy for kitties.
- Dangly toy doesn’t break away.
- Kind of pricey considering larger structures are right around the same price.
- Manufactured wood
Like I said, this is a good little pick for homes that don’t have enough space for a giant structure.
Again, I think the busy box is a nice little extra! Beyond that, though, there’s not much that sets it apart from other trees aside from the size.
That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as sometimes size does matter!
It’s a good “starter” kitten tree that will last into adulthood provided you have a fairly petite kitty.
9. 43″ Gertrude Cat Tree
Before we close out this post with another straight-forward carpeted cat tree, I wanted to share this neat option from Wayfair.
The Archie & Oscar Gertrude Cat Tree is as functional as it is beautiful.
Features & Pros
- Stylish and minimalist appearance
- Roomy enough for kittens who turn into XXL breeds.
- Super cute and roomy top-entrance cat condo comes with plush insert
- Cushioned top bed is so much more than just a standard perch.
- Plenty of sisal posts
- Sturdy and stable base.
- Manufactured wood
- The climb up to the top bed is a tad steep for kittens
- Toys don’t break away
While that climb up to the very top tier is a bit too steep for munchkin cats, most kittens should be able to reach it.
All of my kittens have always been able to leap from my floor to my sofa, and it’s about the same distance.
It would be nice, though, if there was a hole leading up to the top bed. I think that would make it easier to get to.
I’d recommend this for all kittens, including those that will turn into fairly large adults.
10. Yaheetech Cat Tree Tower Kitten Condo
For this last one, we’ll head back over to Amazon and take a look at the Yaheetech Cat Tree Kitten Condo.
Features & Pros
- Made with high-quality particle board and skin-safe plush coverings.
- Multiple sisal scratching posts
- Reinforced bottom base and optional wall anchors for added stability
- The ball is removable!! Finally!!
- Great size for small to medium cats.
- Cute cozy hammocks that kittens can lounge in
- Made with particle board
- A bit of a nightmare to assemble (one reviewer recommended popping an anxiety pill!)
- Fabric isn’t the most durable
- Complaints that it is smaller than it looks
Again, this is a pretty standard cat tree, but I like it well enough. I really love that they made the ball breakaway. Finally, right?
I also love that super roomy condo! Oh, and it’s totally affordable at just over $50!
I’d recommend it for kittens of any breed IF you plan to only use it for kittenhood.
If you want to use it longer, it’s a good pick for cats that stay fairly small.
- Protective Material for your Beloved Friends: The cat trees and towers are composed of good quality particle board with 400g skin-friendly plush covering，which is very soft and comfortable.Multiple scratching posts are covered by natural sisal ropes which is perfect for your cats to scratch, climb, play and become active, no scratching your furniture anymore.
- Stability is always Priority: The bottom base is reinforced that ensure its stability of the whole cat tree.It also comes with a wall anchor strap to attach it to the wall for extra stability.
- Removable Interactive Ball: The cat condo hangs a ball for more excitement,and you can remove it or replace it with your own toys. overall size: 19.3 x 19.3 x 51"(LxWxH) This cat tree is for small and medium cats, if your cat is too big, pls don't purchase!
- Amusing and Relaxing: The cat towers and condos provide with a perch with raised edge, warm condo and hammock for comfy napping; a playful tunnel for adventurous kittens;sisal covered scratching posts encourage positive scratching behavior and more importantly, free your furniture from sharp little claws. We recommend this activity tree for Small and Medium sized cats rather than Large cats.
- Easy to Assemble and Nice Looking: Its attractive look be compatible with any room décor as a piece of nice pet furniture. All the hardware and tools are included. If you have any questions about our cat tower, please feel free to contact us!
What to look for in the best cat trees for kittens
The biggest challenge when shopping for the best kitten trees is finding something that justifies the cost.
After all, cats don’t stay kittens for long. It can be nauseating to plunk down a huge chunk of cash on something that they’ll only use for a few months.
Of course, you could just skip the tree until they’re full grown, then buy something that works for their breed.
Where’s the fun in that, though? Kittens need to run, climb, and play just as much- if not more- than adult cats!
So, rather than looking for something that only works for right now, look for a tree that they can use throughout their entire lives.
When I’m shopping for best cat trees for kittens, here’s what I look for
- Levels close together AND/OR ramps and ladders that make climbing easier on kittens
- Durable materials that will last longer than a few months OR very inexpensive trees that
- Safe and non-toxic materials (a no-brainer, really, but worth mentioning)
- Places to hide and practice their hunting skills
- Sisal rope or other natural scratching materials (so they learn early not to claw your furniture)
It’s also a good idea to either chose a tree that’s low to the ground or something that offers plenty of fun on the lower levels.
Kittens can climb to terrifyingly high heights (trust me, they can), but most prefer to stick fairly close to ground level until they build climbing confidence.
Well, there you go! My top ten picks for the best cat trees for kittens!
I already gave you my top recommendation way back there at the beginning. However, if you have the budget for it, I really adore the one from Etsy!
Do you have any other picks for the best cat trees for kittens? Share below!
Nicole is one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Learn more about Nicole Here
Last update on 2022-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API