With a seemingly infinite number of cat trees on the market, choosing just the right one for your pet’s needs can feel incredibly overwhelming.
Our team of experts (with a combined total of over 100 years of cat ownership experience) did the hard part for you by reviewing hundreds of options across every category imaginable.
Take a look at our overall winners below, then keep reading for our complete guide to cat trees for every breed and need.
Top 10 Best Trees of 2021 at a Glance
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
- Most Modern Tree (Editor’s Choice): The Curvynest
- Top Wall-Mounted Pick: CatastrophiCreations Gardens Set
- Top Luxury Cat Tower: Milo Cat Tree by Tuft & Paw
- Best Option for Large Cats: FEANDREA Multi-Level Tree
- Most Eco-friendly Cat Tree: Petpals Hand Made Paper Rope Cat Tree
- Best Floor-to-Ceiling Pick: CatsCozySpace Tower
- Top Pick for Multiple Cats: Go Pet Club 62-Inch Cat Tree
- Best Space-Saver Tree: Kitty Hollow trees
- Most Stylish Cat Condo: Mau Store Wooden Cat Condo
- Best Climbing Wall Cat Tree: TINTON LIFE 9pcs Climber Set
If we had to pick just five, though, it would be these amazing trees on the table below:
Top Cat Trees for Every Breed & Need
We’ll dive right into our cat tree guides since that’s why you’re here, right? Stick around for the “after-party” though!
We’ll clue you in on our favorite places to shop for cat furniture, give you an inside look at how we choose our winners, and more.
From Maine Coons to munchkins, from kittens to senior cats, we’ve looked at cat trees from every angle imaginable.
We have SO much ground to cover, so let’s just pick a spot and dive right in!
Let’s start with the biggest cat trees, since shopping for cat condos for big cats is beyond frustrating.
Believe me, I feel your frustrations. Both of my cats are on the larger side (one is 40% Maine Coon).
When it comes to extra large cat trees, you really can’t beat this one by Go Pet Club.
Not only does it offer roomy condos, but it has wonderfully large platforms and plenty of space for multiple felines.
- Color: Blue
- Overall Size: 50"W x 26"L x 72"H
- Model Number: F2040-Blue
If there’s one thing more frustrating than shopping for large cat furniture, it’s finding cat trees with hammocks that actually STAY PUT.
Oh, you can find plenty of gyms that include a hammock, but it’s the “staying put” part that’s a problem.
Too often, the hammock is an afterthought, something slapped on post-production without a single care as to whether it’s even usable.
Don’t worry, though, your dreams of finding a real working hammock aren’t over.
Our cat experts found a handful of what we’re proud to call the best cat trees with hammocks.
CatastrophiCreations- pictured above- took first place with their wall-mounted garden cat tree. The entire structure is actually one ginormous hammock!
Learn more about it in our complete guide to all of the top CatastrophiCreations Cat Trees.
If you want something with a cozy cave, though, don’t worry, there are plenty of cat condos with hammocks in our guides.
You’ll also find some of the very few cat tree with two hammocks.
- Hand-crafted beautiful, large, and sleek design
- Perfect play structure to bring out the acrobat in your cat
- Gives cats an outlet for their climbing needs
- Fabric can be easily removed for washing
- Add a touch of the wild by adding cat friendly plants
- Age Range Description: All Stages
- Included Components: 9 Fabric Pieces
One of the main things that I look for when shopping for a cat tree is whether or not it has a condo.
So, technically, the vast majority of the cat tree reviews we’ve shared fit your needs.
Your best bet, in that case, is to think about your other main need.
For example, do you want a cat tree with a condo that’s good for a rescued kitty who lost his claws?
Then you want to check out The 5 Best Cat Trees for Declawed Cats.
Aside from the one pictured here, they’re a great place to start if you know you want a condo but beyond that have no real major requirements.
- Exclusive luxury for cats: Your feline friends need a cozy home of their own to play, take a Nap or jump around; this cat house is sure to be their dream-come-true
- All-in-one relaxing spot: roomy condo and plush hammock offer luxurious napping experience; top perches with raised edge allow your cat rest on its head while watching over the house
- Stability is always priority: constructed by carb-certified natural particle boards and strengthened with battens at the bottom to ensure overall stability; anti-toppling fittings are included for double security
- Sisal-covered scratching posts: reinforced posts (Dia. 3. 38") are wrapped with natural sisal rope to allow nail scratching and promote exercising; this cat tree is the perfect spot for your cats to jump around
- NOT SATISFIED YET? FEANDREA provides you with professional customer service both before and after your purchase; don’t wait any longer, add this to your home today!
If you’re a Chewy shopper, you’ll want to check out our Frisco Cat Trees reviews.
From huge towers to smaller space-saving options, the Chewy-exclusive brand really does have something for everyone.
Plus, nearly all (if not ALL) ship free as long as you’re spending $49+.
Chewy also has excellent customer service overall. I’ve never had an issue with returning something that didn’t quite work out for me.
Most of our cat tree guides (except those that specifically say otherwise) include plenty of Amazon selections.
It’s definitely one of our top 3 favorite places to buy cat trees, especially for Prime members.
That said, I think my favorite of all are these super stylish PetPals Cat Trees!
They’re not Amazon exclusives, but I tend to find a better selection of the brand’s trees on the retailer.
By the way, if you love those, I recommend checking out these other Wicker Cat Trees & Swinging Beds.
- ➤More than 20 years manufacture experience for pet supplies, 6 years pet supplies provider in United States
- ➤Overall Size 19-inch L/ 19-inch W/ 29-in H, best fit your pet with up to 20lbs
- ➤Fleece and Paper Rope: Stable material with Long Life, can keep great shape and provide your cat a great place to rest and play.
- ➤ Assemble needed, all tools and instructions included.
- ➤This cat tree will provide your cat a great and comfortable place to jump, rest and play with.
Best Climbing Cat Trees
With the word “tree” in the name, you’d think that ALL cat trees would be ideal for climbing.
That’s not really the case, though. Some models are too short, too narrow, or even just too slick material-wise to really encourage cat climbing.
So, if you want something that your cats can scale like miniature K2 mountaineers, go with one of a climbing wall. I love this one:
- MATERIAL: all cat shelves and house are made of solid Pine wood, while the scratching post is made from natural Sisal. High quality and durable.
- LUXURY SET: cat house x 2 + cat shelves x 4 + cat ladder x 2 + scratcher post x 1
- FUNCTIONAL: Cats have an instinctual need to climb and scratch. Perfect play structure to bring out the acrobat in your cat, physically and mentally challenge your feline friend.
- SAFE & SAVE SPACE: Our furniture allows cats to have their own territory that is up high enough for them to feel secure. This set is the perfect solution for homes and apartments with limited floor space. These wall-mounted structures will not obstruct the flow of your living space.
- SIZE: each house 15.6"L x 11.8"W x 11.4"H; each shelf 13.8"L x 9.5"W; each fabric ladder 31.5"L x 9"W; climbing post 15.7"L x 4" Dia.
If you don’t want something that you can mount on the wall, just look for something made with material that’s easy to grab onto (there’s a reason so many cat trees are covered in carpet).
First, by “small cat trees,” do you mean a tree made for a small breed, or a space-saving option for an apartment?
There’s definitely a difference, because not every small cat tree is the best cat tree for small spaces.
Take the tree above by Go Pet Club, for example. It’s perfect for a pint-sized felines (especially with short legs), yet not really what I’d call exactly apartment-friendly.
In fact, it’s pretty humungous (it even has the word “huge” in its name)!
The same goes for these Cat Trees for Kittens. They’re all designed for smaller cats, versus smaller spaces.
Another great option is to go with one of these Modular Cat Trees, since you can arrange them to fit your space.
I like this one by Kitty City because it’s super affordable and flexible, even if it isn’t the prettiest tree in the world.
- A Cat Magnet! Your cats will love it!!!
- Easy to change modular design to fit any space. Lightweight, and easy to move.
- Scratching, lounging, playing, jumping, hiding in different levels!
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Modular design - add more Kitty City modular products for your cat's individual lifestyle.
- Encourages an active lifestyle for your cat, without being detrimental to your living room.
If you’re short on space but still want to give your cats something amazing, consider a floor-to-ceiling tall cat tower.
In other words, build “up” instead of “out.” One of my all-time favorites is this one on Etsy (pictured above).
While pricey, it’s handmade with real wood and looks absolutely gorgeous.
If that’s too pricey for you, though, you’ll find plenty of affordable options throughout our guides.
Another alternative is to try buying (or making) one of these PVC Cat Trees.
Even with store-bought options, you can easily add onto them with some extra PVC piping.
We’ve basically covered all the major cat tree categories above. Between all those topics, you’re all but guaranteed to find the perfect option.
For the rest of this guide, we’ll switch gears a bit and just look at some laser-focused options (as in, you have SUPER specific request beyond “large” and “small”).
Aside from a 9-month period after I adopted my first kitty, Gypsy, I’ve ALWAYS had more than one cat. Always.
Right now, I only have what I call the dynamic duo, so I’ve been re-reading our guides with trees for multiple cats.
I have to admit, I’m pretty in love with every last one of these Kitty Mansion Cat Trees.
- BEAUTIFUL AND DURABLE This Cat Tree is made from highly durable compressed wood, wrapped with high quality Faux Fur finish to keep your cats warmed and cozy. Multiple scratching posts are covered by natural sisal ropes which is perfect for your cats to scratch, climb, play and become active. Easy to assemble with included tools and instructions.
- COMFORT AND ENTERTAINMENT FOR YOUR CAT: Your cat needs a space of their own to rest and play. They can take a nap or play around as much as they want; this cat tree lets your cat be more active. The Go Pet Club cat tree is durable enough for endless amount of playtime for your cat.
- FUN PLAYHOUSE: The quiet and roomy condo allows for your cat to nap without any disruptions; perches with raised edge allow more safety and support for your cat. Covering Material : Faux Fur
- SISAL- POSTS: sisal-covered posts adds more fun for playtime. Reinforced posts wrapped with natural sisal rope keeps your cat from scratching your furniture and allows your cat to have a fun way to exercise.
- DIMENSIONS : Overall Size : 38""W x 27""L x 62""H * Base Board Size : 26""W x 19""L * Size of Condo : 10. 5"" Día x 12. 5""H * Size of Top Perch : 13. 25""W x 13. 25""L x 2. 75""H". Number of Rope : 1, Number of Basket : 1, Number of Ladder : 1
If you’re shopping for something for your senior feline friend, these Scratching Posts for Older Cats are a good place to start.
All of them are designed with levels that aren’t too far apart (for easier jumping) and comfortable napping spots.
I’m absolutely crazy about the ScratchLadder™ Ultimate Cat Scratcher pictured above. It’s highly customizable to fit your cat’s personality.
You may also like these Cat Trees with Beds, since they’re absolutely made for napping.
Our pick for the winner is definitely the Go Pet Club 72″ Cat Tree (as you can tell, Go Pet Club takes top prize quite often). It ticks off all of the must-have boxes.
- COMFORT AND ENTERTAINMENT FOR YOUR CAT: Your cat need a space of their own to rest and play. They can take a nap or play around as much as they want; this cat tree lets your cat be more active. The Go Pet Club cat tree is durable enough for endless amount of playtime for your cat.
- FUN PLAYHOUSE: The quiet and roomy condo allows for your cat to nap without any disruptions; perches with raised edge allow more safety and support for your cat.
- 15 Levels | OVERALL SIZE: 33" W x 22" L x 72" H
- OTHER DIMENSIONS: Base Board Size: 23" W x 21" L, Size of Top Condo: 12" W x 12" L x 9.5" H, Size of Bottom Condo: 18" W x 12.5" L x 11.5" H and Top 3 Perches: 13.5" W x 13.5" L x 2.5" H
- SISAL-POSTS AND TOY MICE: sisal-covered posts add more fun for playtime. Reinforced posts wrapped with natural sisal rope keeps your cat from scratching your furniture and allows your cat to have a fun way to exercise. The toy mice are bound to keep your feline friend busy and give them a unique way to play, so your cat never runs out of things to do.
- MATERIALS: Compressed wood, faux fur, sisal rope
- For medium to large size cat
- Assembly instruction and tools included
Cat trees with ramps are a good option for kittens, seniors, or any kitty that needs a little extra help getting from the floor to the first perch.
Here’s our favorite below!
- Exclusive Luxury for Cats: Your feline friends need a cozy home of their own to play, take a nap or jump around; this cat house is sure to be their dream-come-true
- Multi-Layered Playhouse: 2 roomy condos offer luxurious napping experience; 3 plush perches with raised edge allow your cat rest on its head while watching over the house; sisal-covered slope adds so much more fun for playtime
- Stability Is Always Priority: Constructed by CARB-certified natural particle boards and strengthened with battens at the bottom to ensure overall stability; anti-toppling fittings are included for double security
- Sisal-Covered Scratching Posts: Reinforced posts (dia. 3.38") are wrapped with natural sisal rope to allow nail scratching and promote exercising; this cat tree is the perfect spot for your cats to jump around
- Not Satisfied Yet? FEANDREA provides you with professional customer service both before and after your purchase; don’t wait any longer, add this to your home today!
If you’re short on floor space but still want something neat for your kitties, I recommend looking wall-mounted options.
Can’t nail stuff to your walls? Try these Cat Trees That Hang on a Door! My favorite is below.
- Space-saving cat furniture cat tree that mounts on virtually any door
- Heavy denier waterproof fabric for durability that lasts
- Complete interior access through all levels; kitties can play easily through each level
- Multiple peepholes for multi-level cat tower play
Etsy is hands-down the best place to find the most gorgeous cat trees ever.
The Wooden Cat Condo pictured above by the Mau Store is amazing, and it’s actually very fair price-wise.
Top Cat Tree That Looks Like Furniture
You’ll be happy to know that there are actually quite a few cat trees that look like furniture you’d find in a cat-free home.
Start with these 9 Best Cat Trees Made of Wood.
If you don’t find one you love, consider one of these Gorgeous Rustic Cat Trees. They’ll look right at home with farmhouse décor.
- Vintage Now Also for Cats: The dark wood veneer of this cat tree, as well as the contrasting white fur pads, lend this piece of cat furniture the flair of a rustic, snow-covered alpine hut
- For Clean Cuddly Cats: The cuddly cushions made of white imitation fur are attached to the platforms and in the cottage with hook-and-loop fasteners. They are also easy to remove and easy to clean
- Where’s Whiskers’ Favorite Spot? On one of the spacious perches of the cat tower, or in the spacious cat cave? No matter which place your cat chooses, the cat condo always offers the highest stability due to the stable engineered wood boards
- Claw Sharpness Test: The post of this cat tree is completely wrapped in sisal. Your cat can sharpen her claws to her heart’s content on this and the small scratch mat—better than on your sofa, isn’t it?
- Not Satisfied Yet? FEANDREA provides you with professional customer service both before and after your purchase; don’t wait any longer, add this to your home today!
What if you’re just not feeling the love for carpeted kitty gyms? No worries, we thought of you, too!
Our experts scoured the planet to find those that are worthy of your attention. Start with our picks for the modern corner cat trees.
If those are a bit too modern for you, consider one of these Carpet-Free Cat Trees
Best Alternative Cat Trees
What if you really just can’t stand the idea of anything resembling a traditional cat tree at all?
If that’s the case, check out our list of the 10 Coolest Alternative Cat Trees.
Once again, CatastropiCreations took home the grand prize as our “winner.”
If you’re a renter and can’t really mount trees on your wall, though, you can find some other neat options on that list.
Last, but far from least, go with one of these Bookshelf Cat Trees to Buy or DIY.
Hey, your cat is going to climb and sleep on your bookcase anyway, may as well make it something that’s comfortable for him!
I like this one from Amazon (below). It’s easy enough to adapt into a cat tree. Just add some padding (you can attach it with Velcro) and maybe some sisal.
- 📚 LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: The shelf is designed ladder style for aesthetic feeling and using value. 5 open shelf allow you to have your displays everything from books to collectibles from all directions. Larger load capacity can safely to display your heavy books, medium items, family photos frames, devices, utensils or plants
- 🌵 VERSATILE CORNER LADDER SHELF: This ladder bookshelf works perfectly as storage shelf under the stairs to store old DVDs, books, and much more. You also can place this wooden shelf at your entryway and hallway to put the shoes, gloves and mittens, pet leashes, compact umbrellas, or other items you regularly carry around with you. Place in the corners of living room to put speakers, memorabilia, board games. Or use as a room divider - works great to create a separate, yet open space
- 🌵 HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: Our 5-tier corner bookshelf is made of sturdy thicker MDF frame and certified environmentally durable chipboard shelf, Panel with waterproof seal no painted, eco-friendly, poisonless and tasteless, without any harm to our body or environment, absolutely sturdy, stable and durable, instead of easily shake and like any other cheap shelf
- ⏰ EASY TO ASSEMBLE: The frame of corner bookshelf is assembled for a worry free setup. All parts are clearly included and marked, strictly following the directions, you never get stuck with the hard assembly jobs for the bookshelf
- PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE: We provide best customer service both before and after your purchase. size: 40.7”L x 11.8”W x 62.9”H, Every Shelf Load Capacity: 80lbs
Finding a cat tree that looks like a cactus or a real tree isn’t easy, but we rounded up a few options (including a pattern to make your own.
Etsy is hands-down the best place to shop for such trees. That’s where you’ll find the one pictured above. Isn’t it so neat?
More Cat Tree Guides to Consider
We’ve literally covered every type of cat tree imaginable here on CatVills. Some of them didn’t really fit into categories above.
So, if you still haven’t found just what you need, check out these guides:
- SONGMICS Cat Tree Reviews
- Top 5 Best Outdoor Cat Tree Houses
- Top 10 Best Cat Trees for Ragdolls
- Top 7 Best Cat Trees for a British Shorthair
- Feandrea Cat Trees VS PAWMONA Cat Trees (Pros & Cons)
- The 5 Best Black and White Cat Trees
By the way, if you love the one pictured above as much as I do, check it out on Tuft and Paw.
How we Picked the Winners
As promised earlier, we’re giving you a behind-the-scenes look at how we picked our winners for each category.
We use a complex proprietary scoring system to…no, I’m kidding. Our system is neither complex nor proprietary. It’s actually pretty straight-forward.
Basically, we weigh each and every option against 5 main factors. The tree that checks off the most boxes wins!
So, what are those five factors? Let’s break it down. You can also use this as a guide to choosing your own winners as you shop our cat tree guides.
1. essential FEATURES
Before anything else, we look at whether our potential winners meet the basic essential requirements for our specific need or category.
We begin with a list of “must-haves” and only select trees that hit all of those boxes.
For example, if we’re talking about extra large cat trees & condos, size definitely matters!
Likewise, the best cat climbing tree actually needs things for cats to climb on. That’s a no-brainer, right?
Pro Tip: Use our method to narrow down your own options by making a shortlist of your top 3 “must-have” features.
Example: I’m looking for the best cat condo for multiple cats. It MUST have two hideaway caves, two tall cat perches, and plenty of scratching posts.
2. Material Durability & Safety
Once we’ve narrowed down the countless options out there to just those that fit our needs, we look at the overall durability and safety of each one.
- Does it meet basic safety requirements, including the use of non-toxic materials?
- Will it hold up against a “chunky monkey” kitty or rough kitten play?
- Does it include any extra safety features?
- Will the materials- including the wood, sisal, and carpeting- last as long as I feel they should for the price (see more on this under cost vs. value)?
Pro Tip: Look for key phrases like “anti-toppling fittings” and “reinforced base,” especially if you’re shopping for large cat furniture.
3.COST VS. VALUE
Rather than simply looking at the price tag on a cat tree, we look at whether that cost comes with its expected value.
For example, a $500 tree darn well better be the last one we buy for a very long time.
On the other hand, a $50 tree that breaks after two years still offers good value for the money.
So we don’t look at “cheap” vs. “expensive,” but rather “bang for the buck.”
Pro Tip: Ask yourself, “How much am I willing to pay per year on a cat tree?” Choose something that fits your answer.
If you’re only willing to dedicate $50 per year to it, a $300 option that lasts 5 years is better than a $75 option that lasts one.”
4. Bells & Whistles
Every cat tree at least needs to include the basic features that we’re looking for, meet our rigid safety standards, and be a good value for the money.
So, narrowing down our WINNER often comes down to the “bells and whistles.”
Sweet little extras- like built-in bowls, premium plush carpeting, or extended warranties- help tip the scales from “one of the best” to “hands-down THE best.”
Pro Tip: Beneath your list of the top 3 “must-haves”, jot down a few “nice-to-haves.”
Example: Along with my must-haves, I’d like it to be a blue cat tree with premium plush carpeting, hemp rope instead of sisal, and a ramp.
5. Customer Reviews
These last two factors aren’t heavily considered, especially on sites like Amazon where people often leave “revenge reviews” or disguise sales pitches for competing products as negative ratings.
Still, we do look at them to get an idea of what other cat lovers like about each product (and what they don’t like).
Pro Tip: Focus on the 3-star reviews. You’re more likely to find accurate pros AND cons than if you just look at the 5-star and 1-star ratings.
6. Brand Reputation
Brand reputation seems like something that would be super important to consider, but it’s actually last on our list.
First, there are really only a handful of very well-known cat tree brands. I can only name maybe four off the top of my head.
If you stick with just those, you’re missing out on a whole world of Etsy cat trees and up-and-coming new brands that haven’t had years to build a rep.
Pro Tip: If you come across a new brand on Amazon and want to know if they’re legit, search for their name plus “complaints” or “Better Business Bureau”
Where to Buy Cat Trees
We’ve mentioned most of these places above, but let me recap for those of you who are just skimming along.
I like that they both offer some free shipping option (or, in Amazon’s case, prepaid, since you pay ahead of time with your Prime membership).
However, if you prefer something a bit more unique, the best place to buy a cat tree is actually Cats Play Furniture.
Tuft and Paw is another good option if you want something more modern. They only sell a few trees, but they’re incredibly durable and beautiful options.
I also love Etsy for unique finds, especially for super high-quality handcrafted trees that will last a lifetime (and then some).
Cat Tree FAQs
Do cats really use cat trees?
Yes, cats really do use cat trees. You may need to tempt them at first though. Check out these tips on getting your cat to use a new tree.
Do indoor cats need cat trees?
While “need” is a strong word, indoor cats definitely benefit from having cat trees to climb on. A good tree can help keep your kitty more active, too.
How big of a cat tree should I get?
That all depends on how much space you have. Rather than looking at overall dimensions, pay attention to the size of the platforms and condos. Choose something that fits your cat first, your home second.
Where should I put my cat tree?
Choose a spot where it won’t get in your way yet also far enough away from breakables, toxic house plants and other dangers for your cat. Beyond that, put it where ever you’d like.
How often should I replace my cat tree?
That depends. You can replace the carpet on a cat tree without throwing out the whole thing, so just replace it when the structural integrity is compromised (in other words, when it falls apart).
Is it OK to buy a used cat tree?
Yes. However, make sure you see it in person first to check the structural integrity as well as ensure that it’s actually something you want to spend money on. If that’s not possible, only buy used from sellers that offer refunds.
What’s the difference between a cat tree and a cat gym??
The terms “cat tree” and “cat gym” are used interchangeably. A gym typically offers added features, such as more perches, hammocks, and scratching surfaces, though.
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API