If you have a kitty with allergies or sensitive skin, non-toxic cat beds are an absolute must!
While ALL cats deserve to nap on a nest free of toxins, super sensitive kitties can suffer all that much more with the wrong bed.
The sad thing is that too many manufacturers take short cuts when choosing materials.
The brands below, however, have gone above and beyond to ensure that every last stitch is completely safe for your kitty.
We’ll check them out right after I tell you how I picked my top choices.
You’ll love these gorgeous braided cat beds
What makes a cat bed non-toxic?
“I think I’ll buy my cat a nice poisonous bed,” said no cat owner ever.
We assume that pet brands have enough common sense to use only safe materials, so we don’t even think to look for words like “non-toxic” or “pet-safe.”
Sadly, unscrupulous or lazy brands bank on that assumption and take shortcuts that could endanger your kitty’s health, especially if he has allergies.
So, what exactly does make a cat bed non-toxic? How did I choose the top 10 below? Let me fill you in. Look for:
- Brands that actually say “non-toxic,” “pet-safe,” “chemical-free cat bed,” or some variation of those key words.
- An organic cat bed made with all natural materials that are left untreated.
- Bedding that’s either free of dyes OR uses only pet-safe colorants.
- Formaldehyde-free bedding. Yep, the same stuff used to embalm and preserve bodies is commonly used in furniture!
- Beds that aren’t treated with flame retardants (especially polybrominated diphenyl ethers)
Once you choose a non-toxic bed, you’ll also want to avoid things like strong detergents and fabric softeners to KEEP it that way!
Instead, stick “free and clear” style detergents that are devoid of perfumes & dyes and use a natural wool dryer ball instead of fabric softener.
Now that we know what to look for and what to avoid, let’s check out my top ten picks.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Best Non-Toxic Cat Beds
Every single one of these beds makes either the “non-toxic” or “pet-safe” claim.
Most use natural materials, but for those that don’t, they avoid dangerous chemicals.
Use the tables below (second one is above #6) for a quick peek, then read on for more details.
1. Friends Forever Donut Non-Toxic Cat Bed Review
First, ignore the dog in the picture! I promise, this is definitely a great cat bed. 😀
Let’s look at the features and pros, then we’ll glance at the cons.
Features & Pros
- Fantastic for cats with anxiety, since the raised rim gives them a sense of security.
- Supports your cat’s natural inclination to curl up for a nap.
- Great for cats up to 25lbs, so even Maine Coons will love it.
- If you happen to have a meme-worthy ginormous kitty, they do make a larger size.
- Warm and cozy synthetic plush fur that’s made with only non-toxic materials.
- Washable, but remember to use “free and clear” detergent.
- Like most donut beds, there’s very little padding in the center, so it’s not great for senior kitties who need more support.
- Only comes in one color.
- Uses synthetic materials, so it’s not an all-natural cat bed. That said, it’s still non-toxic.
- The non-skid dots on the bottom have a tendency to fall off in the wash.
- The faux fur tends to mat, so you have to put it in the dryer right away after washing.
Along with being a non-toxic option, this is also a fantastic calming cat bed for anxious kitties.
I love that it’s fairly budget-friendly for a premium bed, and plenty big enough even for the most rotund Maine Coon!
- CALMING & ANTI-ANXIETY: Ideal for pets to curl up or sprawl, the raised rim around provides warmth with a sense of security. It helps them to calm down faster, ease anxiety, and sleep well.
- WARM & COZY WINTER GIFT: High quality synthetic plush fur, a combination of comfortable and breathable. Perfect gift to keep your paw friend warm and cozy in the cold winter days.
- SUPER SUPPORTIVE FILLING: Exceptional support for head and neck, offers relief for dogs and cats with joint pain or arthritis.
- SECURITY ASSURANCE: Made of non-toxic materials, safe in the washing machine and dryer (Machine wash, gentle cycle. Tumble dry, low heat).
- 2 SIZE AVAILABLE: 23x23” bed for pets up to 25lbs, the 30x30” bed for pets up to 45lbs.
2.100% Natural Wool Large Cat Cave
If you prefer a totally natural option instead, you’ll love this wool cat bed. It happens to be one of my top 5 favorites!
The brand uses words we want to see, like non-toxic and super safe.
Features & Pros
- Made with 100% soft hand-shaped wool from New Zealand.
- Large enough for most breeds.
- Gives kitties an added sense of security with its cave-like shape.
- Durable and cozy wool stays warm in winter and cool in the summer
- Safety is a major priority. The wool is boiled rather than treated with chemicals.
- iPrimio is well-known and trustworthy, and not some fly-by-night brand.
- Comes in 10 beautiful color options. The one below is my 2nd favorite!
- Only one size, although it’s large enough for most cats.
- The opening, however, is a bit snug for Maine Coons.
- Not machine-washable
Along with being one of my favorites, nearly all cat owners who bought one loved it.
Just remember, it’s not really machine-washable. You could try putting it on the wool cycle, but it’s hit or miss if that will destroy it.
- 100% SOFT HAND SHAPED WOOL: Each Cat Cave is Made From Premium All-Natural Wool from New Zealand.
- LARGE SIZE: Your Cat Hideout Hole Opening is about 7 inches Wide Allowing them to Jump In and Peek Out to Play. Overall, they are about 20 Inches Wide Outside and about 9 inches High Inside. Great for Small Cats, Large Cats, and Kittens
- SUPER SOFT: Durable Wool Makes a Great Warm Cat Bed Cave. Makes a Great House for Cats too. As you may Know about Wool, it Stays Warm in the Winter and Cool n the Summer.
- INDOOR FUN: Cat will Jump In and Jump On making almost making it their Best Cat Toy. They will Poke Their Paws Out and Peek Out making your Cat Secure. The floor will be like a Cat Mat Soft Mat.
- BOILED WOOL: Using Very Unique Technique, these Beautiful Wool Cat Caves take Shape. Super Safe. Non Toxic. All Natural methods using Water, Soap, Merino Wool. By iPrimio (Also the maker of the iPrimio Perfect Cat Litter Scooper)
3. Dr. Mercola Premium Silk Pet Bed Review
Dr. Mercola’s Premium Pet Bed is among the most skin-safe options you can find. In fact, it was made specifically for kitties with allergies.
Features & Pros
- 100% non-toxic, with materials very carefully chosen for their safety and gentleness on your cat’s skin.
- Made with an organic cotton outer layer, an organic silk liner, and non-toxic polyfill.
- No flame retardants or other chemicals.
- Large enough for all cats
- Lightweight and easy to roll up for travel
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- A bit pricey
- Medium is the smallest size
- Only one color, and it’s not exactly the prettiest of the bunch
- Not very thick, so it’s not a good option for elderly cats.
Yes, it’s probably the least attractive bed on the list, but it’s definitely one of the safest.
For older cats, though, I’d maybe use it as a topper to one of the other options since it’s not all that plush.
- Contains (1) one Medium Pet Bed
- Following Dr. Mercola’s belief in providing the best quality products, this product is completely non-toxic
- Dr. Mercola's Silk-Filled Bed for Pets is a completely non toxic pet bed that gives your furry family member a comfortable, safe place to rest and sleep.*
- These pet beds contains three non-toxic, safe layers: an organic cotton outer, organic silk lining, and non-toxic poly-microfiber fill, and absolutely no flame retardants or other chemicals.
- All Dr. Mercola products are backed by a full 30-day money back guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, simply return it to us for your money back - no questions asked.
4.Pet Craft Supply Co. Round Cat Bed
If you need a super affordable option for an older cat, take a look at the Pet Craft Supply bed.
Features & Pros
- Made with orthopedic memory foam to help alleviate pressure.
- Foam keeps its shape and won’t flatten.
- Super budget-friendly at under $20.
- High-quality fabrics are safe and non-toxic.
- Easy to clean, machine washable.
- Soft and cozy, with a bolster style that helps kitty feel more secure.
- Comes in 2 colors, but one is $5 more than the other for some inexplicable reason.
- Some users complain that the weave loosens and develops holes.
- While large enough for most average cats, it’s not really ideal for big breeds or super rotund kitties.
While it’s not an absolute favorite, it is among the most budget-friendly non-toxic cat beds.
I do like the brown better than the grey, even though it’s $5 more (why, though???). I just find it more stylish.
- MEMORY FOAM: The orthopedic memory foam chip cushion helps alleviate pressure points, forms to the body, and is ideal for pets with arthritis or other ailments. Memory foam keeps its shape and will not flatten over time.
- SUPPORTIVE & COMFORTABLE: Ultra soft plush, a wraparound design, and deep walls provide warmth, comfort, and support. These features will help reduce anxiety in your pet by giving it a safe, comfortable place to sleep
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Durable linen, super soft luxurious plush, and a quality construction ensure this bed will last over time.
- PET-SAFE MATERIALS: Soft, high-quality fabrics and materials are non-toxic and safe for your four-legged friends.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Easy to clean, helping to keep homes odor, fur, and dander free. Simply machine wash in cold and tumble dry low or air dry.
- SIZING: 18 L x 18 W x 6 H inches – ideal for cats of all ages (and most sizes). Works great as a small dog bed too. Measure your pet to ensure sizing is accurate.
5.Necoichi Cat-Headed Scratcher Bed
It may not look like a cat bed, but trust me, kitties love it! My Alex had a similar one that he practically lived on until it fell apart.
Features & Pros
- Great 2-in-1 piece, as it’s both a bed and a scratcher.
- Perfect for cats who love boxes!
- Modern design looks nice with any decor.
- Made with chemical-free non-toxic materials.
- Even the glue is safe! It’s a corn starch adhesive.
- Deep enough for cats to curl up inside.
- Comes in two sizes- regular (above) and large (below).
- Eco-friendly, since it’s made with recycled paper.
- Not exactly soft and cuddly, but like I said, my cat loved his!
- Not supportive enough for arthritic cats.
- Can’t buy replacement scratchers, so once your cat claws it to shreds, it’s over.
- Smaller than it looks. So unless you have a kitten or tiny cat, go with the large.
- Pricey for something made entirely of cardboard.
Necoichi means “cats first” in Japanese, and it’s not just the brand’s name, it’s their mantra.
Everything about this scratcher/bed combo was created with your cat in mind.
That said, it is a bit pricey for something made entirely out of paper. Then again, I’ve seen plain cardboard boxes with a few decorations on them going for more!
- Your kitty will love this two-in-one bed and scratcher, invented with her happiness at heart.
- Ideal for napping, scratching, and flexing tired kitty paws—all in one spot.
- Casual, modern design slips easily into any home décor without disrupting your furnishings.
- Crafted with glue made from natural corn starch, making a chemical-free, non-toxic space for your cat to chill.
- Deep-dish, rounded shape is ideal for curling up—because we know your kitty loves a good cardboard box! Dimensions 14.2 x 14.2 x 5.9 inches
6. Best Friends by Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler
Best Friends by Sheri makes a frequent appearance on all of my pet bed lists, so it’s obvious that I love the brand.
While I usually talk about their vegan shag fur cuddler, I actually prefer this one for senior cats with joint issues.
Features & Pros
- Made with premium pet-safe materials that are guaranteed to be non-toxic.
- Bolsters add support on all sides to help ease joint pain.
- Cozy and comfortable for cats up to 20lbs.
- Waterproof bottom to protect your floors.
- Machine-washable and dryer safe.
- Stuffed with virgin AirLOFT fibers that keep shape for a long time.
- Comes in a wide range of colors, including neutral brown (below).
- Two sizes, so big enough for all cat breeds.
- The standard only holds up to 20 lbs, so you’ll need the jumbo for Maine Coons and it’s quite a bit more.
- Sides tend to fall over when cats aren’t in it (and sometimes when they are)
- Bed takes a long time to regain its shape after washing.
The reviews are overwhelmingly positive for this one, making it a pretty safe choice for most kitties.
It’s not quite as supportive in the middle as some other orthopedic beds, but still an excellent option for aging cats who like to curl up.
- SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Perfect for cats, small dogs and other pets up to 20lbs, our cozy beds treat your furry friend to the best! By providing warmth and a sense of security (with its high walls), each dog sofa bed promotes more restful sleep, supporting better health and behavior.
- COZY & COMFORTABLE: From cuddling to sprawling, our luxury dog beds are flexible enough to accommodate any sleeping position! The high 12” rear bolster wall helps ease joint pain, while the 9” front delivers head, neck and extra orthopedic support
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: Thanks to our stylish color range of high quality fabrics, finding a dog cushion that suits your home is easier than ever! The WATERPROOF bottom, not only protects floors, but because these beds are machine washable and dryer-safe, excess hair and odors are a problem of the past
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Made with only premium pet-safe materials, you’ll rest assured knowing our puppy beds are completely non-toxic! Stuffed with virgin AirLOFT fibers, it keeps its loft for up to 3 times longer than the second-hand fibers found in most other pet beds
- SHOP RISK FREE: At Best Friends by Sheri, we care about the health and safety of your pet just as much as you do! If you have any problems or questions about our washable dog bed, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our world-class customer service team
7. Ethical Pets Sleep Zone Cuddle Cave
With a name like Ethical Pets, you expect only the safest materials to go into this cat bed, right? Fortunately, they believe the same thing!
Features & Pros
- Soft, cozy and comfortable plush interior.
- Filling won’t clump or shift.
- Cats love the secure feeling of a cave.
- Faux suede on the outside.
- Machine washable and won’t lose its shape.
- Comfortable: cozy plush interior offers a feeling of comfort and security
- Only one color option, and it’s not that attractive.
- Only big enough for cats up to about 10lbs (although some say it holds up to 15, but as a tight squeeze).
- Collapses in on itself and doesn’t stay open
- Not very supportive
If you have a very small cat who likes to burrow in bags, he’ll love the Ethical Pet bed.
It’s not stuffed enough for senior cats, and the color isn’t the most beautiful, but it’s still a fairly decent budget-friendly choice.
- COMFORTABLE : cozy plush interior offers a feeling of comfort and security
- DURABLE : Made to last. NO clumping. NO shifting.
- ATTRACTIVE : Faux Suede exterior, cozy plush interior
- MACHINE WASHABLE : Won't lose its shape.
- SAFE : All Ethical Pets/ Spot brand products are made pet safe.
8. Fhasso Luxury Bamboo Cat Bed
We’ve talked about the Fhasso a couple of times before when we discussed calming beds and what not, but did you know it’s also a great non-toxic option?
Features & Pros
- Modern and stylish, looks great in your home.
- Handmade with eco-friendly and non-toxic bamboo.
- All materials are safe, durable and long lasting.
- The cave style is great for cats with anxiety.
- Includes a soft velvet-covered cushion.
- Removable machine washable cushion cover.
- Comes in two colors- the grey above and the milky shade below.
- The colors aren’t quite as they appear in pictures (they’re darker).
- No replacement pillows or covers on Amazon (you have to contact them to arrange it)
- Only one size currently available and it’s only for cats up to 10 lbs.
- Slides around on your floor, no non-skid feature on the bottom.
Along with being a beautiful and non-toxic cat bed, it’s handmade in Vietnam, so your purchase helps support families and fair trade practices.
Sadly, it’s too small for most of my kitties, but they do say they’re working on getting larger ones up and available.
- LUXURY CAT BED CAVE: With the Fhasso line of designer cat beds for indoor cats and small dogs, you can spoil your pets with the ultimate calming bed sanctuary. These modern bamboo cat basket covered cat beds are handmade with an outer shell for protection and a soft, plush cushion inside.
- CHIC & DECORATIVE: This gorgeous cat pod bed provides a sanctuary within a contemporary accent piece that compliments any decor. Our calming pet bed wood and small dog bed and cat cave is painted with neutral interior color and soft velvet covered cushion adds a modern touch to any room. It's a luxury cat bed and calming bed for dogs for any kind of decoration.
- ECO FRIENDLY & SAFE: Our natural, organic bamboo cat cave bed covered shell is environmentally-friendly and sustainable. All materials are safe, durable and long lasting for your pet, family and our planet. The machine washable cushion cover zips off for easy maintenance. Modern cat furniture and suitable pet beds for small dogs.
- SIZING SUGGESTION: Your pets will feel snug and safe in their own private hideaway. With 13.8 x 17.8 inch dimensions, this cat igloo bed offers your furry friend a cozy balance of spaciousness and security. The perfect hideout for one cat or a dog up to 10 lbs such as a Yorkie, Chihuahua, Maltese or Pomeranian. Beautiful small dog bed, cute kitty ball cat bed.
- LONG LASTING QUALITY: Our burrow cat and small dog beds will last for years to come. Each architecturally sturdy pet snuggle bed is lovingly handcrafted in rural Vietnam, contributing to fair-trade small business practices and helping support the craftsman's community.
9. Purple Animal Bed for Cats
Did you know a lot of “people” mattress brands for people also make pet beds? True story!
While there are a ton of different ones (Casper, Serta, Sealy etc) Purple is the only one that claims to use non-toxic materials*.
Features & Pros
- Made with the same care they put into their popular human mattresses.
- Engineered for ultimate comfort, making it fantastic for older cats.
- Made with pet-safe hyper-elastic polymers.
- Spacious enough for all breeds.
- Multiple sizes, so if the small isn’t big enough for your cat, just go up a size (although I really think the small is just fine).
- Antimicrobial waterproof cover that’s resistant to odors.
- Designed to adjust to your cat’s temperature, so it’s never too hot or too cold.
- Only one color/style
- Beds “fulfilled by Amazon” apparently aren’t covered under the 100-day “trial” period.
- Some say the waterproof cover is more water-resistant.
* Quick note: while the Amazon listing doesn’t actually use the words “non-toxic,” their website does. The foam is CertiPUR-US® Certified and actually made from food-grade materials!
This is a fantastic option for cats who need a lot of extra support in a bed, as it’s pretty much like a kitty version of your own memory foam mattress.
- PET BED FOR PRIME COMFORT: For the first time ever, Purple has brought their groundbreaking technology to a sturdy pad for your pet. This animal bedding is engineered to give your pets the prime level of comfort available as they sleep at night or lounge around the house during the day for some extra zzz’s.
- BEST DESIGN & MATERIALS: Unlike other pet beds that are made of old memory foam tech, our beds are made with hyper-elastic polymer materials. With these high-tech materials, you can keep your pet in elevated comfort on this spacious bed. Regardless of breed or size, this bed makes a comfortable spot for any pet at any time.
- ANTIMICROBIAL COVER: Many pet beds are difficult to care for and cannot always be purged of the pet smell from frequent use. With this pet bed, care and cleaning has never been easier. The removable cover topper is resistant to smells, and is waterproof so the bed itself is undamaged even in the face of spills or accidents from your furry friends, both big and small.
- FOR PUPPIES, KITTENS & OLDER ANIMALS: Whether your little cuddler is a tiny puppy or kitten or a full grown animal, this pet bed is a great option for comfort and luxury when it comes to your precious pet. While some beds are made for one size, breed, or age, giving you only a small window of time in which the bed will accommodate your pet, this small bed will be around for years to come.
- STABLE WARMING & COOLING: Each of these beds is engineered to stabilize temperature for your pet, so they will be kept cozy without overheating. These beds are made with a square design as opposed to a round one in order to allow for greater accommodation in your home. These small beds can be put on an elevated platform or on the floor to accommodate your pet’s preferences and comfort.
10. PetFusion Jumbo Cat Scratcher Lounge Bed
Like the #5 bed up there, this one combines two functions in one stylish piece.
Features & Pros
- Doubles as a scratcher.
- Two tiers, so kitty can choose his favorite spot to sleep.
- Made of recycled cardboard and non-toxic corn starch glue.
- Long and wide enough for most breeds or even multiple cats.
- Comes with organic catnip.
- Subtle curves make it a more naturally shaped lounger.
- Includes a 6 month warranty for manufacturer defects.
- Warranty only on manufacturer issues
- Very pricey for cardboard, but it is super high-quality.
- Since it’s cardboard, it will leave paper bits all over your house.
Yes, it’s cardboard, but I know my cats would love it! It’s huge (although still smaller than most cat trees) and fairly durable for something made of paper!
- CATS LOVE IT: (I) A scratcher, lounge, & SO MUCH MORE. (II) Incl premium USA organic catnip leaf. (III) Natural scratching = healthy claws, great exercise, & stress reliever . . . (better overall wellness)
- YOU'LL LOVE IT: (I) Made of recycled cardboard, non-toxic corn starch glue. (II) Attractive design, neutral colors. (III) Recommended to save your furniture as cats prefer the feel of cardboard. Happy cat = happy you . .
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: (I) Two tiered & long. (II) Built for sharing & interactive play. (III) Subtle curves make for easier scratching & a more comfortable place to rest & play. (IV) Naturally attracts cats
- GREAT VALUE: (I) 39 x 11 x 14. 3 inches. Reversible for 2x the use. (II) Holds up to 4 large cats. (III) Superior cardboard & construction lasts longer than other scratchers; preferred by cats (please read our reviews). (IV) Large surface area provides generous scratching, lounge, & play space. (V) 6 MONTH : For any manufacturing defect or if you are not completely satisfied
- AWARD WINNER: Hauspanther 'Top Pick
- If you have any product questions or suggestions, or have concerns with a PetFusion product you already purchased, we'd love to hear from you.
We’ve seen a lot of non-toxic cat beds, but which is the best? Well, that of course depends on your cat!
If you have a senior kitty with achy joints, the Purple is my top choice. Yes, it’s pricey, but it’s a super premium bed.
For teeny kitties, I do love the Fhassa! It’s beautiful, isn’t it? As for the rest of the kitties, I’m always a fan of Best Friends by Sheri.
What are your favorite non-toxic cat beds? Share below!
Last update on 2020-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API