Thinking about switching to a stainless steel litter box for cats?
You’re going to love today’s shopping guide!
I’ll tell you the top 5 best options for those who want to make the switch from plastic to steel.
First, though, let’s talk about the pros and cons of this type of litter box.
One last thing before we get started: this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Pros and Cons of Stainless Steel Litter Boxes for Cats
When I first heard about stainless steel litter boxes for cats, I thought surely it was a typo.
Surely they meant “stainless steel litter scoop” instead!
Those, I’d heard of! A stainless steel litter box for a cat, though?
It sounded outlandish!
I’ve had cats for more than half of my life now, and for 99% of that time, I’ve always just used a plain old plastic box.
Sure, some had lids and some didn’t. Some were semi self-cleaning and others were practically little robots. Still, they were all made of plastic.
So why would I want to switch to a stainless steel litter box?
More importantly, why should you?
Read on for some quick pros and cons.
Then we’ll talk about my top picks.
Pros of a Stainless Steel Litter Box for Cats
1. Stainless steel lasts longer than plastic
The most obvious reason to switch is durability. Stainless steel is stronger than plastic, plain and simple. It will last you longer than the average plastic pan.
2. Not nearly as smelly
If you can’t stand the odor of a litter box (and really, who can?), you’ll love stainless steel. It doesn’t absorb odors quite as much as plastic does.
Here’s a story to illustrate this. My son loves milk, and he usually drinks it out of a travel mug of some sort so that he doesn’t spill it on his keyboard when gaming.
He is a teenage boy, which means he often forgets to bring his cups downstairs. That means forgotten milk can sit in a cup for days.
We have both plastic and stainless steel travel mugs. I’ve thrown out countless plastic ones because once that rancid milk odor gets in there, it never comes out.
I’ve yet to throw out a stainless steel mug for the same reason!
Have you considered the omega paw self-cleaning litter box?
3. Easier to clean
I know stainless steel appliances have a rep for being a pain to clean, but litter boxes don’t quite have the same issue.
See, with appliances, the problem isn’t so much that they are hard to maintain, but that little things like smudges and fingerprints show up a lot easier.
With a stainless steel litter box, you’re not buying it for show, so it’s not such a huge deal. Aside from smudges, stainless steel is a lot easier to clean than plastic!
Of course, there are also drawbacks. Not many, but a couple. Let’s see what they are.
Cons of Using a Stainless Steel Litter Box
1. Higher cost
Stainless steel will almost always cost more than plastic, and that’s true with litter boxes made of the material.
While there are exceptions (I’ve seen some crazy expensive plastic boxes that weren’t even self-cleaning), overall a steel box costs at least double the price as plastic.
Of course, it lasts longer, so you don’t have to replace it as often. In the long run, it may actually save you money.
2. They don’t usually come with lids
If you’re looking for something that also has a stainless steel litter box cover, you’ll be hard pressed to find it. None of the stainless steel boxes that I found have a lid.
3. Your cat might not use it
Cats are very fickle creatures, and there is a strong chance your kitty will simply refuse to go into the stainless steel box.
Of course, there’s a chance they won’t use a new plastic one, either, so there’s that.
I had this self-cleaning one (not robotic, but you’d tip it and it would send the litter into a pan) that my cats wouldn’t go near. It ended up getting recycled because I couldn’t return it.
That’s about it. There really aren’t many cons to using a stainless steel litter box.
The pros definitely outweigh the drawbacks!
Well, unless your cat flat out refuses to use it, of course.
Top 5 Stainless Steel Litter Boxes & Scoops for Cats
If you’re having a hard time deciding on the perfect stainless steel litter box and scoop for your cat, don’t fret! I’ve done all the research for you!
Below, you’ll find the top 3 steel litter boxes, plus a “DIY” option and the best stainless steel litter scoopers!
1. iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Litter Box
The iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Cat XL Litter box is one of the most popular options. While it’s pretty basic, it has all the pros you want from such a box.
- Ergonomic design with rounded edges and NO sharp spots.
- Never absorbs odor. Like, never ever. It also never collects any residue and is 100% rust-free.
- XL size is 23.5″ x 15.5″ x 6″, making it big enough for even large cats like the Maine Coon. The roominess of it also appeals to cats who are apprehensive about using it.
- Easy to clean thanks to the stainless steel and the nonstick coating.
- Rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding all over the place.
The only downside (aside from no lid, which as we said is common to all stainless steel boxes): it only comes in one size.
The iPrimio litter box also comes with a guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with it, they’ll give you a refund.
- WHY STAINLESS STEEL LITTER BOX? - Stainless will NEVER RUST and LONGEST LASTING. It will be the ONLY Litter Box you will ever need or buy. Ergonomic Design as We ROUNDED the EDGES so there are NO SHARP Sides. SOME BROWN RESIDUE IS NORMAL on the Stainless Pan as the result of our bending machine for fully rounded edges for their safety. We ensure that its NEW in condition and PERFECTLY NORMAL
- NEVER ABSORBS ANY ODOR, STAIN AND RUST FREE - Plastic litter boxes unpleasantly odor in your home and gets stained after few uses which may be harmful for your cat. Our Stainless-Steel Litter box never collect any residue, odor and its completely rust free.
- EXTRA LARGE SIZE & ERGONOMIC DESIGN - 23.5 Inches Long by 15.5 Inches Wide by 6 Inches Deep. Many cats prefer on open litter box since its easy for them to access but they will love it when they see there's more space, super-sized that has 6" depth and 15" wide with rounded edges and no sharp sides. **There are TWO HOLES on the pan's edge. This is for our custom scooper holder that will be released soon.
- EASY TO CLEAN UP - Sometimes it is painful to clean and wash litter boxes but this nonstick coated litter box doesn't resist and build any residue which can go away in one wash only. Please notice the STICKER shown on the litter box may NOT be on the box. The units we sell on Amazon may not likely have it. We sell to other retailers.
- RUBBER FEET ON THE BOTTOM prevents slipping and sliding. Protects all floors. RISK FREE PURCHASE FROM REGISTERED BRAND ON AMAZON - IPRIMIO is a registered brand on Amazon; We are the hardworking Michigan based company that always considers customer satisfaction as its top priority. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product, just let us know why and we will offer you full refund or a replacement for a free.
2. Yangbaga Litter Box
The Yangbaga stainless steel litter box comes in two sizes. The large is the same size as the iPrimio.
The “Standard” measures 19.68″×13.78“×6”, making it a good choice for those with smaller breeds, like the Munchkin cat.
- Extremely sturdy stainless steel that can hold up against active cats.
- Totally non-stick. Even the sticker label peels right off.
- Completely odor-free
- Environmentally friendly, compared to plastic
As you can see, the features are pretty similar to the iPrimio. Honestly, you’re not going to find much variation between the top three stainless steel litter boxes.
It is a couple of dollars cheaper than the iPrimio, making it a good choice for those on a tight budget.
- WHY CHOOSE STAINLESS STEEL? ---- Stainless steel with great odor control, no scratches, extremely sturdy for active cats or rabbits. If you are suffering with an old, odorous, scratched up plastic litter box that you can't easily clean or is permanently dirty, our STAINLESS STEEL litter box can solve your problems
- NOTHING STICKS AND ODOR CONTROL ---- THE STICKER ON THE BOX CAN BE EASILY REMOVED BY HAND. IF YOU RECEIVED AN OLD VERSION OF THE STICKER(paper glued),CONTACT US TO GET A PARTIAL REFUND FOR THE PROBLEM CAUSED BY THE STICKER !!!!Everything slips right off easily , much more easier to clean than plastic, also makes a HUGE difference in the odor. If you're already tired of the odor in your plastic pan, BUY THIS ONE, it will greatly save your nose and the noses of those you hold
- SAFE FOR YOU AND CATS ---- Integrally rounded, no sharp edges. Can be easily picked up without hurting your hands. Stainless steel surface also healthier for you and your cats as they won't harbor bacteria like plastic
- LONG LASTING AND NEVER RUST ---- Made of high quality stainless steel, environmental friendly. This will be your LAST litter box and it will prove itself to be the best cat based purchase
- MORE SIZES TO CHOOSE FROM ---- Available in STANDARD and LARGE sizes, both sizes with 6" high sides, cats will not be able to spread litter out all over the floor. BUYER BEWARE: THIS PRODUCT IS OUR DESIGN, WE ARE THE ONLY SELLER SELLING THIS, DON'T BUY FROM ANYOTHER BUYERS, THEY ARE FRAUD!!!!!!
3. Ohmaker’s OhmBox
The OhmBox by Ohmakers is the last of the stainless steel litter boxes. It doesn’t differ much from the previous two, but let’s talk features, anyway.
- The 23.5 x 15.5 x 6.1 inches sizes makes it a smidge bigger than the iPrimio XL and the Yangbaga’s larger size pan. Yes, only by .1″, but it’s something.
- Deep sides help keep the litter in the pan and not all over your floor.
- Rounded edges make it easy to pick up and keep your cat safer.
- Non-stick surface makes cleaning a breeze.
One thing that sets OhmMakers apart from the others: they donate a portion of their profits to the MEOW Foundation, a cat-centric no-kill rescue charity.
- STAINLESS STEEL: Will NOT absorb any odors, or stain, or rust or build up residue like other plastic or rubber litter boxes! No more stinky litter box for you and your kitty!
- ECO-FRIENDLY: This will be the ONLY BEST litter box you'll need to buy as it lasts FOREVER! Be earth friendly and avoid replacing your litter pan that ends up in landfills.
- EXTRA LARGE SIZE: Excellent for single or MULTI-Cat families with IMPRESSIVE deep sides to avoid litter on the floor. Very SPACIOUS room for cats of any size to be comfortable doing their business!
- SAFE ROUNDED EDGES: Built with yours and your animal's SAFETY in mind with smooth rounded edges making it easy and safe to use and pick up. Padded feet on the bottom will PROTECT your floors from scratches.
- EASY CLEANING: With a non-stick surface it makes cleaning quick and easy with any scooper! STAINLESS STEEL will NOT harbor bacteria or mold that plastic and rubber pans do. SAVE some time with one quick clean!
4. DIY Stainless Steel Litter Pan
Another option is to just use a deep stainless steel pan (like a lasagna pan) to use as a little box. If you do decide to go with this option, the Winco Steam Pan is a popular choice.
It’s cheaper than the stainless steel litter boxes, but at a trade off. The while height is slightly higher, the length and width are shorter. It measures 20.88″L x 12.88″W x 6.13″H.
However, since it’s a commercial product made for restaurants, it’s designed to stand up to a lot of abuse, which means it can handle your cat!
- 25 gauge 18/8 stainless steel Regular
- Winco offers the most complete collection of steam table pans in the industry
- Anti-jamming pans available in all guages, regular pans available in standard weight
- Dimensions: 20.88"L x 12.88"W x 6.13"H
- Good quality product. NSF listed
5. Stainless Steel Litter Scooper
If you’re going to buy a stainless steel litter box for your cat, why not go all the way and use a steel scooper, too?
Even if you do decide to stick with a plastic box, you can’t go wrong with a stainless steel litter scooper. Unlike boxes, there are quite a few brands that sell them.
I personally like the DuraScoop Jumbo. The large size makes cleaning up go faster, and the all-metal material lets litter and “ick” just slide right off.
It’s even ergonomic, so it’s easier on your wrist. For those of us with carpal tunnel, this is a major plus.
- The ONLY end-to-end all-aluminum litter scoop on Amazon, patented design.
- Solid metal handle with comfortable molded rubber coating. Don't accept inferior partially-plastic substitutes.
- Jumbo size yet amazingly light in the hand.
- Ergonomically balanced with center of gravity toward user's wrist.
- Mirror finish, not plated, coated or painted - will not rub off! Corrosion resistant - will not rust.
- Multi-cat tested for over 15 years and counting. Designed and sold in the USA.
Usually, I’d say something here like “these are all great stainless steel litter boxes for cats, but I love the…”
Honestly, they’re all pretty much the same, so none of them really stand out as the top choice. The only real difference is the price.
The Yangbaga is the cheapest of the three. The OhmBox is the most expensive, but they do donate a portion to charity. So, it’s really up to your budget.
I do recommend grabbing the stainless steel litter scoop, though, regardless of whether or not you decide to go with a steel box.
Do you have a stainless steel litter box for your cat? Share your thoughts and experiences below.
Last update on 2019-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API