Finding the best litter boxes for messy cats is a lot harder than it should be!
The truth is, most boxes have major design flaws that make them unsuited for messy or “high-peeing” kitties.
Don’t worry, though, there are a few that have mastered the art of creating a relatively mess-free litter box!
Today, we’ll talk about my top five picks!
First, though, let’s chat a bit about what to look for overall in litter boxes for messy cats!
What to Look for in a Mess-Free Litter Box
If you walk into a pet store and take a look at the average covered litter box, you’ll notice that they come in two pieces.
The bottom, or pan, is where the litter goes. The top is there to give your cat privacy and hide the litter so you don’t have to look at cat poo all day!
Makes sense, right? It’s fairly standard and works well for most kitties.
When it comes to messy cats, though, there are two potential pratfalls with that particular design: the size of the pan and the spot where the two pieces meet.
We’ll talk about both a bit more as we go through features to consider when buying a mess-free litter box.
Did you ever consider this?: omega paw self-cleaning litter box
1. The height of the litter pan
Whether you opt for a lidded or lidless box, the height of the “usable area” is probably the most important factor.
If you have high-peeing kitties you know exactly why this matters so much!
A pan that’s too short allows your cat to pee right over the top and either onto your floor, wall, or (best case scenario) all over the back of the lid.
If you’re going with a lidless box, you definitely want something that’s higher than your cat’s behind!
Even if you get a lidded litter box, you’ll still want something that has a high-walled pan all around (and not just at the back, because not all cats pee facing the same direction!).
2. The seams where top and bottom meet
When you look for lidded boxes, pay close attention to the seams where the pan and lid meet.
If you can see any gaps, you better believe your messy cat will find a way to pee right out of them!
You’ll also want to look at how the lid secures to the box. Does it just sit there? Is it attached by super flimsy clips?
Messy cats have a magical way of knocking lids off the pan when they’re not securely attached. Trust me, I know!
3. Your cat’s personality
What on earth does your cat’s personality have to do with buying a mess-free litter box? A lot more than you think!
Even the most awesome litter box on the planet is a hunk of junk if your cat won’t go anywhere near it.
We’ll take a look at the best litter box for picky cats as we go over the top mess-free picks, but for now, ask yourself:
- Does my cat only like a specific type of litter (if so, you’ll want to avoid automatic boxes that use proprietary litter).
- Does my cat need privacy to pee, or does she prefer an open design?
- Do I have a large breed cat?
All three of these factors play a major roll in choosing the best litter box setup for messy cats!
Now, let’s take a look at my top five choices!
Top 5 Best Litter Boxes for Messy Cats
Use the table below for a quick peek at the top 5 best litter boxes for messy cats, then keep reading for more details!
FYI- This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box Review
The IRIS Top-Entry litter box is one of the highest-rated high-walled litter boxes out there.
The best part? It’s totally budget-friendly! Let’s check out the features, pros and cons.
Features and Pros
- The top entry design prevents cats from peeing over the top
- Entry is roomy enough for most large cat breeds (but not heavy cats, as we’ll see in the cons).
- Small holes on the lid help knock litter off your cat’s feet as he exits.
- The round shape means no nooks and crannies to clean, so it’s a breeze to scoop out.
- Comes in multiple colors (some of which are actually stylish for a litter box).
- Super budget-friendly. While some colors are a bit more than others, expect to pay well under $50 for this box.
Cons of the IRIS Litter Box
Overall, customers absolutely love this litter box. Still, nothing in life is perfect!
- Cats that don’t dig to bury their waste may end up stepping in it to get out…which means it gets tracked outside the box.
- The lid isn’t really designed for heavy cats, who may manage to collapse it entirely.
- It’s too tall for elderly cats who have trouble jumping.
If you have a spry young cat that’s about average weight (or on the petite side), this is a great budget-friendly option.
You do get what you pay for, so don’t expect it to last throughout your cat’s entire life.
- Top Entry kitty litter box is the perfect way to prevent litter scatter and contain spraying
- Large Top entryway on the Deep cat litter pan for easy entry and exit
- Small holes on the lid to help remove litter particles from the cat’s paws and return it to the Large cat litter box
- Rounded shape and included litter scoop makes cleaning the covered cat litter pan easy
- Outer Dimensions: 20.50"L x 14.75"W x 14.38"H
- Inside Dimensions: (widest point) 19.12"L x 13.75"W x 14.25"H (bottom narrowest point) 17.0"L x 11.5"W
- Top opening: 9.25" Diameter
2. Modkat XL Litter Box Review
If you’re looking for the best litter box for picky cats and have a fairly decent budget, the Modkat is the way to go!
It’s kind of pricey, but you’ll see why it’s still one of the best leak proof litter boxes in the pros and features!
Features and Pros
- The patent-pending design allows you to make it either a top or front entry box.
- As a top-entry box, it virtually eliminates all litter tracking.
- Front-entry option includes a “walk-off step” to cut down on tracking.
- Swivel lid makes it easy to clean. If any litter gets left on the lid it will drop down inside.
- Includes a reusable tear-resistant liner that secures with hooks.
- Roomy enough for cats of most sizes.
Cons of the Modkat Litter Box
- At over $100, it’s pricey for a litter box.
- As the name implies, it’s large, so not ideal for an apartment.
- Replacement liners are also pretty pricey. While they last “up to 3 months,” for messy cats you’ll likely need to change it monthly.
While it’s costly, I do like the Modkat for picky cats since you can quickly switch it from top to front entry.
If you have a cat that prefers front but you want a top-entry box, you can start with the front configuration and get them used to this particular box.
Then, once they like it, switch it to top-entry. If they hate it, you can always go back.
- TOP OR FRONT-ENTRY: The Modkat XL can be configured as a top or front-entry solution, making it the most versatile litter box on the market.
- PREVENTS LITTER TRACKING: Nearly eliminates litter tracking when configured as top-entry. When configured as front-entry the walk-off step reduces litter tracking.
- SWIVEL LID = EASY CLEANING: Lid swivels open for easy access and any stray litter left on the lid falls back inside when open.
- REUSABLE LINERS: The included reusable liners are tailored to fit neatly inside the Modkat XL. They are rip-resistant and easy to clean. Liners can last up to 3 months.
- MORE ROOM: Perfect for cats of all sizes and multi-cat households. Measures 21” L x 16.5” W x 17” H.
3. Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box Review
For messy cats that prefer uncovered boxes, you’ll want to go with the Nature’s Miracle High-Sided box.
It’s a fairly simple box so there isn’t a whole lot to say about it, but let’s take a look at the pros and features anyway.
Features and Pros
- The high sides prevent litter scatter and contain urine from high-peeing cats.
- Non-stick surface makes for easy cleaning.
- It’s large enough for big kitties.
- Entry is low enough for most senior cats
- The low entry does present an issue for cats who pee facing the box of the back and then kick litter all over.
- Not the best odor free litter box, since it’s uncovered.
- Although it’s low enough for the average senior kitty, the entry may not be quite low enough for arthritic cats.
If you’re looking for a super budget-friendly uncovered litter box for a messy cat, this is really the only option I’d recommend.
Again, you get what you pay for, so it would be unfair to judge the lifespan of this box against a more expensive one.
Will it last forever? No. Is it a great little litter box for high-peeing kitties. Yep!
- High sides to prevent litter scatter
- Care and cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning
- Item dimension: 23.4 inches Length x 18.25 inches Width x 11 inches Height
- Packaging may vary
4. Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Litter Box Review
The Petphabet is my top choice for those who want an inexpensive hooded box with a little more style than the traditional beige offerings.
Features and Pros
- It’s large enough for two average-sized cats to use at the same time, which means your messy kitty has plenty of room to kick and dig.
- The high back and lid help prevent spillover
- Clear cover contains odors yet helps claustrophobic cats feel less enclosed.
- Easy to clean with its durable antimicrobial non-stick plastic
- Comes in multiple colors, although they tend to vary by day (and what is in stock).
Cons of the Petphabet
- Although the high back prevents pee from getting everywhere, the seal isn’t the best, so really high pee-ers can still “make their mark” outside the box.
- Cats who value privacy will not like the clear lid.
- While said lid contains odors, you’ll still be able to see the litter (and what’s inside of it).
Also, not so much a con of the box itself, but of the brand as a whole: while it theoretically comes in 7 colors, half the time a lot of those colors are out of stock.
The issue with the seal prevents me from recommending for boys who tend to spray high up when they use the litter box.
However, if you have a high-peeing female cat, it’s still a good choice, especially if you want a box with a little more style.
- Petphabet Cat Litter Box ideal for Multiple Cat Households Even in A Studio Apartment .Two average sized cats could all sit in kitty litter boxes at the same time and have a synchronized poop fest in jumbo litter box
- Removable & Clear Top Cover. Aside from odor protection, high back and lid reduces spillover.Your cats won't feel closed in or like they could be blindly ambushed with litter box for cats
- No Exploding Cat.Safe for cats to move around in cat litter boxes and for you to scoop or clean litter by having the color strip that fits over the opening
- Roomy & Rounded. Dimension when assembled tall cat litter box is 24.8"L x 20"W x 16.5"H. Door opening size 8.2 X 7.8 inches
- Easy to Clean.Durable non-stick plastic covered litter box for easy clean-up
5. Petmate Top Entry Cat Litter Box Review
Don’t let it’s super simple look fool you, the Petmate Top Entry box is among the best of the best when it comes to litter boxes for messy cats!
Features and Pros
- It’s enclosed on all sides to keep litter from spilling onto the floor.
- Great for cats who like their privacy (or people who don’t want to look at litter).
- The textured lid helps knock litter from your cat’s feet as he exits.
- The built-in handles and rounded edges make it easy to clean.
- Compatible with Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Liners
- It’s very inexpensive for a top-entry litter box.
- Not exactly the most attractive litter box.
- The litter box doesn’t come with any liners, so you have to buy them separately.
- While it looks large enough for big cats, it’s actually better suited for small to average-sized kitties.
- Not the most durable top-entry litter box.
Sure, it’s not the prettiest litter box around but really, none of them look like a work of art.
It’s functional and does a great job of containing messes without busting your budget!
- TOP ENTRY LITTER BOX: This enclosed kitty litter box features high walls for cats' privacy. The wide, top entry design easily accommodates larger cats & has a grated surface to collect litter from cats' paws.
- LITTER-FREE FLOOR: The tall litter box allows cats to dig & cover waste without spilling litter onto the floor. The grated top collects litter from paws as cats exit the pan, allowing litter to fall into the pan below.
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products. From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes & litter, we've got you & your pet covered.
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
As you can see, top-entry boxes are, overall, the best litter boxes for messy cats.
The question of which one to get depends almost entirely on your budget!
If you can afford it, go with the Modkat, since it gives you more options.
For smaller budgets, I think I like the IRIS best, but the Petmate is a super close second.
What are your thoughts on the best litter boxes for messy cats? Share below!
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API