Modular cat trees are perfect for two kinds of people: those who need space-saving condos and those who want to build sprawling gyms across the whole house for their kitties.
Wait, how can that be?
How can they be perfect for two completely opposite scenarios?
You’ll have to read on to find out!!
You will love these best modern cat trees
Benefits of Modular Cat Trees
I am madly in love with modular cat trees, and here’s why: by definition, they’re completely customizable, so they literally can fit any size home.
Let’s talk about why they’re great for tiny spaces first, then we’ll go over the benefits for larger homes.
Related: Top 5 Best Outdoor Cat Tree Houses
What makes modular cat trees great for small spaces?
Say you only have one semi-empty wall and a little bit of floor space in front of it, but that floor space sits beneath a large picture.
Now, say that wall has maybe two feet of empty space off to the left, but then you have an entertainment center in the middle of the room, then another two feet off to the right.
- If you were to go with a traditional cat tree, you’d have one option: choose a side and stick it there, hoping that it doesn’t block anything important.
- With a modular tree, though, you can completely build around your open space. Part of the tree can start on the left, keeping it low enough to avoid that picture.
- The middle can rise up over your entertainment center, then the other end can sit in that empty space on the right.
- Basically, you have endless combinations for how to place to tree. Your cat gets an incredibly cool condo and you don’t have to rearrange furniture!
As someone with very limited space, I can tell you, modular cat trees are a dream come true.
Now let’s talk about why you’d want one if you had a larger home!
Related: best cat tree for small apartment
Why consider a modular tree for your large home?
I have this dream of building a modular cat tree/condo/gym for my kitties that expands around the whole house.
Rather than buying a bunch of single trees that, let’s be honest, don’t often go with the decor, I would love to use modular systems to accomplish this.
See, most modular systems work together, so you can buy as many as you want and endlessly connect them. The result is a more unified and less cluttered look.
Plus, if you also have a dog that tends to drive the kitties nuts, a connected modular system gives them some much-needed peace as they travel from one spot to the next.
Now that we have a good idea of why you’d want a modular system, let’s take a look at my top five favorites for every budget.
Related: Small cat tree with hammock
Top 5 Modular Cat Trees
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Use the table below for a quick comparison
1. KATRIS Modular Cat Tree
If you grew up in the late 80s and early 90s, I’m betting both the name and the style is very familiar to you.
Like the game that inspired it, the individual parts of the KATRIS modular system fit together very much like Tetris pieces.
Here’s why you’ll get with each set:
- 5 blocks that work together to build a tree, scratcher, climber, or just about any other type of cat furniture you can image.
- A modern design that looks more like pop art than a cat tree. FYI, if you don’t love the colorful one, it comes in black, beige, and natural “wood” colors.
- Super durable pieces, each able to hold up to 300 pounds.
- Simple assembly with the ten included clips.
- You’ll also get 5 bags of natural catnip!
If you have a small home, one set should be more than enough. For larger homes or more complex trees, go ahead and grab a couple.
They all work together, so you could theoretically line a mansion with nothing but KATRIS blocks!
The entire system as well as individual add-ons are available on Amazon.
Chewy also sells individual components, and they offer free shipping on all orders $49+.
- Featured on Animal Planet's "My Cat From Hell"
- With 5 blocks to build a cat tree, a bookshelf, a cat scratcher, a cat climber, a coffe table... or just about anything you can imagine
- Modern stylish design with various collections can match your home
- Extremely durable & sturdy: could holds up to 300 pounds for scratching, exercising, climbing, and sleeping
- Easy assembly with 10 clips includes to secure blocks together, (Extra)Includes 5 bags of natural catnip
Related: Cat Bubble Bed review: Is it worth it?
2. Kitty City Claw Mega Kit
When you search “modular cat trees” on Amazon, Kitty City comes up as “Amazon’s Choice,” so that should tell you something.
While I prefer the look of KATRIS, Kitty City is my top budget-friendly choice. Let’s check out the features:
- Lightweight construction that lets you easily move it from place to place, so you’re not stuck with a cat tree in one spot.
- Plenty of scratching poles to keep those claws off your sofa!
- Easy to assemble and even easier to clean.
- Expand it as much as you want with additional kits.
While they don’t list a weight limit, the “caves” are quite spacious, so I can’t see an issue with larger cat breeds. Some customers say that their Maine Coon fits in (and on) it just fine.
- A Cat Magnet! Your cats will love it!!!
- Easy to change modular design to fit any space. Lightweight, and easy to move.
- Scratching, lounging, playing, jumping, hiding in different levels!
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Modular design - add more Kitty City modular products for your cat's individual lifestyle.
- Encourages an active lifestyle for your cat, without being detrimental to your living room.
3. FrontPet Modular Cat Condo
FrontPet Modular Cat Condo is a good mid-range option for those who like a more unified, single-color tree.
It’s especially great if you love blue cat trees (although it does also come in pink, and you can mix and match the colors if you want).
Here’s what you get with the FrontPet system:
- 28 solid panels and 9 window panels, 13 structure frames, and corner joints for endless arrangements.
- A cat hammock to give your kitty a cozy nap spot.
- A scratch pad to keep those claws nice and sharp!
- Safe and sturdy reinforced structure frames keep kitty safe.
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE & EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Make Endless Cat Houses For Indoor Cats! We have included all the pieces you need to make your cat condo! 28 Solid Panels / 9 Window Panels / 13 Structure Frames / 45 Corner Joints / 12 Deluxe Corner Joints / 1 Cat Hammock / 1 Scratch Pad!
- BRING OUT YOUR CREATIVE SIDE: Our Cat Condo Kit allows you to bring out your creative side and build the cat tower of your pets dreams! Make it tall, Make it wide Make it your own!
- YOUR CAT WILL LOVE IT: Cats feel the most comfortable in confined, secure and tall areas- our DIY Cat Tree brings all three of these attributes into one amazing product that you can build to custom fit your home and lifestyle!
- SAFE AND STURDY: Our reinforced structure frames and joints along with the cube design ensures your cat condo will remain strong and sturdy when your cat is enjoying their new home!
- SLEEK & STYLISH: The blue pane design of this cat tree looks great in any house and your cat will love it.
Related: Best Floor to ceiling cat tree
4. Catty Stacks Modern Cat Condo
Catty Stacks (also called Cat Amazing Stacks) is based on the premise that cats love boxes! This award-winning modern modular system is both budget-friendly and attractive.
I used to have a set of them, and I can tell you that they’re a lot sturdier than they look!
They’ve expanded their line quite a bit in the last few years, and new sets include a cute bridge for your cat to cross. Let’s check out the features.
- Super strong heavy-duty corrugated cardboard can handle even the largest domestic cats.
- Endlessly modular, so you can arrange them however you want.
- Easy to assemble. Just unfold and assemble the boxes, then clip your arrangement together with the included binder-style clips.
- Mix and match colors and patterns for a unique cat tree
- Made in the USA
As I said, I had a couple sets of Cat Amazing Stacks. I actually used them separately to put my cats’ food bowls in them so my dogs couldn’t get to them. It is also available on Chewy.
- Modern cat furniture – the original award-winning cat amazing stacks (by Catty Stacks) are stunning cat Cubes that makes unsightly large cat trees are a thing of the past!
- Ultra tough & Durable – Super strong and long-lasting cat houses to fit any decor! Heavy-duty corrugated Ultra Board cardboard easily holds up to large cats jumping, playing and sleeping!
- Endlessly modular – stack these sturdy boxes high & secure them with our patented clip system (clips and bridge included!) mix & match the colors (white, Green, Brown & more) to build an entire configurable cat condo for your favorite fur ball!
- Versatile playhouse – It’s a cat tower, climber, cat Tunnel, perch, cat lounger and activity Center All in one! Add a cat bed, scratching post or pad, and some favorite mouse and feather toys for an all-in-one interactive play center for indoor Adult cats and kittens!
- Made in USA – crafted from high-quality, cat-safe and planet-friendly materials for long-lasting durability and safety, providing your cat play and enrichment for years!
5. Wall Mounted Modular Cat Tree
If you’re so low on floor space that none of the above will work for you, consider the CatastrophiCreations Cat Mod Gardens Set wall mounted modular cat tree.
I’ll be honest, the set is a bit pricier than some of the other options on this list, but it comes with quite a few parts, so you only need to buy one set if you want a massive tree.
While they have a few different sets, this one comes with:
- A total of 258″ of canvas fabric
- 4-ft vertical pole lined with sisal
- 18″ Sisal-lined “escape hatch”
- 8 mounting planks
- 2 ladder pieces
The entire system is incredibly attractive and handmade with love & care. You get to choose the canvas color as well as the finish.
Since you can remove just the fabric on any part of the tree, it’s a breeze to clean.
- Great for lounging and to give your cats their own space
- Perfect play structure to bring out the acrobat in your cat
- Gives cats an outlet for their climbing needs
- Add a touch of the wild by adding cat friendly plants
- Sturdy, tested to hold 62 lbs per hammock, and 85 lbs per wooden piece
- Included components: 7 Mounting planks, 4 Planters, 2 Escape hatches, 1 4' Sisal post, 2 Ladder pieces, and 9 fabric pieces
My #1 choice is the Katris, followed closely by the wall mounted system. Both of these modular cat trees are absolutely gorgeous in their own way, and I know my cats would love them.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, I kind of love the Kitty Claw set. While it’s not as visually appealing as the Katris, it has a lot to offer my kitties.
How about you? Which of these modular cat trees would you buy? Share below!
Last update on 2020-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API