Last updated on October 30th, 2023 at 07:11 am
Modular cat trees are perfect for two kinds of people: those who need space-saving condos and those who want to build sprawling gyms across the whole house for their kitties.
Wait, how can that be? How can they be perfect for two completely opposite scenarios? You’ll have to read on to find out!
Let’s start with a quick look at our top picks, then keep reading for all the glorious details.
Top Picks at a Glance
- KATRIS Modular Cat Tree
- Kitty City Claw Mega Kit
- FrontPet Modular Cat Condo
- Catty Stacks Modern Cat Condo
- Wall Mounted Modular Cat Tree
#1 KATRIS Modular Cat Tree
- Featured on Animal Planet's "My Cat From Hell"
- With 5 blocks to build a cat tree, a bookshelf, a cat scratcher, a cat...
- Modern stylish design with various collections can match your home
Our #1 favorite modular cat tree is also among our top 10 favorites across all categories!
If you grew up in the late 80s and early 90s, I’m betting both the name and the style is very familiar to you.
Like the game that inspired it, the individual parts of the Katris modular system fit together very much like Tetris pieces.
- 5 blocks that work together to build a tree, scratcher, climber, or just about any other type of cat furniture you can imagine
- A modern design that looks more like pop art than a cat tree FYI, if you don’t love the colorful one, it comes in black, beige, and natural “wood” colors.
- Super-durable pieces, each able to hold up to 300 pounds.
- Simple assembly with the ten included clips
- You’ll also get 5 bags of natural catnip!
If you have a small house, one set should be more than enough. For larger homes or more complex trees, go ahead and grab a couple.
They all work together, so you could theoretically line a mansion with nothing but KATRIS blocks!
The entire system as well as individual add-ons are available on Amazon.
#2 Kitty City Modular Cat Tree
- A cat magnet! Your cats will love it!!!
- Easy to change modular design to fit any space. Lightweight, and easy...
- Scratching, lounging, playing, jumping, hiding in different levels!
While I prefer the look of KATRIS, Kitty City is my top budget-friendly choice.
- Lightweight construction that lets you easily move it from place to place, so you’re not stuck with a cat tree in one spot.
- Plenty of scratching poles to keep those claws off your sofa!
- Easy to assemble, and even easier to clean.
- Expand it as much as you want with additional kits.
While they don’t list a weight limit, the “caves” are quite spacious, so I can’t see an issue with larger cat breeds.
Some customers say that their Maine Coon fits in (and on) it just fine.
#3 FrontPet Modular Cat Condo
FrontPet Modular Cat Condo is a good mid-range option for those who like a more unified, single-color tree.
It’s especially great if you love blue cat trees (although it does also come in pink, and you can mix and match the colors if you want).
- 28 solid panels and 9 window panels, 13 structure frames, and corner joints for endless arrangements
- A cat hammock to give your kitty a cozy nap spot.
- A scratch pad to keep those claws nice and sharp!
- Safe and sturdy reinforced frames keep cats safe.
#4 Catty Stacks Modular Cat Tree
- MODERN CAT FURNITURE – The Original Award-winning Cat Amazing STACKS...
- ULTRA TOUGH & DURABLE – Super strong and long-lasting cat houses to...
- ENDLESSLY MODULAR – Stack these sturdy boxes high & secure them with...
Catty Stacks (also called Cat Amazing Stacks) is based on the premise that cats love boxes!
This award-winning modern modular system is both budget-friendly and attractive.
I used to have a set of them, and I can tell you that they’re a lot sturdier than they look!
They’ve expanded their line quite a bit in the last few years, and new sets include a cute bridge for your cat to cross.
- Super-strong, heavy-duty corrugated cardboard can handle even the largest domestic cats.
- Endlessly modular, so you can arrange them however you want.
- Easy to assemble. Just unfold and assemble the boxes, then clip your arrangement together with the included binder-style clips.
- Mix and match colors and patterns for a unique cat tree
- Made in the USA
We tested a couple sets of Cat Amazing Stacks. We actually used them separately to put cats’ food bowls in them.
#5 CatastrophiCreations Modular Cat Tree
- Great for lounging and to give your cats their own space
- Perfect play structure to bring out the acrobat in your cat
- Gives cats an outlet for their climbing needs
If you’re so low on floor space that none of the above will work for you, consider the CatastrophiCreations Cat Mod Gardens Set wall mounted modular cat tree.
I’ll be honest, the set is a bit pricier than some of the other options on this list, but it comes with quite a few parts, so you only need to buy one set if you want a massive tree.
- A total of 258″ of canvas fabric
- 4-ft vertical pole lined with sisal
- 18″ Sisal-lined “escape hatch”
- 8 mounting planks
- 2 ladder pieces
The entire system is incredibly attractive and handmade with love & care. You get to choose the canvas color as well as the finish.
Since you can remove just the fabric on any part of the tree, it’s a breeze to clean.
Benefits of Modular Cat Trees
I am madly in love with modular cat trees, and here’s why: by definition, they’re completely customizable, so they literally can fit any size home. They’re just the coolest cat trees!
Let’s talk about why they’re great for tiny spaces first, and then we’ll go over the benefits for larger homes.
great for small spaces
Say you only have one semi-empty wall and a little bit of floor space in front of it, but that floor space sits beneath a large picture.
Now, say that wall has maybe two feet of empty space off to the left, but then you have an entertainment center in the middle of the room, then another two feet off to the right.
- If you were to go with a traditional cat tree, you’d have one option: choose a side and stick it there, hoping that it doesn’t block anything important.
- With a modular tree, though, you can completely build around your open space. Part of the tree can start on the left, keeping it low enough to avoid that picture.
- The middle can rise up over your entertainment center, and the other end can sit in that empty space on the right.
- Basically, you have endless combinations for where to place the tree. Your cat gets an incredibly cool condo, and you don’t have to rearrange furniture!
As someone with very limited space, I can tell you, modular cat trees are a dream come true.
Why consider a modular tree for your large home?
I have this dream of building a modular cat tree/condo/gym for my kitties that expands around the whole house.
Rather than buying a bunch of single trees that, let’s be honest, don’t often go with the decor, I would love to use modular systems to accomplish this.
See, most modular systems work together, so you can buy as many as you want and endlessly connect them. The result is a more unified and less cluttered look.
Plus, if you also have a dog that tends to drive the kitties nuts, a connected modular system gives them some much-needed peace as they travel from one spot to the next.
Our #1 choice is the Katris, followed closely by the wall-mounted system. Both of these modular cat trees are absolutely gorgeous in their own way, and we know your cats would love them.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, we kind of love the Kitty Claw set. While it’s not as visually appealing as the Katris, it has a lot to offer your kitties.
How about you? Which of these modular cat trees would you buy? Share below!
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API