Let’s talk about cat water fountains, and why you may need one!
Have you noticed your cat being picky when it comes to his water bowl?
Does he prefer the running tap?
If your cat is healthy but exhibits this behavior, you may have a reluctant drinker on your hands.
However, don’t despair, there may be a simple solution.
The cat fountain.
In this post, we will explore some hydration facts for cats, the benefits of having a cat water fountain, and reviews on the top cat water fountains in their category.
Check it out.
How Much Water Does My Cat Need Each Day?
If you are concerned that your feline friend isn’t drinking enough water, you may be worried about nothing.
Daily water intake for your pet will depend on many factors. The size of your cat, the time of year, and your feline’s diet will all determine how much water your Kitty needs.
- For example, large cats like the Maine Coon will need more.
- Likewise, if it’s hot out, you’ll want to make sure kitty is drinking more.
- If you feed your cat a dry diet, he will need more water to help digest the food – kibble only contains about 10% moisture, whereas, canned food is around 80% water.
According to Preventive Vet , a healthy cat (in normal circumstances) will require between 3.5 to 4.5 ounces of fresh water per 5 pounds of body weight each day.
Signs of Dehydration in Cats
If you are concerned your pet may be experiencing dehydration, watch for these signs and symptoms;
Loss of Appetite.
When a cat doesn’t eat, it could be a sign of trouble. Dehydration may not be the cause, but it will be a side effect if it goes on for too long. If your cat hasn’t eaten for 24 hours, get her to your veterinarian for a thorough checkup.
Perform the “skin tent test” to check for dehydration – just pull up on your cat’s skin around its shoulders and watch how fast it settles. Skin that springs back into place is normal, while slow-moving skin could be lacking adequate water intake.
Dry, tacky gums could be a sign of dehydration.
Lethargy or Depression
Is your cat extra sleepy or lazy? Does he lack the energy to play as usual? These could be signs of a lack of water.
Vomiting or Diarrhea.
If you cat has experienced excessive vomiting or diarrhea, he could also be in store for dehydration.
Dull and sunken eyes can be a sign of dehydration.
Unlike dogs, cats don’t usually pant, but they might if they are overheated, which can go along with a case of dehydration.
A good reason to scoop your litter box on a daily basis is so you can monitor your cat’s output. Too little urine could be a sign of dehydration and other urinary tract conditions.
Elevated Heart Rate.
The next time you have your cat to the vet, ask him or her to show you how to take your pet’s pulse rate. Having this skill can help you determine whether Kitty’s heart is racing or is too slow – it could save her life!
Check out this video for a visual on how to do the skin tent test and test for other signs of dehydration in cats.
If your cat is exhibiting any of these signs, encourage her to drink more water. If Kitty refuses, then be sure to get her to the vet for treatment.
Benefits of a Cat Water Fountain
For decades, pet parents have selected a bowl (most likely based on looks or convenience), filled it with tap water and placed it on the floor for Kitty to lap at.
The problem with this method is the water quickly becomes stale, warm and is subject to all manner of debris. If your cat is like mine, the minute a “floaty” shows up in the dish, he’s done!
A standing bowl is also not the best method for the cat’s natural drinking “stance.”
According to research, (and observation) cats use the tip of their tongues, along with inertia (gravity’s opposite), to get the water they need from source to mouth.
They do this by touching the water and quickly drawing their tongue back up to their mouth, W atch your feline the next time he’s at the water bowl.
So, it only makes sense that flowing water would be more appealing to the physiological makeup of the feline body.
Another benefit of a cat water fountain is most use filters to remove debris, hair, and (more importantly) chemicals found in tap water.
This keeps the water fresh and appealing to those finicky felines.
Lastly, cat water fountains continuously move the water in the bowl. This not only aerates the liquid, but it also makes it easier for animals to judge the water level, which most seem to appreciate.
Our Picks for the Best Cat Water Fountains
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Now that we know why we should have a cat water fountain let’s explore the best ones in their category.
Use the comparison table for a quick reference
1. The Best Stainless Steel Cat Water Fountain – Pioneer Big Max
The Pioneer Fountain Big Max is stainless steel at its best. The circulating water starts at the top in a smaller elevated bowl, then flows down in a stream to pool in the larger capacity dish – perfect for multi-cat households, dogs, or picky drinkers that like to have options.
The fully enclosed and quiet pump oxygenates and purifies the water using replaceable charcoal filters, and continuously cleans the water as it circulates.
The stainless steel reservoir comes in two sizes, 60 and 128 ounces.
- Stainless Steel makes it easy to clean and is dishwasher safe
- Charcoal filters are easy to change
- Two-size capacity
- Two tiers for drinking gives variety and offers comfort for the height of the animals
- Flowing water is perfect for lapping
- May be too large and bulky for some customers
- The pump needs to be completely taken apart and cleaned every few months.
What We Like
The Pioneer Fountain Big Max is ideal for multi-pet households. We like the two-tier idea, and the stainless steel is easy to keep clean.
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to your pet
- Replaceable charcoal filter for clean and pure, healthy water
- Dishwasher Safe. Refer the user guide below for Pum Trouble shooting steps and Installation steps
- 128 oz capacity. refer Troubleshooting guide for Product instruction
- Modern design fits in any home décor
2. The Best Quiet Cat Water Fountain – HoneyGuardian Smart Fountain
Flowing water will make a sound, but what if you had the option only to have the water flow when your pet approaches it? That’s just one of the features of the HoneyGuardian Smart Fountain.
This ingenious design works by using three built-in modes;
- Infrared induction mode – will dispense water when the infrared sensor detects your pet within five feet of the fountain.
- Continue mode – dispenses water on a continual basis
- Intermittent mode – circulates water for one hour, then shuts down for 30 minutes.
A simple push of a button changes your fountain from one mode to the next.
Another feature the HoneyGuardian offers is a low-level water reminder. If the water level becomes to low, it automatically shuts itself off, and a LED light will shine as a reminder to add more water.
This unit is also compact and made from food-grade and BPA-free materials.
- Three-modes to operate in
- Holds just over a ½ gallon of water
- Easy to clean
- Uses ultra-low power
- Suitable for cats and small to medium-size dogs
- Reasonably priced
- Functional over fancy
- Water does not pour
What We Like
The three-mode system allows for more versatility of function. It’s quiet because the water does not require a spout to pour from, but still offers the purifying and movement of the water that cats enjoy.
- Built-in 3 working modes : infrared induction mode, continues mode and intermittence mode. Press the power button to change the working mode. In infrared induction mode, the water fountain will dispense water when the infrared sensor detect your pets within 1.5 meters; in continues mode, the water fountain keeps dispensing water 24 hours; in intermittence mode, which circulate water for 1 hour and shut down for 30 minutes.
- Compact and Patent Design: The Max height is 6.3 inches, the Min height is 5.5 inches. The re-circulating system is designed by a wide and smooth slope to keep sure facing more fresh air.If water is not enough, it stops working and remind you to refill water by shining LED light.
- Easy to dissemble and clean: the pet water fountain is easy to dissemble if you follow the instructions, super easy to clean the fountain by water and cleanser. Please replace the carbon filters each 2 or 3 weeks to keep the water pump work longer.
- 2.5L (88oz) Capacity Water to satisfy a cat one week drinking or a medium-sized dog 2-3 days drinking.So you no need to worry about the travel in weekend.
- 12 Months Warranty Supported. No reasons for return or full refund in two months. During warranty time, if anything happens to your HoneyGuaridan W25 automatic pet water fountain, no need to buy another. We will send you a replacement for FREE. We take personal pride in delivering ultimate customer satisfaction.
3. The Best Ceramic Cat Water Fountain – ThirstyCat Fountains
From Upflow Fountains to one made specifically for long hair cats, the ThirstyCat Fountain company is one “cool cat.”
Made in a studio (not an assembly line) these beautifully crafted ceramic cat fountains come in a variety of styles, colors, and water flow to suit any feline’s individual needs.
- The Upflow Fountain is perfect for cats that want moving water, but not a direct stream (think school-type fountain).
- The Tall Upflow Fountain is the one you may consider if your feline has a longer coat – the neck of the fountain is taller to prevent your cat’s hair from dipping into the bowl.
- The Stream Fountain creates a steady flow of water from a beautifully crafted spout that adds a flair of decorative beauty to a serviceable unit.
- Quality crafted
- Many designs to choose from
- Ceramic is sprayed on for added durability
- Cat Tap Add-ons turns an Upflow into a Stream Fountain
- Large capacity bowls available for multi-pet households
- Works of art with the added function will fit into any decor
- Vet recommended
- Outdoor and Indoor models available
- More expensive than most fountains
What We Like
ThirstyCat Fountains are beautifully crafted and look more like a “work of art” than a pet dish. The Cat Tap Add-on is a great way to turn a “low flow” into a pouring stream.Buy It Here
4. The Best Cat Water Fountain at Walmart – Premier Pet Fountain
With 50 ounces of free, filtered water at their disposal, your pets should never be thirsty. The Premier Pet Fountain has a submersible pump that circulates the water through two filtration systems: a foam filter, to remove dirt and hair, and an activated carbon filter, to remove bad taste and odor.
The continuously moving water prevents bacterial growth and keeps the water cleaner than a standing bowl ever could. Plus, your pet will have the option to drink from the free-falling stream or the shallow bowl.
- Holds up to 50 oz. of fresh, filtered water
- Free-falling stream encourages pets to drink more
- Made with BPA-free plastic that is top-shelf dishwasher safe (excluding the pump).
- Fountain plugs into the wall and uses low voltage 12V system for safety
- Design provides function over appearance
What We Like
The two-part filtration system works to pull out both chemicals in the water as well as floating debris. The low price point makes it affordable for everyone.
- Holds up to 50 oz. of fresh, filtered water Constant water circulation prevents bacteria growth
- Free-falling stream encourages pets to drink more
- Designed for Cats and small Dogs
- Contains : Pet Fountain, carbon filter, foam filter, pump, power adaptor, manual
5. The Best Cat Water Fountain at PetSmart – PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape
The PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape fountain isn’t just functional its sleek design will fit into most decors. It comes with a 70-ounce capacity and two ways to filter the water, a sponge to grab floating debris and a carbon filter to purify the water.
The submersible pump and ball-design of the water flow make it super quiet. The entire unit is made from ceramic, making it easier to keep clean and is top-shelf dishwasher safe.
- Functional and aesthetically appealing design
- Effectively cleans the water
- Ceramic is easy to clean
- Reasonably priced
- Two filters to replace
- Water pools not pour
- The pump needs to entirely be taken apart once every month to keep it in optimal working order.
What We Like
The overall design of this unit would fit into most decors. The two-part filtration system gives your pet the optimal tasting and smelling drink every time.
- WATER CAPACITY: 70 oz. water capacity is great for cats and small to medium sized dogs
- ENCOURAGES DRINKING: Moving water entices your pet to drink more and constant circulation inhibits bacteria growth
- FILTERED WATER: Includes replaceable carbon water filter that removes bad tastes and odors, keeping water fresh
- WHISPER-QUIET: Submersible pump and circulating water provides quiet operation and is great for anxious pets
- HYGIENIC CONSTRUCTION: Ceramic design is more hygienic and looks great in the home
- EASY-TO-CLEAN: Fountain is top-shelf dishwasher safe
- PRODUCT SUPPORT: PetSafe brand's U.S.-based Customer Care experts will be glad to help; call Monday through Saturday at 1-800-845-3274
- EXPERIENCE: PetSafe brand has been an industry leading U.S. manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
6. The Best Cat Water Fountain on Amazon – Mospro Pet Fountain
The Mospro Pet Fountain comes in two sizes, 1.6 and 2 liters. This unit is designed to hold the water, so there’s no need to replenish it as often. The whisper quiet motor won’t disturb you or your pets and uses two pieces of replaceable activated carbon filters, which can be used repeatedly.
This cat water fountain has three water flow settings: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain mode perfect for all kinds of pets. The recessed sink and water circulation system are designed to increase the contact area of water and air, which provides more oxygen to the water.
- Made of finely polished antibacterial PP resin material
- BPA-free, non-toxic and odorless, with food-grade certification
- The quick-release structure is designed for easy removal and cleaning
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Two sizes
- Stores the water for less replenishing
- Multistage filtration will require more cleaning
What We Like
This fountain’s capacity to store water is great for busy people or for those that need to be gone overnight. The unit is whisper quiet and is appealing to look at.
- 【FUN & 2L LARGE CAPACITY】 No need to replenish water frequently and it can not only meet the drinking needs of cats, dogs, birds and other pets of various sizes, but also a natural bird bath and a funny pet toy. The stored water can be used for one month.
- 【ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY MATERIAL】Made of finely polished antibacterial PP resin material, this automatic water bowl is BPA-free, non-toxic and odorless, and obtains food-grade certification. Simple quick-release structure is designed for easy removal and cleaning.
- 【SUPER SILENT & LOW CONSUMPTION】 With the super silent pump, you can hardly hear the sound of water. With 2W low power consumption, and run dry for up to one week.
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】 3 water flow settings: flower waterfall, flower bubble and gentle fountain mode. The recessed sink and water circulation system are designed to increase the contact area of water and air, and provide more oxygen to the water, bringing health and vitality to pets. Stylish appearance design with blue color - the cats and dogs' favorite color.
- 【WHAT YOU GET】 Equipped with two pieces of replaceable activated carbon filters, which can be used repeatedly after drying in the sun, to remove bad taste and odor, and keep the water fresh (please rinse the filter cotton thoroughly before use). 24-hour professional service center, full refund within 30 days, 12 months warranty and 24/7/365 technical support.
Providing your pet with a water fountain offers many benefits like increasing your pet’s desire to drink more. Cat water fountains are also designed to remove chemicals, odors, and bad tastes, through a filtration system. Whether you choose one of these top five models or find on that suits your individual needs, water fountains are a healthy addition to any pet parent’s home.
Do you have any of these cat water fountains? Tell us your favorite below!
Last update on 2019-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API