Looking for the best water fountains for Persian cats?
Wondering why they even need a specific style of fountain in the first place?
I’ve got you covered on both counts!
Today, we’ll discuss why fountains work best for flat-faced kitties, then take a look at my top picks.
Let’s check it out!
Did you READ these Top 10 Wicker cat tree REVIEWS
Our Top Picks
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
In a rush and need something right away? Check out our top picks on the table below!
Why do Persian Cats Need a Water Fountain?
While drinking out of a regular old water bowl isn’t impossible or even necessarily dangerous for your flat-faced kitty, it’s definitely not the ideal option.
If you think about our own physiology, it’s easy to understand why Persians would be more comfortable with a fountain.
Would you want to stick your face into a bowl of water to get a drink? No, right? It would be very uncomfortable, with the water going up our noses and getting in our eyes.
With Persian cats, sticking their face in the water to get a drink also means getting those lovely whiskers wet, something that most cats don’t enjoy.
Also, while not every Persian has breathing problems, brachycephalic cats in general do tend to have more difficulty breathing than their longer-snout counterparts.
Plain and simple, a fountain allows Persians to get a drink without practically submerging their face in the water.
Fortunately, there are so many different types designed to fit all budgets, so it’s not terribly expensive to grab one for your kitty.
Let’s take a look at a few for every budget.
By the way, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Related: Top 100 Persian Cat Names
Best Water Fountains for Persian Cats
You May Also Like
Ready for the reviews? Let’s dive in!
1. IPETTIE Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain Review
The IPETTIE ceramic cat fountain is stylish, quiet and easy to clean thanks to the ceramic materials. Let’s take a closer look.
Features & Pros
- Made with high-quality earth-friendly ceramic materials that aren’t toxic to your kitty.
- The three free-falling streams not only make it great for multiple cats but also serve another function: adding oxygen into the fresh water.
- Two filtration systems ensure that your kitty is always drink fresh water. The filter also keeps cat hair from gumming up the whole system.
- Carbon and charcoal filter helps remove odors and nasty tastes from your cat’s water.
- Super quiet and super energy-efficient.
- Big enough to hold at least two week’s worth of clean drinking water.
- Easy to clean with removable parts.
- You need to replace the filters regularly and they’re fairly pricey.
- Some owners complain that the water comes out too quickly for their cat.
- It’s a bit heavy compared to traditional water bowls (about 7 pounds)
- You have to plug it into the wall. No battery-operated option.
The plug is really the only thing I don’t like about the IPETTIE.
I’d prefer a battery-operated option just because I don’t really have an outlet close enough to where my cats eat and drink.
The weight isn’t a major issue if you use the filters, but if you’re opting to skip them to save money you’ll need to carry the bowl to the sink daily for fresh water.
Still, overall, I think this is a fantastic Persian cat water fountain and definitely my #1 pick (although only by a smidge, as I do love the others on this list, too).
- Healthy Material and Easy to Clean - Tritone Cat Water Fountain is made of high-quality natural ceramic, eco-friendly, easy to clean and way better than plastic fountain.
- Dual Filtration System: Mechanical filtration with a foam filter surrounding the pump prevents pets’ hair and other debris from the pump and the tank. Chemical filtration with carbon and charcoal helps to remove bad odors and tastes.
- Whisper-quiet Operation: The CE certificated IP68 waterproof pump runs with 2W low consumption. The only sound you may hear is the water dripping through the strainer into the bowl. Keep the water level above the ‘MIN’ mark on the cone to avoid the pump running dry and burnt out.
- Large Capacity: With 71oz / 2.1L capacity, this water fountain can provide enough water for a pet to drink 2 weeks or above, great for short trip lovers, as you will be free from frequent water replenishment and no need to worry about water shortage of your furry babies!
- Reply within 24-hour Customer Care - Let our pet product experts help. The water pump enjoys 3 year warranty.
Related: cat water fountain battery operated: are they worth it?
2. Veken Pet Fountain Review
If you don’t mind buying a plastic Persian cat bowl (and I don’t), then let me introduce you to the Veken.
It has many of the same great features as a ceramic or stainless steel bowl but without the heft.
Features & Pros
- Made with BPA-free non-toxic materials.
- Super quiet and low energy consumption.
- The pump lasts a fairly long time (between 2.5-4 years).
- Large capacity means your Persian won’t run out of fresh water anytime soon!
- Three different flows ranging from a gentle fountain to a full-on waterfall. The waterfall would work best for Persians.
- Uses a triple filtration system, including activated carbon, a cotton layer and ionic filtration.
- Again, replacing the filter will be an ongoing charge, and they’re not exactly cheap compared to the overall product price.
- No battery option.
- Doesn’t last as long as some of the more durable options.
- Customer service problems seems to be a common issue.
Although it’s not one of my all-time favorites, I include it for a couple of reasons. First, not everyone wants ceramic or steel.
Second, it’s a budget-friendly option for those who can’t afford $50+ on a Persian cat water fountain.
Finally, if you look at the cost compared to the reviews, it’s really a good buy, as the vast majority of customers do really love it.
- Ultra-quiet & low consumption pump – The Veken pump is ultra-quiet (measured below 40dB) and low consumption which means that it normally lasts between 2.5 - 4 years!
- 2.5L large capacity – It has a water capacity of 2.5 liters (84 ounces), which means that it is great for small to medium sized pets. The circulation system helps provide healthy and hygienic water for beloved pets all day.
- BPA free & quality material – Made of quality PP resin, this automatic water bowl is BPA free, durable, and it’s easy to operate and clean. Furthermore, each fountain comes with 1 silicone pad to catch splashing water from spills.
- 3 different flow designs – Veken Pet Fountain has 3 modes: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain. Each mode is specifically designed to meet the needs of various pets. The free-falling stream and bright color will attract curious pets to check it out.
- Triple filtration system – The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of a cotton layer, activated carbon, and an ion exchange resin, forming a triple filtration system to help keep your pets healthy and hydrated.
3. PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda Water Fountain Review
I’m a fan of the PetSafe line of products, so of course I adore their pagoda-style fountain.
In fact, after much research, it’s my top pick for the best Persian cat water fountain.
It’s super stylish in a minimalist way, making it a perfect fit for any decor.
Plus, the overall style of the water flow means your Persian will never have to stick her face anywhere near the bowl.
Features & Pros
- Holds up to 70 oz. of water, making it great for multiple cats as well as your small family dog.
- Two streams help oxygenate the water and keep it fresh.
- Replaceable carbon filter removes nasty odors and tastes.
- For senior cats who do drink right from the bowl, having two levels is a great help!
- Ceramic is more hygienic overall than plastic, and a lot easier to clean. You can even put it in the dishwasher!
- Lasts a VERY long time (one top reviewer updates her review every year, and it’s been over 5 years since she bought it).
- Replacement filters are pretty inexpensive, especially compared to others.
- Only one type of flow, so if it’s too fast for your cat there isn’t much you can do about it.
- No battery option.
- No automatic sensor, so you have to keep an eye on the water. If it gets to low, the pump can burn out.
- Some users say it’s kind of noisy.
The PetSafe takes the prize for my top Persian cat bowl pick for a good reason: it’s designed to last a long time and cheap to operate compared to others.
Yes, you’ll probably have to replace those filters monthly, but it’ll only cost you about $3 to do so (each replacement pack has more than 1 and neither are over $5).
What really sells me on it (aside from the beautiful design) is the fact that one reviewer has had hers for 5+ years now.
So, while it’s the priciest fountains on this list, if it lasts you even 3 years it’s a better deal than any of the others.
- Water Capacity: 70 Oz. Water Capacity Is Great For Cats And Small To Medium Sized Dogs
- Encourages Drinking: Dual Free Falling Streams Add Oxygen For Freshness And Encourage Pets To Drink More Water
- Filtered Water: Includes Replaceable Carbon Water Filter That Removes Bad Tastes And Odors, Keeping Water Fresh
- Two Bowl Levels: Upper And Lower Dish Provides Two Drinking Areas For Pets; Elevated Dish Is Great For Senior Or Arthritic Pets
- Hygienic Construction: Ceramic Design Is More Hygienic And Looks Great In The Home
- Easy To Clean: Fountain Is Top-Shelf Dishwasher Safe; Low-Voltage 12V System With Submersible Pump For Safe And Quiet Operation
- Product Support: Petsafe Brand'S U.S Based Customer Care Experts Will Be Glad To Help, Call Monday Through Saturday
4. DINGQU Drinkwell Lotus Cat Water Fountain Review
Another ceramic option that’s slightly more budget-friendly than the PetSafe Drinkwell, the Lotus is as beautiful as it is practical.
Features & Pros
- Eco-friendly and made from high-quality natural non-toxic ceramic.
- The circulating water design helps oxygenate the water and keep it fresh.
- Dual filters to prevent cat hair from getting into the system and keep odors & nasty tastes out.
- Super quiet and low energy consumption.
- Hold enough water for two weeks.
- Easy to clean.
- Again, no battery option. Apparently a battery-operated cat fountain is something you can only find in your dreams.
- Unclear as to what type of filters it uses and how much they cost.
- Unclear as to what brand actually makes it.
So, I’ll be honest: I included this one because I wanted to give you a beautiful ceramic option that doesn’t cost a fortune.
It doesn’t have any reviews on Amazon yet, but I like to give new brands a chance.
Here’s what I recommend in this case: get it and try it, but make sure you decide whether you love it or not within the return window.
It’s so beautiful that it’s definitely worth a try. Plus, the flow is just right for Persian kitties.
- Health Material and Design - Pet Fountain is made of high-quality natural ceramics at 1300 degrees. It is environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Circulating water design allows oxygen to be added to the water and attracts your pet to drink more.
- Dual filtration (mechanical + chemical) system mechanical filtration is made up of foam filters around the pump to prevent pet hair and other debris from entering the pump. Chemical filler. Carbon and charcoal penetration helps eliminate bad odors and odors.
- Super silent design: directly connected to domestic AC power supply, circulating pump keeps 2W low power operation. The noise you may hear is that water drips through filters into reservoirs.
- Appropriate capacity - 1.5L/50.8 oz, enough for a cat to drink for more than two weeks. Ceramic material also makes it not knocked down by your pet. It is very suitable for short-distance enthusiasts. You will avoid inadvertent and frequent water replenishment. You do not need to worry about your pet's water shortage!
- Ceramic materials make fountains cleaner and easier to clean, and make water quality safer. It can be used for a long time. You don't have to worry about falling down like a plastic fountain.
5. Drinkwell 360 Fountain Stainless Steel
Last but far from least, for those who prefer stainless steel, take a look at the Drinkwell 360.
Features & Pros
- Made with high-grade stainless steel construction.
- Huge capacity, holds 128 oz.
- Depending on how to configure it, includes up to 6 free-falling streams.
- Carbon filter to remove the nasties.
- Totally customizable stream. Slow it down or speed it up.
- 360 design is perfect for multiple pets.
- Top-rack dishwasher safe.
- Quiet operation.
- Inexpensive filters.
- May be a bit too much fountain for your cat (it’s fairly large compared to others on this list).
- The black plastic clips that hold it in place kind of ruin the aesthetics.
- Hard to read the “minimum” and “maximum” markings for the water level.
- The basin itself is fairly shallow (however, we’re looking more at the flow for Persians, so this isn’t a major con).
- Yep, no battery option.
While the shallow basin may be an issue for dogs and cats without flat faces, we’re more concerned with how it works for Persians.
With that in mind, I think this is a great option! I love that you have near total control over the flow, and stainless steel is more hygienic than other materials.
It’s not the most of the best water fountains for Persian cats, or even the most stylish of the PetSafe Drinkwells, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
- Age Range Description: all ages
The PetSafe Drinkwell ceramic lotus style is by far my favorite out of all the best water fountains for Persian cats, but the stainless steel PetSafe is a close second.
Although they are the most expensive options on this list, their durability justifies the price.
Your turn! Which of our picks for the best water fountains for Persian cats would you buy? Share below!
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Last update on 2021-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API