Searching for the best vacuums for cat litter?
We’ve got you covered!
We’re taking a deep dive into the best cat litter vacuums in every single category!
Keep reading for the entire guide, or use the table of contents below to jump to the section you need most.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
We’re covering A LOT of ground below! If you’re in a rush and just need the perfect vacuum right now, though, Check this table
Vacuums for Cat Litter: Do You Need One?
If you are a cat owner, dealing with litter outside the litter box is a common problem.
Some cats like to dig so much that they throw litter everywhere when they use the box. Some types of litter also have such high traction that your cat carries it all over the house.
Since litter particles are small, it’s easy for them to get stuck in carpets, between floorboards, and every possible nook.
You sweep, but you still keep finding litter in the most unlikely places, and you notice an unpleasant odor hanging around your house.
Eventually, you get sick of sweeping every time your cat uses its litter box and start wondering if you can’t vacuum the mess with your vacuum cleaner.
Unfortunately, not all vacuum cleaners are suitable for the task.
Let’s see what features you should look for in a cat litter vacuum.
Most vacuum cleaners can handle a small amount of litter from time to time. So, you can use a vacuum to clean litter with no problems.
But if you’re planning on doing it regularly, you need a special vacuum for the job. Otherwise, you’ll soon have to replace your regular vacuum.
Let’s see why.
We can divide cat litter into three general types – clay, biodegradable, and silica. No matter what type you use, all litters harden to absorb moisture.
That’s why it’s so difficult to scrape it off the box after a few days.
The problem is that these particles can damage your vacuum’s components.
When you vacuum, they travel at high speed and might hit a delicate part, resulting in a break or damage.
Litter is also sharp and can destroy hoses and filters. Think about it as if you’re vacuuming small, sharp rocks.
No one likes mold in their house, but few know that soiled litter is the perfect breeding ground for mold.
Vacuuming wet litter or cleaning wet areas after vacuuming dry one creates the ideal conditions for mold to thrive.
If mold grows, you can spread it through the vacuum around the whole house. That can be a problem for people with breathing problems, such as asthma.
Litter, especially clay-based, produces a lot of dust. You can see it when you pour the dust into the litter box and when you scoop it clean.
Dust can build inside your vacuum cleaner, especially around the motor and the brushes. It can clog your machine and lead to overheating.
You might switch to dust-free brands, but there would still be some dust particles in the air.
Cat litter has a specific odor once it absorbs your cat’s waste.
The smell can build around your vacuum’s inner part and spread throughout the whole house.
You might not have another choice but throw the vacuum cleaner away because you can’t get rid of the pungent odors hanging around.
How to Choose Cat Litter Vacuums?
There are so many models and brands that anyone would have a hard time deciding when it comes to vacuums.
Since you want a machine that can handle litter, you have to be even more careful in your selection.
So, here are a couple of things to keep in mind when you’re looking for a cat litter vacuum.
#1 Power and Filtration
Since you don’t want to change vacuum cleaners every couple of months, you need a good machine to handle the sharp litter particles without breaking.
To prevent dust from destroying filters and motors, you need a cleaner with a bypass flow motor.
It separates dust and air so that the particles can’t accumulate inside the machine.
Usually, such cleaners also have a powerful suction, which you want since litter tends to stick to carpets and floors.
#2 Type of Flooring
Think about where your litter box is and what type of flooring you have around the house.
Some vacuums work better on low carpets, while others are suitable only for floors.
Vacuuming carpets and rugs require roller brushes that can get dislodged particles.
On the other hand, you’ll need a vacuum with a hard floor attachment for hard floors or surfaces.
#3 Bagged vs. Bagless
Bagged and bagless vacuum cleaners have their advantage when dealing with litter. Let me walk you through them.
Bagged vacuums collect dust, dirt, and debris in a bag. The downside is that you have to replace the bag and filter when they get dirty.
Bagless models, on the other hand, have a container that gathers the debris. You have to empty it after each use, which can create the occasional dust cloud.
But you avoid letting a bag of dirty litter sit for days inside the vacuum.
Moreover, you can wash the container if any smells and odors linger. You can’t do that with bagged cleaners, and the risk of soiled litter with them is higher.
As such, bagless vacuums are better suited for dealing with kitty litter.
Still, a bagged vacuum will do the job as long as you replace the bag frequently and clean the filter.
#4 Cordless vs. Corded
In general, cordless vacuums are light, portable, and easy to maneuver.
However, they don’t have the same powerful suction as some corded ones, have a small dust capacity, and require frequent recharging.
Corded models will be a better choice for cat litter, but it still depends on how much cleaning you plan to do and where (under furniture, corners, walls, and so on).
If you hate dragging/carrying a vacuum around, a handheld cordless one can still do an excellent job.
Finally, cat litter vacuums should be sturdy and durable. You want a machine that will last you for years without needing repairs.
Unfortunately, such vacuums can be expensive. However, they can be a good investment if you choose the right one.
Top 18 Best Cat Litter Vacuums
When it comes to vacuums, there’s a rich variety. We’ve got canister vacuums, stick vacuums, handheld, robotic, and so on.
Each type of vacuum has its pros and cons and can be useful in your fight against litter.
So, we’re going to take a look at the best vacuums from each category.
Check out the tables in each section for a quick look, then read on for in-depth reviews.
Top 5 Best Upright Vacuums for Cat Litter
In general, upright vacuums are perfect for carpets and hardwood floors.
They feature a brush roll that’s ideal for loosening debris from rugs and carpeted areas, such as litter. They’ve also got a powerful suction capacity.
However, upright vacuums aren’t as versatile as other models and might be heavy to push around.
#1 Dirt Devil Razor Multi Floor Vacuum
If you need a powerful vacuum to clean hardwood floors, carpets, and rugs, you don’t need to look further than Dirt Devil and their Multi-Floor bagless vacuum.
It’s a powerful machine, which can handle kitty litter and pet hair without problems.
One of the big advantages of this vacuum is its three-stage filtration system that provides maximum cleaning with no suction loss.
It also features a rinseable filter and a foam sleeve for fine dust and dirt, which is great for people with allergies.
More importantly, Dirt Devil Razor can swivel and swerve, which allows you to vacuum around and under furniture with ease.
All you have to do is tilt the handle!
Furthermore, this corded vacuum has Spin4Pro Premium Pet Brushroll and Turboclaw pet tool.
You can remove pet hair from any surface with ease, even when the dirt and hair are embedded in the upholstery.
The instant cleaning wand is also an excellent extra that allows you to reach high/low places with no problems.
The vacuum also has got a long cord and weighs 12 lbs. It’s not too heavy, and the design makes it easy for storage.
However, long cat hairs might get tangled in the brush, so you need to clean it after each vacuuming.
Moreover, some customers point out that spare parts are expensive and hard to find.
- 3-stage filtration
- washable filters
- foam sleeve
- Pet Brushroll and Turboclaw
- an instant cleaning wand
- relatively light
- hair gets tangled in the brush
- spare parts might be hard to find
- SWIVEL AND SWERVE: Dirt and hair tucked in corners and under furniture are no match for the full 180-degree movement of this powerful upright
- NO LOSS OF SUCTION: Not only is the Endura filter equipped for powerful, long lasting upright vacuum cleaner performance – it’s also easily accessible + risible for quick maintenance when you need it
- POWERFUL SPIN4PRO MULTI FLOOR BRUSH ROLL + AUTOMATIC FLOOR HEIGHT ADJUST: This is just fancy for, “You, your pets, and your carpets and hard floors are going to be so happy. ”
- QUICK AND EASY REACH: Power through dirt and pet hair high and low with 10 ft. of extra reach with a wave of the removable extension wand - which pops just as easily back into the vacuum when you’re done
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Get ahead of the shed with the on-board TURBOCLAW pet turbo tool and 2-in-1 dusting brush and crevice tool. Bonus: this unit also has an odor-trapping filter AND anti-hair wrap dirt cup
#2 Bissell CleanView Upright Bagless Vacuum
Bissell is another brand with a well-earned reputation among cat owners, thanks to their high-quality products.
It’s no surprise that their CleanView bagless vacuum is included in our list of the best vacuums for cat litter.
The CleanView corded vacuum features a multi-cyclonic cleaning system for powerful suction that won’t miss anything within its reach.
Since the system separates dirt and air, you don’t have to worry about litter damaging the inside of the machine.
This Bissell’s vacuum also has a multi-level filtration to capture the smallest dust particles, and its filters are washable.
It also includes a Febreze vacuum filter (not washable) that eliminates odors and keeps the smell from permeating into your home.
That’s perfect for vacuuming soiled litter.
Another advantage is CleanView’s Turbo brush that removes embedded dirt, dust, and pet hair from various surfaces.
The vacuum is suitable for bare floors, carpets, hard floors, stairs, and upholstery, so it has you covered.
Moreover, this bagless vacuum has an easy empty feature, which reduces the mess when emptying the container.
You also get special tools for cleaning hard-to-reach areas, such as a crevasse tool and a dusting brush.
I also like that this upright vacuum has a long cord (25 ft), so you move it around without worrying about unplugging and plugging it again.
Unfortunately, the cord isn’t retractable, and customers mention that it gets in the way when vacuuming.
- a multi-cyclonic cleaning system
- multi-level filtration
- odor-eliminating filter
- a Turbo brush
- suitable for various surfaces
- long cord
- extra accessories for cleaning tight spots
- the cord doesn’t retract automatically
- Every purchase saves pets
- One pass technology with powerful suction and innovative brush design to clean on the initial pass (removes most surface debris based on visual test BTP0221)
- Powerful, multi cyclonic suction system for lasting suction that captures and keeps dirt in the bin, where it belongs
- Multi-level filtration with a washable filter helps reduce household dust and allergens. Power: 8 amps
- Lightweight design makes it easy to carry and push without sacrificing power. Automatic cord rewind no. Surface type: Bare floors, carpet, sealed hard floors, low pile carpet, stairs, upholstery
- Extended cleaning reach with a 25 foot power cord, 6 foot hose, and 13.5 inch cleaning path; Dirt cup capacity 2 liters
# 3 Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
If you’re looking for a kitty litter vacuum for deep-cleaning, you can’t go wrong with Shark Rotator Lift-Away.
It’s perfect for embedded dirt or pet hair and has an option to switch to hard floors.
However, the Shark Rotator’s biggest advantage is its completely sealed HEPA system and anti-allergen seal, which captures up to 99% of dust and particles.
That’s great when you’re dealing with a possible allergen, such as litter.
Moreover, Shark Rotator has a detachable Powered Lift-Away pod to make vacuum under furniture and above-floor a piece of cake.
It also comes with a crevice tool for hard-to-reach areas and a pet brush to clean stubborn pet hair from upholstery and furniture.
Another advantage is that you can use the LED headlight to find dirt/litter under furniture and bed, and the long cord gives you plenty of flexibility.
Moreover, you can easily switch from carpet to floors thanks to the fingertip controls.
However, it’s a bulky machine, and it’s not very easy to maneuver with it. Moreover, it’s expensive, but it has a 5-year limited warranty.
- a sealed HEPA system
- a detachable pod
- extra accessories
- LED headlight
- fingertip control
- not very cheap
- Capacity - .88 Dry Quarts. Shark's original full-sized Powered Lift-Away. The canister detaches to deep-clean hard-to-reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brushroll spinning.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
- XL capacity with full-size performance.
- Fingertip controls allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode.
- Wattage: 1150 W
- Power Source Type: Corded Electric
#4 Hoover Pet Max Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Hoover’s produce is the next in our list of best vacuum for cat litter on carpets and hard floors.
Their Pet Max product is designed for better suction with less maintenance, and you can use it on carpets and floors alike, thanks to its brush on/off switch.
Another great thing about Pet Max Cleaner is its allergen block technology, which captures 97% of the dander, pet hairs, and pollen.
So, it won’t have problems contain cat litter as well.
Moreover, it has a 12 ft extended reach and a quick-release wand that gives you flexibility and allows you to clean high spots with ease.
You never know when your kitty is going to tract litter up the bookcase!
Hoover’s product also includes a pet kit to help you get rid of cat hair on any surface, including stairs and upholstery.
You also get a crevice tool and a dusting brush.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t swivel or swerve, which makes cleaning under beds and furniture slightly difficult.
It’s also heavy, but it’s got a long power cord so that you cover more distance before you have to unplug/plug it again.
- brush on/off switch
- allergen block technology
- a quick-release wand
- a pet kit
- it doesn’t swivel
- not very light
- PERFECT FOR PETS: Multi-purpose pet tools tackle stubborn pet hair and dirt on furniture, stairs and hard to reach areas
- ALLERGENBLOCK TECHNOLOGY: Captures 97% of pet dander, dust and pollen particles and blocks them from re-entering the air
- POWERFUL CLEANING ON ALL FLOORS: Delivers optimal results on carpets and hard floors
- XL DIRT CUP: A large easy empty dirt cup means less trips to the trash for a more convenient clean
- RUNS LIKE NEW 3X LONGER: The enhanced MAXLife System delivers longer lasting suction to maintain peak performance without regular filter maintenance
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Pet Turbo Tool, Crevice Tool, Flexible Dusting Brush & Pivoting Dusting Brush
#5 Dyson Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
This Dyson model impresses with its Radical Root cyclone technology and redesigned brush bar, which drives bristles deep into the carpet.
It also features a tangle-free Turbine tool with counter-rotating heads to remove dirt/hair easily.
Moreover, Dyson DC65 comes with a handful of tools that can be handy when vacuuming litter.
It has an Up Top tool, which twists in different positions, a soft dusting brush for flat surfaces, and a stiff bristle brush for carpets.
Furthermore, you can clean hard-to-reach areas and tight spots with the Reach Under Tool.
The mattress tool, on the other hand, is perfect for removing allergens, dust, and pet hair from your mattresses.
However, this Dyson Animal vacuum is heavy and might be awkward to use.
The container is also not that easy to empty, especially when it’s full of dirt, mud, and litter particles.
- a Radical Root cyclone filtration
- a tangle-free tool
- a Reach Under Tool
- suitable for deep carpet cleaning
- might not be easy to empty
- Radial Root Cyclone technology
- Reconfigured brush bar: 25% more power drives bristles deeper into carpets, removing more dirt
- Tangle-free Turbine tool: The only turbine tool that does not tangle. Counter-rotating heads with brushes remove hair and dirt from upholstery
- Includes Extra Tools: Tangle-free Turbine Tool, Flat Out Tool, Soft Dusting Brush, Multi Angle Brush, Stiff Bristle Brush, 2-in-1 Combination and Stair Tool
3 Best Stick Vacuums for Cat Litter on Hardwood Floors
Think about stick vacuums as a lighter and slimmer version of upright ones.
They’re great for whisking away small debris and they maneuver well around furniture.
However, stick vacuums don’t have such strong suction, and you can’t rely on them for deep cleaning or picking up large debris.
On the bright side, cordless stick vacuums offer you great freedom of movement, but their lithium-ion battery might have a short life.
#1 Bissell PowerEdge Bagless Stick Vacuum
Bissell PowerEdge is best suited for hardwood floors, and its innovative V-shaped foot is excellent for picking small/large debris.
It also features a rubber squeegee system for picking cat hair and dirt from floors and hard-to-reach areas.
Bissell is also on our list of the best stick vacuums for cat litter because it’s light, versatile, and has swivel steering to clean around furniture.
It also has cyclonic filtration to separate air and dust, so you don’t have to worry about damaged parts.
Moreover, Bissell PowerEdge has an easy to empty dirt cup to reduce the mess after you’ve finished vacuuming.
It also features a 20-feet long cord, which gives you plenty of room to move around the house.
However, some cat owners point out that Bissell PowerEdge clogs from time to time and that it doesn’t have as strong suction power as they expected.
- a V-shaped foot
- swivel steering
- cyclonic filtration
- long cord
- designed for pet hair/dirt
- might clog
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- The V-shape directs larger debris into the center suction path, while the ends of the V capture small, fine debris
- Easily cleans aroundfurniture legs and on low pile are legs; Hose Length: No Hose
- Easy-to-empty dirtcup makes project cleanup a breeze. Power Rating: 6amps
- Cleaning Path Width: 11. 35 inches (V-Shape), Power Cord Length: 20 feet
- Power Source Type: Corded Electric
#2 Bissell Featherweight Stick Lightweight Bagless Vacuum
Another great product from Bissell is their Featherweight stick vacuum. It combines three tools in one – a stick, a handle vacuum, and a stair cleaner.
It works best on hardwood floors, but you can also use it to pick surface dirt from low pile carpets, countertops, and rug areas.
Since this stick vacuum weighs approximately three pounds, you can forget about dragging heavy machines around.
It also comes with a crevice tool and a floor nozzle to clean corners, edges, and other hard to reach places.
The biggest disadvantage is that it has a standard filtration system, and picking too much kitty litter at once might damage it.
It also has a short cord, but its lightness, versatility, and price make it perfect for cleaning the occasional litter mess.
- combines three tools in one
- extra accessories for hard-to-reach places
- standard filtration system
- short cord
- not suitable for high pile carpets
- Powerful, convenient, and easy to use
- Powerful suction makes it great for quick pick ups with multipurpose versatility
- Versatile cleaning three machines in one: A stick vacuum, handle vacuum, and stair vacuum
- With a crevice tool for furniture and a floor nozzle for stairs
- Clean hard floors and surface dirt on carpets and area rugs. Surface type: Counter tops, sealed hard floors, low pile carpet. Dirt cup capacity: 0.67 liter
#3 Shark Rocket DeluxePro Ultra-Light Upright Corded Stick Vacuum
If you’re looking for a light but powerful kitty litter vacuum, you should take a look at Shark Rocket DeluxePro.
It has two settings – one for hardwood floors/area rugs and another for high pile carpets to tackle embedded dirt.
Moreover, Shark Rocket DeluxePro converts into a handheld vacuum and comes with several useful tools.
These include a motorized floor nozzle, a duster tool, a pet brush, and a wand.
Moreover, it has a LED headlight to illuminate spilled litter and advanced swivel steering so that you can clean around obstacles.
Its dust cup is XL-size, so it can handle a lot of debris before you have to empty it.
However, some users note that the Shark Rocket DeluxePro has a heavy motor and is more awkward to use than expected.
- suitable for floors and carpets
- converts into a handheld cleaner
- extra tools
- advanced swivel steering
- LED headlight
- an XL-size dust cup
- might be awkward to use due to a heavy motor
- No loss of suction. To clean bare floors, area rugs, or with accessories-slide the power switch to setting l, bare floor, small area rugs. Tilt the handle back while gently stepping on the floor nozzle. The brushrolls will spin slowly in this mode. To clean carpets-slide the power switch to setting ll, High Pile Carpets. Tilt the handle back while gently stepping on the floor nozzle. The brushrolls will spin quickly in this mode
- Powerful 2 in 1 vacuum deep cleans your carpets and hardwood floors
- Perfect for quick pickups; Cord length: 25 feet
- Designed to clean everywhere with the included attachments; Rinse both with tap water until the water runs clean, then air dry completely and insert back into your vacuum
- Included attachments: Handheld vacuum, motorized floor nozzle, wand, duster crevice tool, pet multi tool
3 Best Canister Vacuums for Kitty Litter
If you’ve got different types of flooring inside your house, you can’t go wrong with a canister vacuum.
Unlike stick and upright vacuums, they’ve got a tank with an attached hose and are suitable for cleaning almost any surface in your home.
Usually, canister vacuums have great suction power, but they’re heavy, and it’s not always convenient to drag the canister around or up/down the stairs.
#1 Armor All Utility Shop Vacuum
Do you have to deal with soiled litter often? Then you won’t be disappointed by Armor All’s utility shop vacuum.
It’s perfect for dry and liquid cleaning and can handle litter with no problem thanks to its powerful 2 peak HP motor, great suction power, and 2.5-gallon tank.
Moreover, this utility shop vacuum comes with all the necessary interior cleaning tools that you might need. Y
ou get a crevice tool, a detail brush for delicate parts (vents, dashboards, and so on), and a 2-in-1 utility nozzle.
This dry/wet utility vacuum is on our list of the best cat litter vacuums because it’s also compact, easy to carry around, and has onboard accessory storage.
It also converts into a blower, which might come in handy.
However, users note that the vacuum is loud, which can be stressful for pets. Some also complain that it’s difficult to clean.
- suitable for dry/wet cleaning
- large tank
- tools for interior cleaning
- compact and easy to move
- might be difficult to clean
- 2.5 Gallon Polypropylene Tank
- 2 Peak HP Motor
- 10 Ft. Cord With Cord Wrap
- Blower Function – Easy Conversion
- On-board Accessory & Hose Storage
#2 Severin Germany Special Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
If you’re looking for a canister bagless vacuum with great suction power, you should take a look at Severin and their product.
It features a Multi-Cyclonic System and is suitable for floors and carpets, making it one of the best vacuums for cat litter.
Moreover, Severin has a HEPA filter to remove dust, allergens, mold, and spores from the sucked air. The filter also absorbs odor, so you don’t have to worry about the litter stinking up the vacuum.
The Severin vacuum comes with handy accessories for pet owners, such as a Jet Drive turbo brush for deep cleaning, an XXL upholstery nozzle with Claw-collect for removing embedded dirt, and a parquet nozzle for floors.
Moreover, the vacuum has a soft sound design, which might make your cat less scared when you vacuum.
It’s not the lightest vacuum, but it has a long, retractable cord that gives you room for movement.
- suitable for floors and carpets
- a Hepa Filter
- an odor-absorbing filter
- pet-friendly accessories
- works quietly
- Cleans hard-floors and carpets, it's easy to handle thanks to adjustable power regulation, and provides high, constant suction on all surfaces
- With its advanced, anti-smell heap active carbon filtration system, it is ideal for pet owners and for those of us who suffer from various allergies
- Comes with a wide variety of tools including: An extra large upholstery tool with a "Claw-Collect" system that capture hairs, fibers and dirt quickly. Enjoyable silent- 74 dB
- Includes a 2-part accessory set, furniture and crevice nozzle, also, features a long extra large easy touch telescopic tube
- No bags and no filters are required, vacuum waste is held in a bin and removal of trash has never been easier
#3 Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Corded Vacuum
The biggest advantage of Miele is that it’s specially designed for cat and dog owners.
It features an adjustable Electrobrush with five height setting, suitable for different carpets to remove embedded debris and pet hair.
Moreover, Miele has six suction settings, ensuring that no debris will be left behind no matter what surfaces you’re cleaning.
Its Active AirClean filtration system also captures 99.9% of all allergens and neutralizes pet odors, thanks to its charcoal layers.
While relatively heavier than upright models, Miele’s corded vacuum is easy to maneuver and comes with a crevice tool for tight spaces, a dusting brush, an upholstery tool, and a Mini Turbo Brush (for removing pet hair from furniture).
However, it’s an expensive machine, and the canister isn’t bagless.
- specially designed for pet owners
- adjustable Electrobrush
- six suction settings
- an AirClean filtration system
- neutralizes pet odors
- extra tools, including Turbo Brush for pet hair
- not the cheapest option
- Bundles Includes - Miele's AH50 GN Performance Pack - Comes With 16 Genuine Miele GN Airclean FilterBags, 1 Genuine Miele HEPA Air Clean Filter AH-50 and 4 Pre-Motor Protection Filters
- Comes with a Built-in "SoftCarpet" mode that was Specifically Designed to Provide the Best Possible Results when Vacuuming on Soft Carpet / Lightweight, Quiet and Powerful Thanks to Miele's Amazing 1200-Watt Vortex Motor / Made In Germany and Made To Last, The Miele Soft Carpet has a 20-Year Average Life-Span
- AirClean Sealed System Construction - Perfect for any Allergy or Asthma Sufferer - Traps 99.9% of Lung Damaging Particles with HEPA Filter and Patented AirClean 3D Filter Bag
- Comes with Miele SEB-228 SoftCarpet Powerhead - Great For deep cleaning and restoring crushed carpet nap on all types of carpeting, even Soft Carpets. Also perfect for picking up large amounts of pet hair from carpet.
- Comes with Miele SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush - Designed to go flat under baseboards, low under furniture, tight up against kick jams and around chair legs. With a 90 degree twisting rotation there not many places this floor brush can't go!
Top 3 Best Handheld Vacuums for Cat Litter
What’s good about handheld vacuums is that they’re light, portable, and relatively cheap.
They’re ideal for small messes, such as picking crumbs, dust, and dirt.
Unfortunately, handheld devices don’t have the same suction power as standard vacuums, and cordless models require batteries to work.
Still, they can be an excellent alternative for the occasional litter spills.
#1 Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Corded Handheld Vacuum
It’s not a surprise that Bissell handheld vacuum makes the list of the best vacuums for kitty litter.
It’s small, affordable, and perfect for cleaning upholstery, stairs, and cars.
Bissell’s Pet Hair Eraser comes with two specialized nozzles – one for picking up litter and cat food and another with bristles to collect embedded cat hair.
It has a cyclonic cleaning system for maximum suction and multi-level filtration.
Moreover, the Eraser has a 16-foot cord length, so you’ve got plenty of movement before you have to unplug/plug.
However, some customers say that the blowing air scatters litter and fur before you can vacuum it.
- suitable for different surfaces
- hard nozzle for cat litter
- cyclonic system
- multi-level filtration
- long cord
- might scatter fur/litter
- the cord isn’t very long
- Surface type: Upholstery, auto, stairs; Power rating: 4 amperes
- Filtration: multi layer filtration, the Bissell hand vac uses the cyclonic cleaning system
- 16 feet power cord. Cleans stairs, upholstery and hard surfaces. Dirt cup capacity: 0.78 litre
- Specialized rubber Nozzle attracts hair and pulls out dirt on areas such as stairs and upholstery
- Includes two specially designed nozzles
- Included components: Bissell - pet hair eraser; Bagless hand vac - black pearl
- Power source type: Corded electric
#2 Eureka RapidClean Rechargeable Handheld Cleaner
The Eureka lightweight vacuum is suitable for different surfaces, and since it’s cordless, you can take it anywhere and use it anytime.
Moreover, Euraka’s vacuum features a cyclonic filtration system to ensure powerful suction and remove allergens from the air.
The washable filters and dust cup mean that you don’t need to worry about replacing bags.
The rubber seal is another advantage since it keeps the debris and dirt in the dust cup until you empty it.
The vacuum also comes with a crevice attachment, and you can use it to clean under furniture and in other tight spaces.
However, the lithium-ion rechargeable batteries last 20 minutes, and the vacuum isn’t powerful enough for big messes.
- a cyclonic filtration
- washable filters and dust cup
- rubber seal
- only lasts 20 minutes before recharge
- Dust cup capacity 0.5 liters. Long lasting time: The rechargeable battery provides up to 20 minutes of cleaning with one single charge.
- Powerful handheld vacuum: This cordless vacuum is designed to work on all types of surfaces. The cyclonic filtration system removes dust efficiently.
- No maintenance cost: Nothing is needed, but a simple rinse of the washable filter and emptying the dust cup.
- Lightweight and portable: The 2-pounds handy vacuum cleaner can be easily carried to clean under furniture or reach nooks between the car seats.
- Handheld vacuum with accessories: The lightweight vacuum cleaner with a rubber cap and a crevice tool help you clean hard-to-reach places.
#3 BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Vacuum
This Dustbuster by Black+Decker features cyclonic action, which makes it an excellent choice for pet parents.
It also has a transparent dirt bowl – easy to see when it’s time to empty it, and it has a capacity of 20.6 ounces.
Moreover, this dustbuster model boasts a rotating slim nozzle, perfect for tight spaces, a crevice attachment, and a flip-up brush.
The filters are also washable, so you won’t have to replace them.
The vacuum is cordless and has a 4-hour fast charging base with Smart Charge technology to shut the charger off when the battery is recharged.
However, some users note that the vacuum is loud and that you have to recharge it often.
- a cyclonic action
- a transparent bowl
- rotating nozzle
- washable filters
- not very quiet
- needs frequent recharging
- Lithium Ion for long battery life and outstanding performance; Always ready holds a charge for upto 18 months. Long life, Lightweight, and no memory effect.Suction Power 15.2 AW; Dustbowl Capacity: 20.6 ounces
- NOTE: The instruction manual does reference mounting brackets and screws, but it is for a different base that is not included with this model (applicable model is referenced in the manual). The instructions include information on both bases.
- Smart Charge Technology uses upto 50 percent less energy,air Watts: 15.2 Watts, Voltage: 16V MAX
- Cyclonic action helps to keep the filter clean and power strong, translucent bagless dirt bowl easy to see dirt and empty
- Rotating slim nozzle for a variety of applications, removable, washable bowl and filters for thorough cleaning
- 2 Year Limited Warranty. Note: Charging instructions can be seen in Page 4 to 5 and Direction for cleaning filters and canisters can be seen in Page 5 to 7 on Installation Manual available under technical specification
Top 2 Best Robot Vacuums for Cat Litter
People who hate vacuuming have to love robot vacuums. They do all the work for you while you sit on the couch.
These cleaners can get under furniture and other spaces where full-size devices can’t, and you can control some models remotely.
While convenient and easy to use, we can’t compare robot vacuums with standard ones when it comes to power.
You also have to remove obstacles out of the way for maximum results. Still, these vacuums can be suitable for litter as well.
#1 ILIFE V3s Robot Vacuum CleanerNo products found.
With a 3.3-inch slim body, the ILIFE cleaner gets under beds, sofas, and other furniture with no issues.
All you have to do is press the CLEAN button/remote, and the machine is ready to go.
What’s also great about ILIFE is its selective cleaning modes – auto clean, spot clean for deep cleaning, and scheduling vacuum.
It’s perfect for edge cleaning, and you don’t have to worry about the machine falling off the stairs thanks to the anti-drop sensors.
Moreover, the ILIFE cleaner features pet hair care technology and is perfect for getting rid of cat hair and debris, such as litter.
It works best on hard floors and is easy to control with a remote.
Thanks to the self-charging feature, the vacuum charges automatically, and you don’t have to worry about forgetting to plug it in.
However, it’s not very good on carpets, and it can be difficult to set the timer.
- selective cleaning modes
- pet hair care technology
- easy to turn on/off
- might be difficult to set up
No products found.
#2 iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum
Since iRobot Roomba has a 3-stage cleaning system, it’s one of the best robotic vacuums for cat litter.
The dual multi-surface brushes take care of dirt/debris, while the edge-sweeping brush deals with corners and walls.
The auto-adjust cleaning head is another great feature, which adjusts the machine’s height so that the brushes can clean different surfaces.
Moreover, Dirt Detech technology detects the dirtiest areas in the house and cleans them thoroughly.
The Roomba also learns your cleaning habits to offer extra cleaning sessions during pet shedding months and charges automatically.
It also navigates well around the hose, and the Cliff Technology keeps it from falling off stairs.
However, it’s more suitable for light-duty cleaning and can’t handle a lot of pet hair.
- a 3-stage cleaning system
- multi-surface brushes
- an auto-adjust cleaning head
- Dirt Detach Technology
- learns your cleaning habits
- might not handle lots of pet hair
- Capacity volume - .6 liter. Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot HOME App; compatible with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- Patented 3-Stage Cleaning System and Dual Multi-Surface Brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
- Full suite of intelligent sensors guide the robot under and around furniture to help thoroughly clean your floors
- Auto-Adjust Cleaning Head automatically adapts its height to effectively clean carpets and hard floors
Top 2 Best Carpet Sweepers for Cat Litter
Carpet sweepers are something like a broom but with some extra features.
They’re an excellent choice if you want something affordable that doesn’t take much space.
While carpet sweepers can pick kitty litter, don’t expect the powerful suction of a full-sized machine.
The pro is that a carpet sweeper won’t get damaged by kitty litter.
#1 Bissell Sweep Up Cordless Sweeper
Bissell cordless sweeper features a seven-brush system – three main rotating ones and four stationary.
It’s perfect for bare floors and carpets and doesn’t need electricity or cords.
This sweep can sweep lint, dust, crumbs, and other small particles on forward/backward motions.
When you’re finished, empty the dirt pan into the trash. The handle also lies flat so that you can clean under furniture and beds.
Since you sweep manually, there are no delicate parts that litter can damage.
Still, it requires more effort than a standard vacuum, and there’s no dust filtration or suction power.
- easy to use
- suitable for cleaning under furniture
- light and easy to store
- suitable for small jobs
#2 Fuller Brush’s Electrostatic Carpet & Floor Sweeper
Fuller’s Brush electrostatic sweeper is an excellent choice for low pile carpets, laminate floors, hardwood floors, and tiles.
The electrostatic design attracts dirt, dust, and pet hair like a magnet, so it’s suitable for kitty litter.
The electrostatic carpet sweeper also features an adjustable handle to clean under beds and furniture with ease.
It’s also light, portable, and convenient to carry/store anywhere in the house.
Moreover, the sweeper has a dual dust bin and comes with a comb to remove any stuck hair from the bristled brushes. You also get a 3-year warranty.
However, the Fuller Brush sweeper is relatively expensive, and it’s not as effective as a vacuum.
- an electrostatic design
- an adjustable handle
- a dual dust bin
- not the cheapest option
- CLEAN UP ANY MESS IN A JIFFY: Do you want to be able to clean any mess, anytime, super-fast and easy? Now you can with the Fuller Brush electrostatic carpet and floor sweeper! Perfect for the home, office, garage and more, this ultra-efficient cleaner will make any hardwood, tile, wood, low pile carpet or laminate floor sparkle in just a few seconds! And the best part? It is always ready to use for quick touch-ups!
- PULLS DIRT, HAIR & DUST LIKE A MAGNET: Thanks to its intelligent, electrostatic design that acts like a magnet as soon as it gets in contact with any surface, this floor sweeper will attract all dirt, crumbs, glass, dust or pet hair instantly. Small and silent with an adjustable handle, it gets into small spaces or under furniture with great ease, allowing for speedy cleaning, even in large areas.
- SMALL BUT MIGHTY: What makes this floor sweeper our customers’ favourite? Its small size and long-lasting, indestructible metal housing. What is more, its compact and super lightweight design makes it super easy to carry from one room to the other! Fully portable, it folds in a second and takes up minimal space, so you can conveniently store it in a closet or under the bed.
- PRESS, EMPTY, DONE: This powerful sweeper boasts a dual dust bin which is easy to empty in a breeze! All you need to do is press on the ends of the dust bin and everything you have swept will fall out. A special cleaning comb is included to help remove any stuck hair on the bristle brushes. Easy to use in any setting, as it does not require power outlets or batteries, this sweeper is a must have for every home.
- TRUST THE EXPERTS & ORDER RISK-FREE: Put your trust in our 114 years of experience and outstanding quality products and make a smart purchase today! Backed by a Risk-Free 3 Year USA Warranty, our team is always ready to help with anything you might need. So what are you waiting for? Get your mini carpet sweeper today before we run out of stock!
How to Prevent Litter Tracking?
No one wants to vacuum kitty litter every single day. But what can you do if your cat tracks litter all over the house? Well, here are a couple of suggestions to prevent litter tracking:
- Get a litter mat. It catches dirt, debris, and litter when your cat gets out of the litter box. You’ll only have to clean the mat/rung instead of the whole house.
- Consider a high-side box. If your cat likes to dig in the litter, you might avoid the mess by getting a litter box with high sides.
- Try an automatic litter box. It cleans the soiled litter and keeps the litter box fresh. The downside is that not all cats like this type of box.
- Try a non-tracking kitty litter brand.
- Contain the litter box. Put it in the bathroom, inside another big box, or the tub to reduce the mess.
Can you vacuum cat litter?
Yes, you can. However, most specialists recommend that you sweep with a broom or a carpet rake to get most of the mess and then vacuum.
It reduces the likelihood of spreading bacteria and germs around your house.
Can you vacuum cat litter with a Dyson?
Yes, you can. Most Dyson vacuums handle litter well, but how effective they depend on the suction power and how big the mess is.
How do you clean cat litter from the carpet?
You collect as much of the soiled litter with a paper towel. Once the rest dries, you should use a brush to loosen the litter. Then vacuum or sweep.
Will cat litter absorb water in the carpet?
Kitty litter absorbs moisture, so it should absorb water in the carpet. However, it’s not a suitable drying agent, so don’t use it to dry carpets.
How do you clean kitty litter off the floor?
You use a broom, a carpet sweeper,/rake, or a cat litter vacuum.
Getting kitty litter out of carpets and floors isn’t always an easy task.
However, with the right vacuum cleaner, you can say goodbye to finding litter particles all over the house.
Our recommendation is to go with an upright vacuum or a canister one since they’re the most powerful and effective for the job.
What do you think about these top 18 best vacuum cleaners for cat litter? What do you use to clean litter? Share Below!
I’ve grown up surrounded by animals – dogs, cats, cows, goats, sheep, and horses and that has shaped me into what I am today – a crazy cat lady who always has a place for one more cat (or a dog). I’ve got two female cats – Kitty and Roni, and two tomcats – Blacky and Shaggy, but I also feed my neighbors’ cats when they come for a visit. I just can’t say no to them.
I discovered that writing is my vocation early in my school years. Since then I’ve taken part in several literature contests – writing horror and fantasy short stories and novellas.
For the past three years, I’ve been an ELS teacher, pouring my heart into showing children and teenagers how important English is for their future and trying to educate them how to treat their pets with care.
Last update on 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API