If you have a male cat, I don’t have to tell you why you need the best litter boxes with high sides!
I think we all know the challenges of a high-spraying kitty, right?
The problem is, most litter boxes aren’t really made for our guys!
The good news, though, is that there are a few models that we can work with, so check them out below!
You may also like: Top 10 Best Non Tracking Cat Litter Brands
Our Top Picks
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
In a rush and need something right away? Check out our top picks on the table below!
Why do I need a high-sided litter box?
Like I said above, if you have a male cat, you already know why!
However, maybe you’re bringing home a new kitten and haven’t quite discovered the “joys” of a high-peeing kitty, so this section is for you.
Basically, male cats in particular are prone to peeing up against the walls of the litter box.
Girls can do it, too, but I’ve definitely noticed the issue more with my boy.
So, low-sided boxes as well as those with seams along the sides (like the Booda Dome), tend to be problematic.
That’s putting it nicely! Essentially, they leave you cleaning cat pee off your floor, your walls, and everywhere BUT in the box!
That, my friend, is why you NEED one of these best litter boxes with high sides below! Let’s take a look!
What are Best Litter Boxes with High Sides
As always use the table below for a quick peek, then read on for more details.
1. Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
The Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box may not look all that spectacular- especially to those who prefer covered boxes- but it’s one of the most highly rated options on Amazon.
Let’s look at the features and pros, then the cons.
Features & Pros
- High sides prevent little scatter (obviously, or it wouldn’t be on this list)
- Non-stick surface makes it easy to clean
- Super super super affordable (seriously, SUPER budget-friendly)
- Large enough for big kitties!
- No cover.
- Front opening is too low.
The biggest issue with the Nature’s Miracle high sided litter box is the front.
Sure, those sides are nice and high…but the front entry way is very low to the ground.
If you have a cat that likes to kick litter around, it’s going to fly right out of the front!
However, if you have a dainty kitty that just goes in and does his/her business without making it a huge ordeal (I have two that do that), it’s fine.
At the price (just over $10), you really can’t beat it! I’d definitely put litter mats under it, though.
- High sides to prevent litter scatter
- Care and cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning
- Item dimension: 23.4 inches Length x 18.25 inches Width x 11 inches Height
- Packaging may vary
2. Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
It’s also a good one for high-spraying kitties!
Features & Pros
- The plastic is flexible so you can squeeze it into tight spaces.
- Includes integrated handles for easier carrying.
- High walls all around.
- No cover
- Some said the plastic cracked within months
- High-entry, so not great for senior cats.
Yes, hearing that the plastic isn’t durable is concerning, but to me, the biggest issue is the entry height.
Since it’s such a relatively tall cat litter box, senior cats or kitties with mobility problems will find it challenging to use.
That said, if you have a spry young cat and don’t mind an uncovered box, it’s a good choice.
A little pricier than the Nature’s Miracle high wall litter box above, but still very reasonable.
- Made of flexible plastic, allowing it to fit in small spaces
- Integrated handles easily come together to facilitate transport and easier emptying of soiled litter
- High walls prevent litter from scattering while providing privacy for your cat
3. Modkat Flip Litter Box
The Modkat is another one that receives high marks among users, but be warned- it’s not exactly cheap.
Let’s look at the features to see if the price tag is justified.
Features & Pros
- Claims to “stop leaks and scatter” thanks to its full-height base and seamless design.
- Lid flips to three positions- totally open, totally closed, and half open.
- Comes with a reusable liner that’s rip-resistant and easy to clean.
- The whole box- lid included- are made to be easy to clean.
- Too small for Maine Coon cats and other large breeds.
- If you don’t use the liner, the plastic traps odors.
The seamless base is the biggest selling feature. No seams mean no leaks!
I also like that it comes with a reusable liner that covers pretty much the entire inside.
I definitely recommend using that liner, too, because some users complain that the plastic absorbs odors like crazy.
While there are a few other complaints about cats figuring out how to pee out the front, overall customers really adore the Modkat.
Whether that’s enough to justify spending over $50 for something that’s not a self-cleaning litter box is a question only you can answer.
- INCLUDES: 1 Flip Litter Box, 1 liner, and 1 scoop (Katch Litter Mat sold separately).
- STOPS LEAKS AND SCATTER - Flip's seamless, full height base prevents leaks and litter scatter. Perfect if your cat is a “side pee-er.”
- 3 LID POSITIONS - The flipping lid offers three privacy positions (closed, half open or fully open) to accommodate any cat's preference.
- REUSABLE LINER - Our patent pending hook and liner system keeps the liners securely in place. The Liners are rip-resistant and easy to clean.
- EASY TO CLEAN - The lid is designed to provide quick and easy access for scooping and cleaning.
4. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
If high sides all around are a must, you’ll love the IRIS Top Entry Box! It’s very well-rated and budget-friendly.
Features & Pros
- One of the best boxes for high-spraying cats, period.
- Top entryway keeps dogs from digging around in the box.
- Perforation on the lid helps knock litter of kitty’s feet.
- Easy to scoop, just remove the lid (definitely better than bending over in front of front-entry box)
- 9.25″ diameter at the top
- Comes in 4 colors
- Entry is a bit too snug for larger cat breeds.
- Some cats just won’t use it, especially if they’re used to front-entry boxes.
- Not ideal for older cats with mobility issues.
While I wouldn’t recommend this one for senior cats or large breeds, it’s a good choice for smaller breeds.
Mostly, I recommend it for high-spraying cats. It’s one of the few that didn’t leak all over when my friend’s male used it.
Since some kitties are reluctant to use a top-entry box, you may want to keep your backup option at first.
The price is low enough that it’s worth taking a chance on, though.
- TOP ENTRY: Litter box features a large top entrance to for easy entry and exit
- FILTERED SNAP ON LID: Small holes on the lid of the large cat litter box help to remove cat litter from the cat’s paws
- HIGH SIDES: Kitty litter box features high sides to contain spraying and prevent litter on the floor
- LITTER SCOOP INCLUDED: Cat litter scoop is included and conveniently hangs on the side of the covered litter box for storage
- EASY TO CLEAN: Rounded kitten litter box with lid with high polish finish makes cleaning easy
- BPA FREE: Cat litter pan is made with BPA free materials
- OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS: 20.50"L x 14.75"W x 14.38"H
- INSIDE DIMENSIONS: (widest point) 19.12"L x 13.75"W x 14.25"H (bottom narrowest point) 17.0"L x 11.5"W (entry diameter) 9"
5. iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Cat XL Litter Box
If you prefer a stainless steel litter box,
Features & Pros
- Jumbo litter box with high sides
- Stainless steel doesn’t absorb odors
- Large enough for most cat breeds
- Super easy to clean- litter doesn’t stick to sides
- Rounded edges for added safety
- No lid
- Complaints about residue on the brand-new boxes
Let’s talk about that residue, since it was the biggest issue for a lot of people.
iPrimio says, ” SOME BROWN RESIDUE IS NORMAL on the Stainless Pan as the result of our bending machine for fully rounded edges for their safety.”
So, if those complaints are the only thing scaring you away from buying this box, that should ease your worries.
While it’s definitely pricey, stainless steel lasts longer than plastic, so it’s actually worth it in my opinion.
Plus, since litter slides off the sides, it’s easier to clean, too, which is totally worth the extra cost!
- The only litter box you will ever need to buy: stainless steel will never rust and is long-lasting. Ergonomic design with rounded edges and enclosed sides so nothing will get stuck in the corners.
- Stain- and rust-free; will never absorb any oder: Plastic litter boxes have unpleasant, long-lasting odors and get stained after only a few uses, which may be harmful for your cat. Our stainless steel litter box never collects any residue or odor and is completely rust-free.
- Patent pending design: This litter box has high enclosed sides with a total height of 12 inches. The detachable enclosure is 6 inches high, providing the extra litter scatter protection. The stainless pan itself is 23.5 inches long x 15.5 inches wide x 6 inches deep.
- A cleaner cleaning experience: We know it can be painful to clean and wash litter boxes, but this nonstick coated litter box resists any residue. This is our best effort to help you in your daily chores.
- Manufacturer's notes: Some brown residue is normal on the stainless steel pan because of our bending machine that created fully rounded edges for safety. We ensure that its new in condition and perfectly normal. The sticker shown in the pictures may not be on the box as shipped. Please throw away black corner protective pieces, it's for safe shipping only. There are two holes on the pan's edge: this is for our custom scooper holder that will be released soon.
6. Petmate Litter Pan
The Petmate Litter Pan is another great top-entry extra high sided litter box.
Features & Pros
- Fully enclosed on all sides except the top.
- Plenty of privacy for kitties.
- Textured lid knocks excess litter off you cat’s feet as he leaves the box.
- Built-in handles.
- Rounded edges for added safety.
- Doesn’t come with liners.
- Not big enough for large breed cats.
- Plastic isn’t the most durable, according to some users.
Sure, it may not be much to look at, but you’re not exactly shopping for home decor here, right?
It’s a super affordable high litter box, albeit just a smidge pricier than the IRIS above.
Petmate has a great reputation overall, so if you’re more comfortable going with a big brand name, this is a great choice.
It’s just not big enough for Maine Coon cats or other large breeds, though.
- TOP ENTRY LITTER BOX: This enclosed kitty litter box features high walls for cats' privacy. The wide, top entry design easily accommodates larger cats & has a grated surface to collect litter from cats' paws each time they exit. Non-slip textured lid with openings
- LITTER-FREE FLOOR: The tall litter box allows cats to dig & cover waste without spilling litter onto the floor. The grated top collects litter from paws as cats exit the pan, allowing litter to fall into the pan below. Includes a hook to hang your cat litter scoop, SCOOP NOT INCLUDED.
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products. From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes & litter, we've got you & your pet covered.
- PETMATE: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Check these alternatives to cat litter!
While I like each one for different reasons, the IRIS remains my favorite high-walled litter box.
It’s inexpensive, doesn’t take up a ton of space, and has great reviews.
However, if you need a large high sided litter box, go with the iPrimio.
Yes, it’s pricey, but it’s big enough for most breeds and will last a long time.
Which of our picks for the best litter boxes with high sides would you buy? Share below!
Nicole is one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Learn more about Nicole Here
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API