Your cat just called us and said he wished you knew about the 7 genius litter box hacks!
Okay, so he didn’t actually call us, he doesn’t have opposable thumbs, after all!
Still, I bet he wants to make sure you know about them since they’ll save so much time (which you can then use for cuddling and spoiling him).
Check them out!
7 Litter Box Hacks I Wish I Had Known About
Every cat owner knows the struggle of the litter box, but sometimes no one tells them about these litter box hacks I wish I had known about.
Happily, this is what I’m here for, so everything on this list is going to make your whole life easier whether we’re talking about the first or tenth cat.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Choose A Proper Litter Box
Ok. Not all litter boxes are the same.
Some are taller, some are completely closed and others are just simple, classic litter boxes.
When you choose one, consider your cat’s personality, size and if you have any other cats in your house.
Some cats will refuse to “share” their litter boxes, so you may find yourself in the situation of buying one for every cat.
If your cat wants to dig before and after doing her business, consider getting a tall or covered litter box, because you’ll have litter all over the place otherwise.
2. Choose The Right Litter
As you can choose from tens of litter box models, so you can choose from tens of litter models.
There’s clumping and non clumping litter. Some can have fragrance to mask the litter smell while others are more eco-friendly. It all goes down to your preferences.
You can’t know what the best one is, because there are so many opinions.
The best thing you can do is buy little bags of litter and try them.
Maybe your cat won’t like them, or maybe it’s going to be a bad experience for you.
Just keep in mind that the most expensive one is not also the best one.
3. Buy A Metal Scoop
The most popular scoops are the plastic ones, but there’s a great downside to them.
They may bend or break as you clean large chunks of litter, making your job hard or even impossible.
Happily, you can find metal scoops in most stores, and even though they are a little more expensive, they will improve your cat parent life quality.
They won’t break, won’t start to smell, and are easier to clean.
- [Color & Size]: Solid aluminum alloy body with Blue handle; Oversize Pooper Scooper - Length 14 x Width 5 x Deep 2 Inch.
- [Deep Shovel Sifter Design]: WePet 2 Inch deep shovel is an upgrade version, it’s built to make poop scooping so easy, the smooth shape is designed for cover all the corners of your cat’s litter box and reach deeply for each scoop.
- [Functions]: WePet litter scooper shovel captures dirty, Serrated edge (Dull teeth) really help to loosen the litter from the bottom and sides of the litter box, which makes cleaning much faster & easier, wet clumps and sift only clean litter, crystals to easily pass through. This helps keep your kitty’s litter box fresh and clean.
- [Features]: Deep Shovel Sifter was carefully developed by cat owners, WePet made this scooper with heavy duty quality, it’s durable, aluminum alloy body. The body is waterproof and very easy to clean, rust-resistant and corrosion resistant. It’s highly recommended by cat lovers for everyday use.
- [Premium Material]: Full aluminum alloy cast-built body, comfort grip handle, all together make this scooper long last for years.
4. Choose A Good Location For The Litter Box
Obviously, you don’t want your litter box in the middle of the house.
For once because cats don’t like you to look at them while doing their business, and second, because it’s not going to be a good experience for anyone living there.
Instead, use a bathroom or laundry room you can always leave open for your cat.
5. Keep It Clean
Cats are very clean pets, and will not, under any circumstances use a full litter box.
Besides that, if you don’t clean it on time, you have all the chances of being required to walk around with a gas mask.
Make sure you check your cat’s litter all the time and clean it accordingly.
This is for the both if you. In order to get rid of some smells, you can sprinkle baking soda in your cat’s litter box and make the whole experience easier to bear.
6. Always Blow Your Nose
Weird litter box hack, I know, but hear me out!
Even though it’s only going to take a few minutes to get the litter box cleaned, you may want to blow your nose after you’re done.
Small dust particles and even ammonia particles will get stuck to your nose lining, and you may be stuck with that smell all day.
It’s definitely not a pleasurable feeling, and you can definitely try doing this for a change.
7. Change Everything Once A Month
Or even once every two weeks.
Even if you keep adding clean litter, the old one may still have traces of urine and feces and it’s not a good outcome.
If you do a complete change, you and your cat will only benefit from it.
All this being said, if you’re a new cat parent of you already have a few, I’m sure these 7 litter box hacks will definitely make your whole life easier!
What are your favorite litter box hacks? Share below!
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API