Your cat just called us and said he wished you knew about the 7 genius litter box hacks!
Okay, so he didn’t actually call us, he doesn’t have opposable thumbs, after all!
Still, I bet he wants to make sure you know about them since they’ll save so much time (which you can then use for cuddling and spoiling him).
Check them out!
7 Litter Box Hacks Your Cat Wishes You Knew About
Every cat owner knows the struggle of the litter box, but sometimes no one tells them about these litter box hacks I wish I had known about.
Happily, this is what I’m here for, so everything on this list is going to make your whole life easier whether we’re talking about the first or tenth cat.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Start with the right litter box
No two litter boxes are the same.
Some are taller, some are completely closed and others are just simple, classic litter boxes.
Beyond the basic size, you also have so many different types!
Do you get an automatic litter box? A stainless steel model? Plain old plastic?
Only you can decide what is right for your cat’s personality as well as your home’s needs.
2. Location, location, location
You know what they say, location is everything! That’s so true when it comes to litter boxes.
Even if you spend hours picking out the perfect box filled with the most flawless litter
3. Choose The Right Litter for Your Cat
You probably wouldn’t believe how many different types of litter there are out there!
I’m not just talking clumping vs. non-clumping.
There’s dust-free, all-natural, silica-based, walnut-based. Litter made from old newspapers, from corn cob…the list goes on.
Honestly, there’s no surefire way to know ahead of time which your cat will prefer.
They’re finicky little creatures! My own cats will only use ONE type of litter, and it’s not my personal favorite.
That’s the thing- the litter you like best may not be the one your cat wants to use.
Trust me, go with his preference! It’ll make your life a lot easier, as he won’t be tempted to go outside the box.
Buy small boxes or bags until you figure out which one works best for your kitty.
In other words, stay out of the bulk section of the store. 😀
4. Use a non-stick scoop
The smartest thing I ever did was switch from a plastic to a metal scooper.
While plastic ones are definitely cheaper, they don’t really last long.
Plus, every time you use it, more and more litter gets stuck to it. Then, you either have to soak it in hot water or just give in and buy a new one.
A metal scoop is slightly more expensive (although still very reasonable), but totally worth it!
- [Color & Size]: Flat alumimum body with Blue handle; Oversize Pooper Scooper - Length 14 x Width 5 x Deep 2 Inch.
- [Deep Shovel Sifter Design]: WePet 2 Inch deep shovel is an upgrade version, it’s built to make poop scooping so easy, the smooth shape is designed for cover all the corners of your cat’s litter box and reach deeply for each scoop.
- [Functions]: WePet litter scooper shovel captures dirty, Serrated edge (Dull teeth) really help to loosen the litter from the bottom and sides of the litter box, which makes cleaning much faster & easier, wet clumps and sift only clean litter, crystals to easily pass through. This helps keep your kitty’s litter box fresh and clean.
- [Features]: Deep Shovel Sifter was carefully developed by cat owners, WePet made this scooper with heavy duty quality, it’s durable, aluminum alloy body. The body is waterproof and very easy to clean, rust-resistant and corrosion resistant. It’s highly recommended by cat lovers for everyday use.
- [Premium Material]: Full aluminum alloy cast-built body, comfort grip handle, all together make this scooper long last for years.
5. Keep It Clean
Cats are very clean pets, and will not, under any circumstances use a full litter box.
Besides that, if you don’t clean it on time, you have all the chances of being required to walk around with a gas mask.
Make sure you check your cat’s litter all the time and clean it accordingly.
This is for the both if you. In order to get rid of some smells, you can sprinkle baking soda in your cat’s litter box and make the whole experience easier to bear.
6. Change it out Completely At Least Once a Month
Or even once every two weeks. Or heck, even weekly, depending on how many cats you have.
Even if you keep adding clean litter, the old one may still have traces of urine and feces and it’s not a good outcome.
If you do a complete change, you and your cat will only benefit from it.
7. Use liners
Want to make that last hack a whole lot easier? Line the pan with disposable liners!
Then, you can just lift out the litter in one fell swoop.
They’re fairly inexpensive, especially when you think about the time that they’ll save!
All this being said, if you’re a new cat parent of you already have a few, I’m sure these 7 litter box hacks will definitely make your whole life easier!
What are your favorite litter box hacks? Share below!
Last update on 2020-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API