Looking for the best scratching posts for large cats?
I sure hope so, because that’s what we’re discussing here today.
First, we’ll go over some features to look for during your research; then look at some that I love.
Let’s get started!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Want to skip ahead and just go with my favorite option? That would be the ScratchLadder™ Ultimate Cat Scratcher over on Etsy! It’s just such a neat option.
How to choose a cat scratching post for large cats
First, I’m going to assume that you’re looking for actual scratching posts, and not just yet another list of expensive cat trees with sisal-wrapped poles.
I get really frustrated when I open up a shopping guide and see literally everything but what I’m actually looking for, so I won’t do that to you.
If that is what you have in mind, we have dozens of cat tree buying guides here on Catvills for literally every size kitty. 🙂
Today, we’re focusing strictly on scratching posts.
A couple of them may double as something else- a condo, a bed, etc- but “scratchability” was my core requirement.
Let’s quickly talk about what I’m looking for in my top picks, then we’ll get to the heart of the matter.
Related: Best scratching post for older cats
What to look for in a scratching post for large cats
We’ll make this quick because I feel like it’s easier to see what I look for by actually looking at my favorites.
Here’s a basic rundown, though, so you know where I’m coming from.
The first one is actually specific to large cats, while the rest are general requirements and things I consider in all scratching posts.
is it big enough to satisfy your large cat’s scratching needs? I have two rather big kitties.
My scratching posts have to accommodate my long and lanky Alex, because he likes to do what I call the “stretch and scratch.”
You May Also Like
At the same time, if it includes a place to sit, it needs to actually hold my Zo-Zo.
Material & Safety
What makes up the actual scratching surface? Is it sisal? Jute? Wood? Some random man-made material I’ve never heard of?
If it’s sisal or another type of rope-like material, how tightly wound is it? Will it come off the first time they use it?
Is the material safe? If it’s glued onto the post, is it done so with non-toxic adhesives?
Durability & Value
I need to know that the post will actually survive regular usage for as long as it takes for me to feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth.
Now, in some cases, that may be just weeks or months. I’ve bought scratching posts that cost $5 and lasted about two months.
That’s fine! I’m not complaining. I mean $2.50 a month comes out to, what, $30 a year? Not too bad for scratching posts!
However, if I’m spending more money- say anything over $25- and it’s totally ruined within two months, I get super ticked.
I mean, in that case, it’s like spending $300 a year on scratching posts. At that point, I could have bought two ginormous cat trees!
By “mess factor,” I mean how much of a mess will it make when my cats use it?
Will bits of sisal or cardboard fly all over the room? Will it make my house look like a carpet factory exploded in it?
While I wouldn’t call this a “deal-breaking factor,” if I’m looking at two options that are equally good, but one is less messy overall, I’m definitely going for that option.
I really don’t like cleaning! 😀
Okay, so now that you have a good idea of what to look for in the best cat scratching post for large kitties, let’s look at my top picks.
Best Scratching Posts for Large Cats
Take a look at the tables below (one for Amazon and one for the rest_ for my top picks, then read on for the full reviews of each.
Also, as you read through the pros for each of the best scratching posts for large cats, mentally add “big enough for large cats.”
It just feels redundant to keep saying it, since that’s the entire point of this post.
Also, prices are accurate as of today and are subject to change
|Name||ScratchLadder™ Ultimate Cat Scratcher||Cat’s Choice 34 inch Solid Wood Scratching Post||Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher|
|Top Feature||Replaceable pads||Solid Wood||3-in-1 design|
|Buy It||BUY IT||BUY IT||BUY IT|
1. AmazonBasics Large Premium Tall Cat Scratching Post
Let’s start with something fairly “basic,” shall we? The AmazonBasics scratching posts for large cats has a sleek modern design that looks decent in your home, but won’t bust your budget.
Features and Pros
- Single-pillar with a solid wood base.
- Replaceable dangling toy
- Covered with natural jute fiber
- Neutral color tones
- Assembly required
- Some complaints about wobbly base
Overall, this one scores 4.5 stars across more than 1,400 ratings.
However, a small percent of customers said it was wobbly because the screws don’t sit “flush” inside their compartments.
This seems like a defect that affects some rather than a problem with the entire post itself.
While the style definitely lives up to the Basics part of the name, it’s still a good option for those who want something simple for their kitties.
- Single-pillar scratching post for cats with replaceable dangle toy
- Sturdy wood base keeps post from tipping
- Helps keep your cat from damaging carpets, furniture, curtains, and more
- Natural jute fiber scratching posts help keep nails healthy
- Neutral color tones fit in with your home’s existing décor
- Durable, long-lasting construction
2. SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post
The SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post is a good deal pricier than the AmazonBasics, but it’s a 4.5-star option across over 12,000 ratings. Let’s see why.
Features and Pros
- Stands at 32″ so cats can fully stretch.
- The 16×16 base is designed to eliminate wobbling and tipping.
- Durable woven sisal rope materials.
- Assembles quickly and easily, with just two included screws.
- Stylish modern design
- Somewhat pricey for a basic scratching post.
- Some complaints that it has an odor (which may prevent cats from using it)
While there are a couple of terrifying 1-star ratings, a whopping 81% of customers gave this 5 stars, so that should tell you something.
Many customers talk about how durable it is, something that I definitely like to hear considering the price.
As far as style goes, while it’s not exactly exciting, I actually think it’s a fairly stylish design. I mean, it’s a scratching POST, it doesn’t promise to be a piece of art.
I do get really freaked out about negative reviews- especially when people say things like “it hurt my baby,”, but again, they make up 3% out of 12K ratings.
Defects can affect literally anything that you buy, and they’re the exception rather than the norm.
Given the number of happy cat parents, I think this one is worth a try.
- 32″ height allows cats to stretch fully and tone muscles
- Sturdy 16″ by 16″ base eliminates tipping and wobbling
- Fibrous and durable woven sisal naturally inspires scratching
- Superior to carpeted posts that may snag nail
- Assembles with two included screws
3. Kitty City XL Wide Premium Scratching Posts for Large Cats
This one is one of the most budget-friendly scratching posts for large cats for those who don’t have $50++ to drop on something literally designed to be destroyed.
Don’t let the lower price scare you, though, it’s actually a highly rated scratching post.
Features and Pros
- Stable width and 32″ height.
- Easy to assemble with three screws.
- Includes a cute little jingle toy on top.
- BV Pet Safety Certified
- Covered in premium sisal
- Fleece cover on the top so kitty can “sit her fluffy a** and survey [her] kingdom,” as one reviewer put it.
- Comes with cat nip spray*
- A bit on the “eh” side style-wise.
- Won’t last forever
Just over 1,800 people gave it a combined total of 4.5 stars, so again, it’s obviously beloved by our fellow cat parents.
Regarding the little asterisk next to “comes with cat nip spray” in the pros- it’s not mentioned in the features, but more than a few reviewers mentioned it.
So, consider it a nice “extra” rather than a guaranteed feature.
I actually had a bunch of stuff by Kitty City over the years.
Their products are actually more durable than one would expect for the price, and my cats always have a blast with them.
That said, for just over $20, don’t expect this to be a “lifetime guarantee” type of scratching post.
Still, if you have a relatively small budget, you can’t go wrong with the Kitty City.
- Attractive and neutrally toned to fit any decor.
- Perfect, stable width and extra-tall height designed for cats
- Overall Size: 17.7"(L) x 17.7"(W) x 32"(H)
- Fun, jingle ball toy included at the top of the post. BV Pet Safety Certified
- Easy assembly: With 3 screws, the post conveniently and quickly mounts to the base.
- Premium Woven Sisal Carper Scratching Post + Fleece Cover Top
4. PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratching Post (Large Model)
Before we head to some of my other favorite places to buy cat furniture, let’s check out one last model on Amazon by PetFusion.
I think it’s a pretty neat option!
Features and Pros
- Measures 24 x 10. 5 x 21. 1 inches.
- Made from recycled cardboard, so it’s eco-friendly.
- Held together by non-toxic glue.
- Vertical base, plus cubby hold for kitty to play in.
- Numerous scratching angles.
- Rotate it around when one side wears out, so it lasts six times as long.
- 6-month warranty, but only against manufacturer defects.
- Award-winner- Cat Fancy named it the best new product in 2014.
- Comes with premium USA organic catnip leaf.
- While wide enough for large cats, it’s not really tall enough for “stretch and scratchers”
- It’s made of cardboard, so it will shred (and make a mess!)
- Some cats just aren’t that into it.
While its unique shape may draw some cats’ curiosity, it’s also among the most complained-about feature.
Some cats just plain ignore it, no matter how much catnip you tuck inside.
I wish that it was a bit taller for Alex, but I can definitely see Zoe using it.
The fact that it’s made from cardboard means it WILL get messy, though.
Overall, this one earned 4.5 stars across 2,500+ ratings, though, so again, that’s a great sign.
Side note- definitely read the top “favorable” review, it’s hilarious!
- CATS LOVE IT: (I) A scratcher, play area, & SO MUCH MORE. (II) Incl premium USA organic catnip leaf. (III) Natural scratching = healthy claws, great exercise, & stress reliever . . . (better overall wellness)
- YOU'LL LOVE IT: (I) Made of recycled cardboard, non-toxic corn starch glue. (II) Attractive design, neutral colors. (IV) Recommended to save your furniture as cats prefer the feel of cardboard. Happy cat = happy you . .
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: (I) Vertical based on your cat's preference or to compliment horizontal scratching; also features a cubby hole for exploration & play. (II) Curves provide numerous stretching & scratching angles. (III) Naturally attracts cats
- GREAT VALUE: (I) 24 x 10. 5 x 21. 1 inches. (II) Rotate for 6x the use. (III) Superior cardboard & construction lasts longer than other scratchers; preferred by cats (please read our reviews). (IV) 6 MONTH : For any manufacturing defect or if you are not completely satisfied
- AWARD WINNER: Cat Fancy Magazine 2014 Editor's Choice Award: #1 Best New Product
- If you have any product questions or suggestions, or have concerns with a PetFusion product you already purchased, we'd love to hear from you.
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
- Included Components: Scratcher, Catnip
- Special Features: Natural / Eco-Friendly
5. ScratchLadder™ Ultimate Cat Scratcher
If you head on over to Etsy, you’ll find this nifty cat scratcher with four different types of materials.
Fair warning- it’s not cheap. Then again, it’s also not cheap. Does that make sense?
Features and Pros
- 4 replaceable panels that keep kitty entertained.
- One plush panel is stuffed with polyfill and catnip.
- Another panel is covered in soft and durable carpeting.
- Also includes a solid wood and a slotted wood panel.
- Different options available in their shop, including some with little toys attached.
- Replacement panels also available, so you can swap them out whenever you want.
- Made in the US
- Ships free throughout the US
- A bit pricey for a scratching post (but still a good value)
- Some of the panels probably won’t last all that long with aggressive scratchers (my cats would kill the polyfill one in days).
- Replacement panels are $20 each, which is also a bit pricey.
The only real cons in my opinion are the price-centric ones.
The ladder with four panels costs just over $120, but I still feel like that’s a fair price for what you get and the fact that it’s handmade.
However, the replacement panels are $20 each, and I feel like that’s a bit much for some of them.
That said, you could get around it by replacing the materials on your panels yourself.
Overall, though, this is actually my favorite of the bunch because it’s just so clever and fun.
6. Cat’s Choice 34 inch Solid Wood Scratching Post
The Cat’s Choice 34 inch Solid Wood Scratching Post from Cat’s Play Furniture is exactly what the name says-a large scratching post constructed from solid wood. Let’s take a closer look.
Features and Pros
- Stands just shy of 3′, making it perfect for lanky cats who like to do the “sretch and scratch.”
- Arrives fully assembled and ready to go.
- Solid wood
- Covered in plush household grade carpet and unoiled sisal rope.
- Carpeted on the base and top for kitty’s comfort.
- Handcrafted in the US
- 5 color options (see cons, though)
- Some color choices cost an extra $5-10
- Somewhat pricey when it’s not on sale
- Carpet will likely make a mess
This one is currently on sale, so the price con really doesn’t apply. While just short of $80 is still a bit high, it’s totally fair for solid wood posts.
However, if/when that sale ends, it is somewhat pricey for those on a tight budget.
I can definitely see that carpeting getting all over the place as my cats shred it, but like I said earlier, that’s not really a deal-breaker issue.
It’s a solid choice- pun intended- for large kitties who really like to stretch their whole bodies up as they scratch.
7. Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher
Last up, I really love the Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher from Cat’s Play! It’s like three pieces of furniture in one.
Features and Pros
- Solid wood
- 20″ x 20″ sisal scratch pad
- Plush cushion with washable cover
- Top is 10×24″
- Ventilated base for air flow
- Triples as a scratcher, bed, and a side table!
- Two finishes
- Expensive shipping
- Not made in the USA
While this one is technically pricier than some of the others, I think it’s actually among the best as far as “value for the money” goes.
You get a great scratching post, a cozy bed AND a little side table in one.
However, it doesn’t seem to be made in the USA, as Cat’s Play usually denotes that in the description and this time they didn’t.
Shipping is also fairly pricey.
Still, if you have a small home, I love how this one gives your cats a place to scratch and to hang out while also giving you a little table for some smaller items.
While all of these scratching posts for large cats are great options, I still really love that ladder-style one! However, if it’s a bit out of your price range, I do like the Kitty City option.
Your turn. Which of these do you think are the best scratching posts for large cats? Share below!
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API