Looking for the best scratching posts for large cats?
I sure hope so, because that’s what we’re discussing here today.
First, we’ll go over some features to look for during your research; then look at some that I love.
Let’s get started!
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on m
scratching posts Top Picks at a glance
- AmazonBasics Large Premium Tall Cat Scratching Post – Covered with natural jute fiber.
- SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post – Assembles quickly and easily, with just two included screws.
- PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratching Post (Large Model) – Numerous scratching angles.
- Cat’s Choice 34 inch Solid Wood Scratching Post – Carpeted on the base and top for kitty’s comfort.
- Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher – Ventilated base for air flow.
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
7 Best Scratching Posts for Large Cats
Take a look at the tables below (one for Amazon and one for the rest_ for my top picks, then read on for the full reviews of each.
Also, as you read through the pros for each of the best scratching posts for large cats, mentally add “big enough for large cats.”
It just feels redundant to keep saying it, since that’s the entire point of this post.
Also, prices are accurate as of today and are subject to change.
Let’s start with something fairly “basic,” shall we? The AmazonBasics scratching posts for large cats have a sleek modern design that looks decent in your home but won’t bust your budget.
Features and benefits of AmazonBasics Large Premium Tall Cat Scratching Post
- Single-pillar with a solid wood base.
- Replaceable dangling toy
- Covered with natural jute fiber
- Neutral color tones
- Assembly required
- Some complaints about wobbly base
Overall, this one scores 4.5 stars across more than 1,400 ratings.
However, a small percent of customers said it was wobbly because the screws don’t sit “flush” inside their compartments.
This seems like a defect that affects some rather than a problem with the entire post itself.
While the style definitely lives up to the Basics part of the name, it’s still a good option for those who want something simple for their kitties.
- Scratching post provides a place for cats to sharpen their claws and keep nails healthy
- Includes a single pillar scratching post in neutral colors with a replaceable dangle toy
- Natural jute fiber provides an optimal scratching surface
- Sturdy wood base helps prevent the post from tipping
- Ideal for redirecting cats away from scratching household carpet or furniture
- Product dimensions: 16 x 16 x 35 inches (LxWxH)
The SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post is a good deal pricier than the AmazonBasics, but it’s a 4.5-star option across over 12,000 ratings. Let’s see why.
Features and benefits of SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post
- Stands at 32″ so cats can fully stretch.
- The 16×16 base is designed to eliminate wobbling and tipping.
- Durable woven sisal rope materials.
- Assembles quickly and easily, with just two included screws.
- Stylish modern design
- Somewhat pricey for a basic scratching post.
- Some complaints that it has an odor (which may prevent cats from using it)
While there are a couple of terrifying 1-star ratings, a whopping 81% of customers gave this 5 stars, so that should tell you something.
Many customers talk about how durable it is, something that I definitely like to hear considering the price.
As far as style goes, while it’s not exactly exciting, I actually think it’s a fairly stylish design. I mean, it’s a scratching POST, it doesn’t promise to be a piece of art.
I do get really freaked out about negative reviews- especially when people say things like “it hurt my baby,”, but again, they make up 3% out of 12K ratings.
Defects can affect literally anything that you buy, and they’re the exception rather than the norm.
Given the number of happy cat parents, I think this one is worth a try.
- 32″ height allows cats to stretch fully and tone muscles
- Sturdy 16″ by 16″ base eliminates tipping and wobbling
- Fibrous and durable woven sisal naturally inspires scratching
- Superior to carpeted posts that may snag nail
- Assembles with two included screws
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
- Included Components: Screws And Dowels
This one is one of the most budget-friendly scratching posts for large cats for those who don’t have $50++ to drop on something literally designed to be destroyed.
Don’t let the lower price scare you, though, it’s actually a highly rated scratching post.
Features and benefits of Kitty City XL Wide Premium Scratching Posts for Large Cats
- Stable width and 32″ height.
- Easy to assemble with three screws.
- Includes a cute little jingle toy on top.
- BV Pet Safety Certified
- Covered in premium sisal
- Fleece cover on the top so kitty can “sit her fluffy a** and survey [her] kingdom,” as one reviewer put it.
- Comes with cat nip spray*
- A bit on the “eh” side style-wise.
- Won’t last forever
Just over 1,800 people gave it a combined total of 4.5 stars, so again, it’s obviously beloved by our fellow cat parents.
Regarding the little asterisk next to “comes with catnip spray” in the pros- it’s not mentioned in the features, but more than a few reviewers mentioned it.
So, consider it a nice “extra” rather than a guaranteed feature.
I actually had a bunch of stuff by Kitty City over the years.
Their products are actually more durable than one would expect for the price, and my cats always have a blast with them.
That said, for just over $20, don’t expect this to be a “lifetime guarantee” type of scratching post.
Still, if you have a relatively small budget, you can’t go wrong with Kitty City.
- Attractive and neutrally toned to fit any decor.
- Perfect, stable Width and extra-tall Height designed for cats
- Overall Size: 17. 7"(L) x 17. 7"(W) x 32"(H)
- Fun, jingle Ball toy included at the top of the post. B pet safety Certified
- Easy assembly: with 3 screws, The post conveniently and quickly mounts to the base.
Before we head to some of my other favorite places to buy cat furniture, let’s check out one by PetFusion.
I think it’s a pretty neat option!
Features and benefits of PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratching Post
- Measures 24 x 10. 5 x 21. 1 inches.
- Made from recycled cardboard, so it’s eco-friendly.
- Held together by non-toxic glue.
- Vertical base, plus cubby hold for kitty to play in.
- Numerous scratching angles.
- Rotate it around when one side wears out, so it lasts six times as long.
- 6-month warranty, but only against manufacturer defects.
- Award-winner- Cat Fancy named it the best new product in 2014.
- Comes with premium USA organic catnip leaf.
- While wide enough for large cats, it’s not really tall enough for “stretch and scratchers”
- It’s made of cardboard, so it will shred (and make a mess!)
- Some cats just aren’t that into it.
While its unique shape may draw some cats’ curiosity, it’s also among the most complained-about feature.
Some cats just plain ignore it, no matter how much catnip you tuck inside.
I wish that it was a bit taller for Alex, but I can definitely see Zoe using it.
The fact that it’s made from cardboard means it WILL get messy, though.
Overall, this one earned 4.5 stars across 2,500+ ratings, though, so again, that’s a great sign.
Side note- definitely read the top “favorable” review, it’s hilarious!
- CATS LOVE IT: (I) A scratcher, play area, & SO MUCH MORE. (II) Incl premium USA organic catnip leaf. (III) Natural scratching, healthy claws, great exercise, & stress reliever, better overall wellness
- YOU'LL LOVE IT: (I) Made of recycled cardboard & corn starch glue. (II) Attractive design, neutral colors. (III) Recommended to save your furniture as cats prefer the feel of cardboard. Happy cat, happy you
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: (I) Vertical based on your cat's preference or to compliment horizontal scratching, also features a cubby hole for exploration & play. (II) Curves provide numerous stretching & scratching angles. (III) Naturally attracts cats
- GREAT VALUE: (I) Rotate for 6 times the use. (II) Superior quality cardboard & construction lasts longer than other scratchers. (IV) 1 Year Warranty
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (I) 24 X 10.5 X 21 Inches. (II) Fully recyclable (III) 1 Year Warranty
Nothing beats getting a new piece of furniture. When you have cats, though, you don’t only have to worry about spilled wine on the couch or other wear and tear.
Features and benefits of Sofa-Scratcher’ Cat Scratching Post & Couch-Corner/Furniture Protector
- can survive for years in a one-cat home
- It comes with a stand that you screw into the holes on the base of the scratching pole (the holes are pre-drilled), allowing it to stand on its own or, slip beneath the sofa where the cat prefers to gravitate
- If it pushes up against your sofa, the opposite side is carpeted, so there’s no chance of snagging it.
- It’s easy to move around
- Unobtrusive looking
- A bit pricey for a scratching post (but still a good value)
- Can not be used on recliner seats
It’s simple to install on your couch: simply insert the base, which is quite thin, beneath the leg of your furniture to keep it firm.
The cat scratcher is composed of sisal, which your cat will prefer to scratch over sofa and furniture legs.
- Contoured sisal-covered cat scratching post / panel made from industry's finest, premium quality, woven sisal fabric
- Ultra-thin base of cat scratching post MUST be placed under sofa legs to anchor it for stability
- Encourages positive, healthy scratching behavior for your cats or kittens while protecting your furniture
- Hand-Made From Scratch in the USA - 100% approved by veterinarians, breeders and fanciers
- Fits most sofas (not recliners) - Sofa-Scratcher is ideal for wide or rounded couch corners, while Sofa-Scratcher Squared is purrfect for those 90-degree front or rear couch corners. Visit our storefront to compare and check out our newest product, 'Attach 'n' Scratch', for damage-free wall-scratching!!!
Features and benefits of Cat’s Choice 34 inch Solid Wood Scratching Post
- Stands just shy of 3′, making it perfect for lanky cats who like to do the “sretch and scratch.”
- Arrives fully assembled and ready to go.
- Solid wood
- Covered in plush household grade carpet and unoiled sisal rope.
- Carpeted on the base and top for kitty’s comfort.
- Handcrafted in the US
- 5 color options (see cons, though)
- Some color choices cost an extra $5-10
- Somewhat pricey when it’s not on sale
- Carpet will likely make a mess
This one is currently on sale, so the price con really doesn’t apply. While just short of $80 is still a bit high, it’s totally fair for solid wood posts.
However, if/when that sale ends, it is somewhat pricey for those on a tight budget.
I can definitely see that carpeting getting all over the place as my cats shred it, but as I said earlier, that’s not really a deal-breaker issue.
It’s a solid choice- pun intended- for large kitties who really like to stretch their whole bodies up as they scratch.
Last up, I really love the Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher from Cat’s Play! It’s like three pieces of furniture in one.
Features and benefits of Tri-Frame Cat Bed Lounge and Scratcher
- Solid wood
- 20″ x 20″ sisal scratch pad
- Plush cushion with washable cover
- Top is 10×24″
- Ventilated base for air flow
- Triples as a scratcher, bed, and a side table!
- Two finishes
- Expensive shipping
- Not made in the USA
While this one is technically pricier than some of the others, I think it’s actually among the best as far as “value for the money” goes.
You get a great scratching post, a cozy bed, AND a little side table in one.
However, it doesn’t seem to be made in the USA, as Cat’s Play usually denotes that in the description, and this time they didn’t.
Shipping is also fairly pricey.
Still, if you have a small home, I love how this one gives your cats a place to scratch and hang out while also giving you a little table for some smaller items.
How to choose a cat scratching post for large cats
First, I’m going to assume that you’re looking for actual scratching posts, and not just yet another list of expensive cat trees with sisal-wrapped poles.
I get really frustrated when I open up a shopping guide and see literally everything but what I’m actually looking for, so I won’t do that to you.
If that is what you have in mind, we have dozens of cat tree buying guides here on Catvills for literally every size kitty. 🙂
Today, we’re focusing strictly on large or tall cat scratching posts.
A couple of them may double as something else- a condo, a bed, etc- but “scratchability” was my core requirement.
Let’s quickly talk about what I’m looking for in my top picks, then we’ll get to the heart of the matter.
Related: Best Scratching Post for Older Cats
What to look for in a scratching post for large cats
We’ll make this quick because I feel like it’s easier to see what I look for by actually looking at my favorites.
Here’s a basic rundown, though, so you know where I’m coming from.
The first one is actually specific to large cats, while the rest are general requirements and things I consider in all scratching posts.
is it big enough to satisfy your large cat’s scratching needs ? I have two rather big kitties.
Alex is part Maine Coon and Zoe is just a stocky Russian Blue (we think, her mama was a stray).
My scratching posts have to accommodate my long and lanky Alex because he likes to do what I call the “stretch and scratch.”
At the same time, if it includes a place to sit, it needs to actually hold my Zo-Zo.
Material & Safety
What makes up the actual scratching surface? Is it sisal? Jute? Wood? Some random man-made material I’ve never heard of?
If it’s sisal or another type of rope-like material, how tightly wound is it? Will it come off the first time they use it?
Is the material safe? If it’s glued onto the post, is it done so with non-toxic adhesives?
Durability & Value
I need to know that the post will actually survive regular usage for as long as it takes for me to feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth.
Now, in some cases, that may be just weeks or months. I’ve bought scratching posts that cost $5 and lasted about two months.
That’s fine! I’m not complaining. I mean $2.50 a month comes out to, what, $30 a year? Not too bad for scratching posts!
However, if I’m spending more money- say anything over $25- and it’s totally ruined within two months, I get super ticked.
I mean, in that case, it’s like spending $300 a year on scratching posts. At that point, I could have bought two ginormous cat trees!
By “mess factor,” I mean how much of a mess will it make when my cats use it?
Will bits of sisal or cardboard fly all over the room? Will it make my house look like a carpet factory exploded in it?
While I wouldn’t call this a “deal-breaking factor,” if I’m looking at two options that are equally good, but one is less messy overall, I’m definitely going for that option.
I really don’t like cleaning! 😀
Okay, so now that you have a good idea of what to look for in the best cat scratching post for large kitties, let’s look at my top picks.
READ MORE: How to Train a Cat to Use a Scratching Post
Do adult cats need scratching post?
Yes, all cats need an outlet for their scratching urge, so giving a scratching post will save your furniture, drapes, and carpets from damage.
Do cats need a tall scratching post?
Yes, a tall scratching post is good to help them stretch.
How many scratching posts per cat?
It’s advisable to have one scratching post per cat
While all of these scratching posts for large cats are great options, I still really love that ladder-style one! However, if it’s a bit out of your price range, I do like the Kitty City option.
- 1. Zhang L, McGlone JJ. Scratcher preferences of adult in-home cats and effects of olfactory supplements on cat scratching. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 2020;227:104997.
- 2. DePorter TL, Elzerman AL. Common feline problem behaviors: Destructive scratching. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 2019;21:235–43.
Nicole is one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Learn more about Nicole Here
Last update on 2022-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API