Finding small litter boxes for small spaces isn’t really a huge challenge.
However, finding fantastic ones for small spaces…that gets a bit trickier!
Today, we’ll talk about how to choose the perfect box for your apartment.
Then, we’ll check out my top five picks that you really can’t go wrong with!
➔ Other litter box ideas: best litter box for messy cats
How to Choose the Right Small Litter Box for Your Small Space
Like I said above, it’s not all that hard to find small litter boxes that fit into tiny spaces. The problem is finding really outstanding boxes that won’t stink up the place!
Read on for some things to consider as you shop for your cat’s box so you know what went into choosing my top five picks.
You’ll notice that, unlike choosing a large litter box for a Maine Coon cat, you only really need to think about three things when looking for a small box.
➔ Other litter box ideas: Omega Paws self-cleaning litter box reviews
1. Superior odor control
Odor control is by far the most important thing to consider when buying a space-saving litter box for your apartment.
No one wants to smell their cat’s waste, but when you’re literally trapped within feet of the box at all times, it’s a make-or-break factor.
Your best bet is always going to be a covered litter box…with one exception (I’m not telling you what it is yet, you’ll find out below!).
The obvious reason: litter boxes with lids do a better job of trapping odors inside the box.
2. Location, location, location
If you’re wondering “”Where should I keep my litter box in a small apartment?” the answer really shouldn’t surprise you.
Ideally, you want to place it in your bathroom, since it’s already the stinkiest room in the house! Hey, it’s true, right?
Of course, if you have an itty bitty bathroom, it’s not such an easy answer. Don’t worry, my picks include a narrow litter box for a small bathroom!
Your other option is to place the litter box in bedroom closet, but I would NOT do this if you also use the closet for your clothes or linens!
3. Your budget
You wouldn’t think that budget concerns would be a huge issue when buying a litter box, but I’ve seen some insanely expensive options out there!
So yes, the third and final thing to consider is exactly how much money you can afford to spend on something that you cat only uses to deposit waste into.
While there are a couple of pricey options on my list, they’re totally worth it. You’ll see why.
Now that you know what to look for (and what I looked for), let’s check out my recommendations.
Check out the table for a quick reference, then we’ll get started.
FYI: This post has affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Use this table below for a quick guide:
Top 5 Small Litter Boxes for Small Spaces
Now, what’s you’ve been waiting for: my top five recommendations for the best space-saving litter boxes for your teeny, tiny space.
As a bonus, I’ll also give you my pick for the best cat litter for a small apartment!
1. Modkat Litter Box Review: Best Top-Entry Litter Box REVIEW
Features & Pros
- Top-entry configuration makes it easy to slide into tiny space, since you don’t need to leave much room in front of the box.
- The seamless, full-height base prevents leaks and eliminates litter scatter, making it a good choice for litter box in a closet.
- Super easy to clean, just swivel the lid and scoop the box!
- Includes a reusable liner that hooks into place, won’t rip, and is easy to clean.
- Let’s talk about the elephant in the room first: the price. It’s a bit high for a litter box, especially one that doesn’t clean itself.
- A lot of Modkat users also complained about the liners. While they’re great in theory, many a cat has managed to get urine under the liner.
- It’s not the best option for older cats who have a hard time jumping up.
If you have a younger cat and the money to spend, the ModKat litter box really is a fantastic option.
It’s sleek, relatively stylish, and has a great design that makes it easy to fit just about anywhere.
However, when I still my had senior cat (she crossed the bridge at age 22), I know she wouldn’t have been able to use it, so I don’t recommend it for older kitties.
- PREVENTS LITTER TRACKING: The patented design of the Modkat top-entry litter box nearly eliminates litter tracking. The locking lid acts as a walk-off mat that keeps litter in the box and off of your floors.
- SWIVEL LID = EASY CLEANING: Simply swivel and scoop. Any litter left on the lid will drop neatly inside when the lid is opened.
- REUSABLE LINER: The Modkat Reusable Liners are tailored to fit neatly inside the Modkat Litter Box. They are rip-resistant and easy to clean. Liners can last up to 3 months.
- LOOKS GREAT IN YOUR HOME: The award-winning, modern design looks great and complements any room.
- ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION: Comes with everything you need; a full height seamless base to prevent leaks, an easy open swivel lid, large hanging litter scoop, and a reusable tarp liner for effortless litter removal.
2. Petmate Booda Dome Litter Box Review
While they have a lot of great options, my money goes to the Booda Box.
I actually had one the one with steps years ago in my own small space, but for your tiny apartment I recommend the plain Booda Dome sans steps.
Features & Pros
- The dome is completely enclosed, which significantly cuts down on odor. Mine was located like three feet behind where I sat to watch TV, and I couldn’t smell a thing!
- That same design, along with the ridged entry way, also cuts back on litter tracking.
- Includes a replaceable charcoal filter to further reduce odors.
- It’s perfect for cats who prefer a lot of privacy when they do their business.
- It’s not the most stylish litter box. While it does come in a couple different colors, they all definitely have that ” plastic litter box” look to them.
- Definitely not big enough for large kitties. My biggest cat wouldn’t even make it through the door.
- The top and bottom pieces do not lock together. The top just sits on the bottom. Snugly, mind you, but a determined cat could kick it free.
The Booda Dome is great as long as you have a smaller cat, and the price is very affordable. In fact, it costs less now than it did nearly a decade ago when I bought mine!
I loved mine and used it for a few years before it needed to be replaced. My large cat is the only reason I didn’t replace it with another one.
- LESS LITTER-SCATTER: Litter dome encircles all sides of the litter pan to keep floors litter-free; raised entrance prevents litter-scatter as pets step in and out
- ODOR-ELIMINATING FILTER: Featuring a charcoal litter box filter that absorbs odors, the covered cat litter dome can be placed in any room of the home; replacement filters available for purchase separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: No-corner cat litter box features a rounded pan with no stubborn angles to clean and a hard plastic tray to resist caked-on mess
- ATTRACTIVE COLORS AND DESIGN: Unique, circular design in four pearlescent colors offers an attractive alternative to standard litter boxes; Available colors: "Metallic Pearl White", "Pearl Lady Pink", "Pearl Peacock", and "Titanium"
- PROMOTES PRIVACY, CONCEALS LITTER: Hooded top of the Booda dome encloses the pan, ensuring privacy for cats while keeping litter hidden from view
- LITTER LINER-COMPATIBLE: Cleaning this circular litter box is even more effortless with Petmate's Litter Dome Liners; 12-pack available for purchase separately
3. AmazonBasics Corner Litter Box Review
I’m a big fan of AmazonBasics products because they’re usually affordable and highly rated. The same goes for their Corner Litter Box.
It doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but if you need something that fits into a snug corner in your bathroom, it’s a great choice.
Features & Pros
- The triangular design makes it easy to fit just about anywhere in your apartment.
- Includes a charcoal filter to cut down on odor.
- Made of heavy-duty durable plastic.
- Even with its space-saving design, it’s still big enough for larger cats.
- Litter can get trapped between the top and bottom panel.
- The back panel isn’t flat, which makes cleaning it a bit of a challenge.
- That same indentation makes the “usable space” a lot smaller than the actual dimensions.
Although it’s not my favorite litter box overall, it is my top pick for a corner box because it’s inexpensive and fits just about anywhere.
Plus, it’s really inexpensive, making it the top choice for those on a super tight budget as well.
- Hooded cat litter box in a triangular design
- Wedge shape allows litter box to be easily placed in corners
- Hooded design prevents litter scatter and leaks
- Charcoal filter to suppress unwanted odors
- Removable top for easy cleaning and litter changing
- Heavy-duty molded plastic construction
4. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Review
The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box is definitely the priciest option on this list of small litter boxes for small spaces, but the features definitely make up for the cost.
Features & Pros
- Let’s state the obvious pro first: it cleans itself! In fact, you can go WEEKS without ever touching it.
- The Crystal cat litter does a great job of absorbing urine to remove odors. It’s also 99% dust-free.
- No scooping required! Just remove the tray, toss it, and put a new one in.
- It’s safe and hygienic for both you and your cat.
- Aside from the initial price, the biggest con is the proprietary litter that you’ll have to use. A 6-pack of replacement trays will run you more than half the price of the system to begin with.
- Multi-cat homes end up replacing the litter significantly more often than single-cat homes, which means you’ll be paying even more money in the long run.
- The rakes that move the litter tend to rust.
Plus, if you just have one cat, the litter ends up costing about as much as you’d spend on clumping litter.
That said, I’d recommend this for single-cat apartments. With multiple cats, the cons do end up outweighing the pros.
- SELF-CLEANING LITTER BOX: Self-cleans for weeks with no scooping, cleaning or refilling
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal cat litter absorbs urine and dehydrates solid waste to remove odors; covered trap locks away solid waste and odor so you never have to touch or see smelly waste
- LESS MESS: Low-tracking crystals don't stick to your cat's feet and are 99% dust-free
- LEAK PROTECTION: Plastic tray lining creates a powerful extra barrier to help protect against leakage
- EASY, CONVENIENT CLEANUP: No scooping required; simply remove the disposable litter tray and throw it away
- PRODUCT SUPPORT: PetSafe brand's US-based Customer Care experts will be glad to help; call Monday through Saturday at 1-800-845-3274
- EXPERIENCE: PetSafe brand has been an industry leading US manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
5. IRIS Top Entry Litter Box Review
The IRIS top-entry box is one of the most highly rated small litter boxes for small spaces. Let’s find out why.
Features & Pros
- As with the Modkat, the top entry makes it easy to fit anywhere and eliminates tracking and leakage.
- The box itself is definitely the most stylish on our list! In fact, it comes in 8 color combinations.
- Entry way is wide enough for most large cats.
- The small holes on the lid have a purpose: they help remove litter from your cat’s paws to keep it from tracking all over.
- The top-entry system combined with the high height may be a challenge for senior cats to use.
- While the entry is large enough for big cats, the lid is not sturdy enough for heavier kitties.
- Some reviewers complained that their cat simply won’t use it. That’s not a con against the brand, but the overall style.
I love it because it has all of the features you want in a space-saving litter box at a price that’s incredibly affordable.
In fact, depending on which color you choose, this is the cheapest box on the list.
- Unique and stylish design that gives your feline friend privacy. BPA free
- Prevents litter scatter. Keeps Fidos nose out of the cats business
- Round corners allow for easy cleaning. Non-skid rubber feet
- Prevents dogs from making a mess with the litter
- Entire Dimensions: 20.47"L x 16.14"W x 14.56"H
- Inside Dimensions: (Widest point) 20.0"L x 16.0"W x 14.0"H (Bottom narrowest point) 17.5"L x 13.5"W
Before we get to my final overall recommendations, let’s quickly go over the best cat litter for a small apartment.
Best Cat Litter for a Small Apartment
The right cat litter makes just as much a difference as the right box when it comes to odor control in a small space. Honestly, the best brand depends quite a bit on your preferences.
However, without a doubt I would recommend sticking to some sort of clumping litter because it’s easier to clean and tends to bind odors better than non-clumping.
If you need a few ideas, here are my top three favorite brands, plus two more great choices that I’ve used in the past.
- FreshStep Ultra Unscented Clumping Litter
- ScoopAway Multi Cat Formula
- World’s Best Cat Litter, Multiple Cat Clumping Formula
- Nature’s Miracle Intense Defense Clumping Litter
- Garfield All-Natural Cat Litter
So, which of these small litter boxes for small spaces should you buy? Well, that depends on your preferences and budget, of course!
Each one has its stand-out benefits, but they all have their downsides as well. Personally, I would buy the IRIS if I thought my current cats would use a top-entry box.
Since they won’t, though, I’d go with the AmazonBasics corner box. While it has the least bells and whistles out of all the boxes on this list, it gets the job done at an affordable price.
Which of these small litter boxes for small spaces would you buy? Do you have any other recommendations? Share below!
Last update on 2019-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API