If you’re on the hunt for the best cat litter boxes for odor control, I’ve got you covered (or uncovered, as the case may be).
Today, we’ll check out the top 5 boxes that do a great job at controlling or concealing the stinkier side of cat parenting.
First, though, let’s check out a few things to look for when shopping for the best odor free litter box!
How to Choose the Best Odor-Free Litter Box
As you’re shopping around for the best litter box for odor control, you’ll want to keep a few things in mind.
Is it hooded or uncovered?
First things first: hooded or uncovered?
This answer usually depends entirely on your cat, as some strongly prefer one over the other (and by “strongly” I mean they won’t even use the other).
While a covered box is ideal for obvious reasons, don’t worry if your cat will only use an uncovered box. I’ve got a solution just for you below!
Does it have a filter?
Ideally, you want a litter box with a charcoal filter, as the charcoal actually eliminates odors versus just concealing them.
Some of the most popular litter boxes for odor-control don’t have a filter, though.
Instead, they rely on good proprietary litter, odor-resistant materials, or an enclosed system.
That’s fine, as long as they have some way of “filtering” the odors.
What kind of litter does it use?
Once upon a time, cat parents could choose between either clay litter or clumping litter. That’s it.
If you wanted the best cat litter for odor control, you went with the clumping.
Now, we can choose between everything from clumping and clay to old newspapers to corncob litter to crystals to…well, the list goes on and on.
When you’re shopping for your odor-free litter box, pay attention to the type of litter that it uses.
Some will take just about any kind of litter while others use one very specific type!
Where will you put it?
The best litter box for odor control depends quite a bit on exactly where you plan to put that box.
Some boxes do a great job of concealing odor when they’re placed in the bathroom, yet still stink like crazy when you’re sitting right next to it in your tiny apartment.
My cat’s litter boxes are in the laundry room. I don’t smell them at all, even when I walk by.
Yet I put the same boxes down in my office when I still had my elderly cat, and it was all I smelled all day long!
Bottom line, if you have a tiny apartment and need to share a room with the litter box, you definitely want the best of the best.
Don’t worry, I’ll tell you which one that is!
Now that we know what to look for, let’s check out my top five picks!
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Best Cat Litter Boxes for Odor Control
Use the table below to take a quick look at the best litter boxes for odor control, then keep reading for more details!
1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan Review
The Catit is a fantastic “no-frills” odor-controlling litter box for those who need a budget-friendly hooded option.
Features & Pros
- The hooded system gives your cat privacy and conceals the mess inside.
- The added swinging door also helps trap odors inside the box
- When they say “jumbo,” they mean it! It’s roomy enough for two cats!
- Uses a carbon filter to remove odors.
- Comes with a free sample of the Magic Blue Litter Box Filter and replacements are inexpensive.
- Not great for high-spraying cats, since urine can leak out the seams.
- A couple of users complained that the swinging door trapped their cat inside the box.
- While it’s durable for the most part, even the best plastic gets brittle or breaks down over time, so it’s not a “lifetime” box.
You would be hard-pressed to find a basic hooded litter box with a higher overall rating than Catit! People absolutely LOVE this litter box.
When my current litter box bites the dust, this is the one I’m going with. It’s budget-friendly and large enough for my multi-cat household.
- Provides your cat with privacy while retaining their litter inside the pan
- Large hood lifts up for easy access for cleaning
- Carbon filter works to remove odors
- Perfect for multi-cat households
- Pan dimensions is 22.4 long x 18.3 high x 20 wide in inches. Door opening measures 10.4 inches by 9.6 inches. Dimension when assembled is 22"L x 20"W x 18"H.Hand wash with mild sop and water
- Includes a free sample of the Magic Blue Litter Box Filter (available for purchase on Amazon)
2. MODKAT XL Litter Box Review
The Modkat is probably one of my favorite litter boxes of all time because it’s so stylish and high-configurable.
Features and Pros
- Thanks to the patent-pending design, you can make it either a top of front-entry box.
- The enclosed system helps keep odors inside the box.
- When used as a top-entry box, there’s virtually no litter tracking.
- Swivel lid makes it easy to clean.
- Roomy enough for most cat breeds.
- It’s not the most budget-friendly litter box.
- Since it’s a larger box, it might not fit in your apartment.
- Replacement liners aren’t cheap!
I really love this litter box, mostly because you can switch it from front to top entry in a flash.
It’s also relatively stylish considering it’s basically a cat bathroom! If you have the budget for it, I highly recommend it.
- TOP OR FRONT-ENTRY: The patent pending design gives you the option to configure the Modkat XL as a top or front-entry litter box. Simply remove the front cover and snap on the walk-off platform to make it front-entry!
- PREVENTS LITTER TRACKING: The Modkat XL nearly eliminates litter tracking when it is configured as a top entry litter box. When it is configured as a front-entry litter box the walk-off step reduces litter tracking.
- SWIVEL LID, EASY TO CLEAN: Simply swivel and scoop. Any litter left on the lid will drop neatly inside when the lid is opened.
- REUSABLE LINER: The Reusable Liners are secured by hooks and are tailored to fit neatly inside the Modkat XL. Includes one top-entry liner and one front-entry liner. They are rip-resistant and easy to clean. Liners can last up to 3 months.
- MORE ROOM: The Modkat XL is perfect for cats of all sizes and multi-cat households. Dimensions: 21" L x 16.5" W x 17" H.
3. PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box Review
If you’re looking for the best automatic odor-free box, the ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box is a great choice!
There’s a reason why it’s one of the most popular self-cleaning boxes on Amazon!
Features & Pros
- Uses dust-free crystal litter instead of traditional clumping litter.
- Disposable tray makes it easy to clean.
- The tray system and crystals combine to make it virtually odorless!
- You can get it with or without a hood, depending on your preferences.
- Extra-long 10-foot cord makes it easy to put it just where you want it.
- You can only use their brand of crystal cat litter.
- Replacement trays can be pricey if you have multiple cats.
- The rake system that moves the litter is prone to rusting.
- The cardboard tray isn’t really durable when you have a cat that furiously digs in his box.
The ratings on the PetSafe ScoopFree system pretty much speak for themselves.
Even with the cons, it’s still a great self-cleaning system for those who put odor-control at the top of their “must have” list.
- SELF-CLEANING LITTER BOX: Self-cleans for weeks with no scooping, cleaning or refilling
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal cat litter absorbs urine and dehydrates solid waste to remove odors; covered trap locks away solid waste and odor so you never have to touch or see smelly waste
- LESS MESS: Low-tracking crystals don't stick to your cat's feet and are 99% dust-free
- LEAK PROTECTION: Plastic tray lining creates a powerful extra barrier to help protect against leakage. For indoor use only
- EASY, CONVENIENT CLEANUP: No scooping required; simply remove the disposable litter tray and throw it away
- PEACE OF MIND: Health counter tracks how many times your cat uses the box and safety sensors automatically reset the rake timer if your cat re-enters the box
- EXPERIENCE: PetSafe brand has been an industry leading U.S. manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
4. iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Litter Box Review
The iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Cat XL Litter box is pretty basic, but don’t let that fool you! It does a great job at controlling odors!
Features and Pros
- Ergonomic design has no sharp edges to endanger your cat.
- Since it’s made of stainelss steel, it won’t absorb odors at all.
- It also stays free of residue and rust.
- The XL size is big enough even for the Maine Coon.
- Nonstick coating on the stainless steel makes it a cinch to clean.
- No cover, so your cat’s business is right there in the open.
- Only comes in one size, so if you have a petite cat and a small space, it’s not the best option.
- Short “walls” make it a bad choice for high-peeing cats.
If you want a plastic-free option or prefer an uncovered box, the iPrimio is definitely your best choice.
While there are a couple of other stainless steel litter boxes out there, this is the most highly rated option.
- WHY STAINLESS STEEL LITTER BOX? - Stainless will NEVER RUST and LONGEST LASTING. It will be the ONLY Litter Box you will ever need or buy. Ergonomic Design as We ROUNDED the EDGES so there are NO SHARP Sides.
- NEVER ABSORBS ANY ODOR, STAIN AND RUST FREE - Plastic litter boxes unpleasantly odor in your home and gets stained after few uses which may be harmful for your cat. Our Stainless-Steel Litter box never collect any residue, odor and its completely rust free.
- EXTRA LARGE SIZE & ERGONOMIC DESIGN - 23.5 Inches Long by 15.5 Inches Wide by 6 Inches Deep. Many cats prefer on open litter box since its easy for them to access but they will love it when they see there's more space, super-sized that has 6" depth and 15" wide with rounded edges and no sharp sides. **There are TWO HOLES on the pan's edge. This is for our custom scooper holder that will be released soon.
- EASY TO CLEAN UP - Sometimes it is painful to clean and wash litter boxes but this nonstick coated litter box doesn't resist and build any residue which can go away in one wash only. Please notice the STICKER shown on the litter box may NOT be on the box. The units we sell on Amazon may not likely have it. We sell to other retailers.
- RUBBER FEET ON THE BOTTOM prevents slipping and sliding. Protects all floors. RISK FREE PURCHASE FROM REGISTERED BRAND ON AMAZON - IPRIMIO is a registered brand on Amazon; We are the hardworking Michigan based company that always considers customer satisfaction as its top priority. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product, just let us know why and we will offer you full refund or a replacement for a free.
5. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box Review
If you love everything about the Modkat except the price and you’re willing to forgo the option of making it top OR front entry, try out the IRIS!
Features and Pros
- Like the Modkat, the enclosed system traps odors inside where they belong.
- The top-entry system is ideal for high-spraying cats.
- Entry is roomy enough for large cats (as long as they’re not too heavy).
- The holes on the lid knock litter back into the box so you don’t end up with stinky tracks all over the place.
- The lid accommodates larger cats but it’s not made for heavy kitties.
- Elderly cats may have a hard time jumping up into it.
- Cats who are used to front entry may not use it.
If you want a top-entry box but have a small budget, I definitely say grab this one!
Just remember, the lid doesn’t really support fat cats, so keep that in mind!
- Top entry kitty litter box is the perfect way to prevent litter scatter and contain spraying
- Large Top entryway on the Deep cat litter pan for easy entry and exit
- Small holes on the lid to help remove litter particles from the cat's paws and return it to the Large cat litter box
- Rounded shape and included litter scoop makes cleaning the covered cat litter pan easy
- Outer Dimensions: 20.50"L x 14.75"W x 14.38"H
- Inside Dimensions: (widest point) 19.12"L x 13.75"W x 14.25"H (bottom narrowest point) 17.0"L x 11.5"W
- Top opening: 9.25" Diameter
In my opinion, the best cat litter box for odor control is the self-cleaning PetSafe option because it’s constantly removing waste.
That said, I know not everyone wants an automatic box- especially one that uses proprietary litter.
If that’s the case for you, I love either the Modkat or the Iris, depending on your budget!
Do you have any of these best cat litter boxes for odor control? Share your thoughts below!
Last update on 2019-06-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API