I’m so sorry to hear about your cat’s chronic diarrhea. I have a cat with serious bowel issues, and I know how frustrating it can be.
Apart from the frustration of having a sick furbaby, the other issue is cat tracks all over the house.
One thing that helped me with the tracking was changing the litter I was using.
Here are some of the best litter for cats with chronic diarrhea that I used and some recommended to me.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Top Litters for Cats With Chronic Diarrhea at a Glance
- Fresh Step Advanced Clean Paws – Super absorbent and hard clumping
- World’s Best Cat Litter – No artificial ingredients or scents
- Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal – Suitable for multiple cats
- SWheat Scoop Fast Clumping Natural Litter – Biodegradable and flushable
- Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Clumping Litter – Superior absorption
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
READ MORE: The Cat Has Diarrhea But Seems Fine: Should I Worry?
TOP 5 Litters for Cats with Chronic Diarrhea – BUYING GUIDE
As specialists explain, “Diarrhea is not a disease, but rather is a sign of many different diseases.” (1)
Acute diarrhea can be due to worms, food intolerance, bacterial overgrowth, medicine, diet, or viral infection, among a few.
But chronic diarrhea is related to inflammatory bowel disease, resistant infections, cancer, and other conditions.
Keeping the house and having no mess litter box can be a nightmare in such situations.
So, what’s the best litter for cats with chronic diarrhea that won’t get tracked all over the house?
You need a brand that clumps well to take care of the watery stool and reduce the unpleasant odors.
Let’s see my top 5 recommendations and some standard toilet box alternatives for cats with a sensitive digestive tract.
Fresh Step has one of the best litter for cats of all ages, and their Advanced Clean Paws formula is perfect for animals prone to bouts of diarrhea.
Advanced Clean Paws has larger than average litter particles, so they’re less likely to stick to your feline friend’s fur and spread the cat poop around the house.
As this Reddit pet parent confirms, “The litter particles are bigger and heavier, so we get less mess and sticking to their britches.”And as you can see from this video, there’s almost no dust!
Moreover, Fresh Step’s advanced formula is super absorbent and traps odors on contact, so cat diarrhea is no match for it. It’s an excellent choice for multi-cat households and long-haired cats.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Fresh Step
|Low-tracking formula||A bit dusty|
|10-day odor control||Expensive|
|Super absorbent and hard clumping|
|Easy to clean|
- Fights odors longer: Fight litter box odors with Fresh Step advanced clean paws cat litter that starts fighting odors on contact to control odor longer vs. Fresh Step clean paws multi-cat
- Low tracking litter: Clean paws litter is designed to stay off of your cat's paws to help keep floors clean
- Low dust cat litter: For cleaner surfaces and cleaner air, this litter is 99% dust free
- Odor control: 10 days of odor control helps keep the litter box and your home smelling fresh
- Clumping cat litter: Clumps tight for easy scooping
- Age range description: All life stages
If your cat makes frequent trips to its toilet box and tracks dirty particles all over the house, consider switching to World’s Best Cat Litter.
Its unscented multi-cat formula has fast-acting absorbent power to deal with gooey poop and prevent the particles from sticking to your cat’s paws.
Moreover, World’s Best Brand is made from natural ingredients, such as corn. It’s not clay-based, so it can’t cause an intestinal blockage if your cat tends to eat litter.
And as this reviewer says, it has excellent odor control properties.
Benefits and Drawbacks of World’s Best Cat Litter
|No artificial ingredients or scents||A bit dusty|
|Lightweight||Clumps break apart easily|
|Long-lasting odor control|
- OUTSTANDING ODOR CONTROL — More cats shouldn’t mean more smells — keep your cats happy with a natural litter with long-lasting odor control.
- QUICK CLUMPING & EASY SCOOPING — Multiple cats can most often mean more clean up — but not with this fast-acting natural litter that requires no chiseling or scraping.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & 99% DUST FREE — Naturally free of silica dust, this lightweight cat litter offers low tracking and less mess — so you and your cat can breathe easy.For the best results, do NOT mix with a non-clumping litter
- PET, PEOPLE & PLANET FRIENDLY — A naturally safe litter made from whole-kernel corn that offers no harmful chemicals and no artificial perfumes
- Age range description: All Life Stages
Arm & Hammer has an excellent low-tracking product, perfect for cats with frequent bowel movements.
The formula employs a unique sealing technology to trap odors on contact for 14 days. And as you can see from this video, the moisture-activated granules form hard clumps for easy cleaning.
As such, you won’t have to worry about litter sticking to the bottom of the box or your cat’s paws.
The formula also includes baking soda to reduce unpleasant toilet odors. That’s great when you have a cat with chronic loose stools.
And as this pet parent shares, “It’s expensive but no odor if the cat buries his business and no dust to breathe in.”
Benefits and Drawbacks of Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal
|14-day odor control||It smells weird, according to customer reviews|
|An extra potent formula for maximum absorption||Heavy to lift|
|Suitable for multiple cats|
- 7 day guarantee. Experience the confidence of a 7-day odor free-home—guaranteed.
- 100% Dust Free, No more dust clouds when pouring or scooping.
- Seals and destroys odor. Moisture-activated Micro-Granules form a tight seal around cat waste odor, and heavy-duty odor eliminators plus ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda destroy sealed in odors on contact.
- No crumbly clumps. Plant-derived particles help create rock solid clumps for easy scooping.
- Strong enough for Multi-Cat households and also available in a Fresh Home Scent
Thanks to its all-natural, fast-acting formula, sWheat Scoop is one of the best litters for cats with chronic diarrhea.
Its most significant advantage is that it clumps on contact to produce hard clumps for easy cleaning, as you can see from this video.
Moreover, sWheat Scoop’s formula contains enzymes and natural starches to neutralize any urine or feces smell. And according to customer reviews, it tracks way less than other natural and clay-based brands.
sWheat Scoop also doesn’t contain any chemicals or fragrances, so it’s not going to upset your cat’s intestinal tract if your kitty eats some of it.
And as this pet parent, whose cat has IBD, says, “It’s unscented, no dust, biodegradable and flushable…it works for us. ”
Benefits and Drawbacks of sWheat Scoop
|All-natural ingredients||A bit dusty|
|Biodegradable and flushable||Not the best choice for multiple cats|
|Good odor control|
- Powerful, long-lasting odor control, Clumps fast for easy scooping
- No added dyes or perfumes
- Veterinarian Recommended
- 100% Biodegradable
Dr. Elsey’s is one of the best litter for cats with diarrhea because of its superior clumping power, outstanding odor control, and low-free formula.
It’s one of the few brands that form hard clumps on contact with cat urine and feces, no matter how loose your cat’s stools are.
And it generates much less dust than similar clumping products, as you can see from this video.
This brand is also made from natural ingredients without any plant proteins or fragrances that could upset your cat’s gastrointestinal tract.
Moreover, Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Clumping formula is suitable for multiple cats, so it’s strong enough to cover the unpleasant smell of diarrhea in cats.
And as this pet parent shares, ” I feel like Dr. Elsey’s has been the best for clumping, dust, and tracking.”
Benefits and Drawbacks of Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Clumping Litter
|Low-dust and low-tracking||Heavy bag|
|Superior absorption||It has a slight litter smell|
|Clumps hard, no matter the mess|
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
3 Alternatives to Cat Litter for Cats with Chronic Diarrhea
Unfortunately, even the best brands can disappoint from time to time when you have a cat with severe diarrhea. But here are three tips for salvaging the situation and reducing the tracking.
#1 Puppy Pads
Placing puppy pads in the toilet box can be an excellent solution if you have a cat with chronic diarrhea which doesn’t cover its waste.
While a bit messy, puppy pads can absorb the loose stool and reduce tracking around the house, but you’ll have to change them if your cat uses the toilet box.
Moreover, puppy pads make it easier to collect a stool sample from the litter trays or notice blood in stools.
#2 Dietary Supplements
Probiotics, such as s. Boulardii or Benefiber can make the difference when you have a cat with a sensitive digestive tract.
And as vets from PetMD explain, “Probiotic supplements can help return a cat’s intestinal bacterial population to normal. ” (2) They also improve the stool’s consistency and reduce inflammation.
#3 Automatic Litter Box
Automatic cat toilet boxes, such as the Littermaid cat boxes, can be a great alternative when you don’t want your cat to track dirty particles all over the house.
As this cat parent says, “I purchased a Litter-Robot almost exclusively for this reason, and it’s been working fine.”
Why does my cat have diarrhea all the time?
Frequent episodes of diarrhea in cats can be due to intestinal parasites, infectious diseases, cat food allergy, bacterial infection, intestinal tumors, liver disease, and more.
As such, you should take your kitty to the vet for blood tests, such as a complete blood count and fecal sample examination.
Why does my cat have diarrhea and not use the litter box?
Cats with diarrhea may not make it to the litter box or avoid it because they connect it with being in pain.
Can Litter Cause Diarrhea?
Usually, cat diarrhea is due to intestinal worms, sudden food change, or disease. But some cats can be allergic to certain litter brands with artificial fragrances and chemicals.
Switching to a different litter can make the difference when you have a cat with chronic diarrhea. The right brands don’t track, reduce the foul odor, and make it easy to scoop the mess.
However, you should work with your vet to determine the cause of chronic diarrhea in your cat and apply the right treatment to get your cat as healthy as possible.
And never overlook diarrhea in kittens. Kitten diarrhea is very dangerous because young cats are at risk of getting dehydrated, which can be fatal.
What do you think about these 5 best litters for cats with chronic diarrhea? Which brand do you use when your kitty has an upset stomach? Share your thoughts in the comment section.
What are your favorite litters for cats with chronic diarrhea? Please share below!
- 1. Diarrhea In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals. vcahospitals.com. Accessed April 20, 2022. https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/diarrhea-in-cats
- 2. Cat Diarrhea: 5 Treatment Options You Should Try. www.petmd.com. https://www.petmd.com/cat/care/cat-diarrhea-5-treatment-options-you-should-try
I’ve grown up surrounded by animals – dogs, cats, cows, goats, sheep, and horses and that has shaped me into what I am today – a crazy cat lady who always has a place for one more cat (or a dog). I’ve got two female cats – Kitty and Roni, and two tomcats – Blacky and Shaggy, but I also feed my neighbors’ cats when they come for a visit. I just can’t say no to them.
I discovered that writing is my vocation early in my school years. Since then I’ve taken part in several literature contests – writing horror and fantasy short stories and novellas.
For the past three years, I’ve been an ELS teacher, pouring my heart into showing children and teenagers how important English is for their future and trying to educate them how to treat their pets with care.
Learn more about Grigorina here
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API