If you have Litter-Robot, you may be wondering if it’s worth getting a Litter-Robot Cabinet to hide your cat’s automatic litter box.
Fortunately, I’m here to review this Litter-Robot enclosure in-depth and help you make up your mind.
Just keep reading.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Litter-Robot Cabinet In-Depth Review
Litter-Robot is one of the best self-cleaning cat litter boxes, but it still doesn’t contain unpleasant odors at 100%. And not every cat owner wants their guests to see the giant cat toilet box in the living room.
But you can’t just put the self-cleaning cat toilet box in a dark corner or rarely used room because cats won’t use it, which leads to litter box issues and inappropriate urination.
As specialists from PetMd explain, “Cats usually like to hang out with their humans, so one of those favorite spots may be perfect for a litter box.”(1)
So, the Litter-Robot box enclosure is the perfect solution for placing your cat’s toilet in their favorite spot and keeping it hidden.
But let’s talk more about its feature, benefits, and drawbacks.Get access to premium support, automatic accessories deliveries, free robot upgrades, and more for $29/month at iRobot.com! Sign up now and receive a up to $100 off your Activation Fee!
Features of Litter-Robot Storage Cabinet
This hidden litter box furniture is made from composite wood with a sleek coffee oak finish for an elegant design that matches any home interior.
It measures 30.7” x 28.1” x 34.3” with a weight of 83 pounds when assembled. The top part of the litter box storage cabinet can hold up to 35 pounds of weight, while the bottom portion holds 60 pounds.
So, your cat can rest on top of the enclosure without worrying about it breaking apart under your cat’s weight.
This concealer cabinet for Litter-Robot 3 also has interchangeable side entries to allow easy access to the toilet box while keeping it hidden behind cabinet doors.
Don’t worry about your cat not using a hidden litter box. Felines like to have privacy when doing their business, so they won’t be put off by the design.
And according to studies, most cats don’t have a preference for covered and uncovered toilets. (2) Instead, they always choose the clean litter box.
You can purchase a hutch, which can provide an additional space to store your cat’s litter box items, such as the Litter Robot cat litter.
The hutch’s stylish design and durable material also make it a great cat tree for your curious feline friend.
It measures 30.2” x 17.2” x 35.9” and can withstand up to 20 pounds. So, it’s perfect for large cat breeds or multiple cat homes.
Whiskers have friendly customer support, so you can always reach out to them if you have a product or assembly question.
But, you can’t use the Litter-Robot ramp because it won’t fit inside the cabinet.
How Has Litter-Robot Storage Cabinet Evolved?
The current version of the toilet box storage cabinet is a great improvement compared to the previous models:
- Instead of bamboo and birch plywood, it’s made from sturdy composite wood for durability
- Close-door design to keep the box well-hidden and give your cat privacy
- The current model has a bottom to protect the floors from spills and keep the automatic toilet box working properly.
How to Assemble Litter-Robot Storage Cabinet?
As I already mentioned, you need some tools to assemble the Litter-Robot 3 cabinet – an electric drill with a 1/4″ bit, a hammer, and a Phillips Screwdriver (No. 2).
The easier way to put together the hutch and the cabinet is by following this cabinet assembly video. It has detailed instructions on the steps you have to follow.
If you purchase the hutch, the manufacturer recommends that you put together the hutch before you assemble the cabinet.
What Are Cat Parents Saying About LR Storage Cabinet?
In general, cat parents are happy with the design and performance of the storage cabinet and hutch. They say it looks great once you manage to assemble it and call it one of the best pieces of cat furniture.
As this Reddit user says, “We’ve owned (it) since December 2020 & have had absolutely zero issues and zero stink issues.” (3)
This reviewer also mentions that the cabinet and hutch are well-constructed, sturdy, and look nice. And the cats seem to like it.
However, customers also say that there’s not much space inside the cabinet for cat litter storage, and the assembly is harder than expected because of misaligned screws.
Where to Buy Litter-Robot Storage Cabinet?
So, you’ve decided to invest in Whisker’s storage cabinet to hide your cat’s toilet box. Let’s talk about your best buying options.
Whisker’s website is your best option if you want to purchase this Litter-Robot 3 cabinet. You get free shipping, and you can always contact customer support if you have questions.
However, Whisker’s doesn’t offer refunds on opened furniture, so you can’t return the product if it’s not to your liking.
You can find Whisker’s Litter-Robot storage cabinet on Amazon. It’s the same price as the one from the official website, and you’ve got free shipping.
However, you can’t buy the optional hutch through Amazon.
- LITTER BOX FURNITURE: From the makers of Litter-Robot, this credenza is stylish and functional – hiding your cat's litter box while blending seamlessly into your living space.
- PERFECT FOR LITTER-ROBOT: The litter box cabinet is the perfect size for the automatic, self-cleaning Litter-Robot or a large traditional litter box – providing easy access through the side entryway.
- MODERN FARMHOUSE STYLE: With its rustic white plank finish, this credenza is the ultimate piece for trendy, stylish cat furniture. It can even accommodate a flat-panel television weighing fewer than 50 pounds.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: This cat litter box furniture is made from composite wood that can withstand scratches and spills better than traditional wood.
- DESIGNED & ASSEMBLED IN THE USA FOR 20 YEARS: Whisker is the leading innovator in pet technology and refined pet accessories. Our US-based customer service team is best reached directly via the Whisker website.
- Other Options
You can always keep an eye for second-hand Litter-Robot storage cabinets on eBay, Craiglist, and other online marketplaces.
How Does the Storage Cabinet Affect Litter-Robot’s sensors?
Previous models of this self-cleaning cat toilet box used to have an Internal Shield.
That’s why the old Litter-Robot enclosures had an alignment guide to ensure your unit isn’t touching the walls and interfering with the weight sensors.
Currently, Litter-Robot has removed the Internal Shield and replaced it with a beige plug. So, you don’t have to worry about the enclosure walls triggering the sensors and messing with the clean cycle.
The current Litter-Robot storage cabinet has a bottom, which is great because you need to place the unit on a firm, level surface. Otherwise, the sensors might not detect the difference in weight.
Is Litter-Robot Cabinet Worth Buying?
Since the Litter-Robot Cabinet is an expensive piece of cat furniture, you’re right to weigh the pros and cons. From my experience, the Litter-Robot Cabinet is worth buying if:
- You don’t have enough vertical space and need to enrich your cat’s environment
- You have problems with Litter-Robot smells and want to reduce the tracking and odors around the house
- You want to hide your cat’s litter box, but you aren’t handy enough to build a DIY storage cabinet by yourself
The Litter-Robot enclosure has a very elegant design, so no one will be the wiser about what you’re hiding behind its doors. And you’re bound to receive many compliments for its looks.
How big is the Litter-Robot drawer?
The Robot drawer measures 11″ x 16″ x 6,” so you have to clean it once a week if you have one cat or two or three times a week for multiple pets.
Where can I put my Litter-Robot?
You should put your Litter-Robot toilet near your old traditional litter box until your cat gets used to it. Then you can move it to another area but ensure you’ve got an outlet nearby.
As for where to put a cat litter box in small apartments, think about putting Litter-Robot in the bathroom or the laundry room.
Do cats prefer open or closed litter boxes?
Cats don’t have a clear preference for opened or closed toilet boxes. Instead, they’re more attracted to clean ones.
The Litter-Robot storage cabinet is a beautiful piece of litter box furniture, and it’s an excellent choice to conceal your cat’s toilet and protect your floors from damage.
And the cabinet is perfect for reducing litter tracking around the house and dealing with the unpleasant cat toilet doors.
Additionally, the optional hutch is perfect if you lack vertical space in your apartment. As this study explains, enriching your home environment is essential for keeping your indoor cat happy. (4)
What do you think about the Litter-Robot cabinet? Have you ever used it? Share your cabinet box review with us in the comment section.
- 1. Best (and Worst) Spots for Your Cat’s Litter Box [Internet]. www.petmd.com. Available from: https://www.petmd.com/cat/behavior/best-and-worst-spots-your-cats-litter-box
- 2. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232720172_Litter_box_preference_in_domestic_cats_Covered_versus_uncovered
- 3. r/litterrobot – Few questions before purchasing [Internet]. reddit. 2020 [cited 2022 May 9]. Available from: https://www.reddit.com/r/litterrobot/comments/oox11w/few_questions_before_purchasing/
- 4. Herron ME, Buffington CAT. Environmental Enrichment for Indoor Cats. Compendium (Yardley, PA) [Internet]. 2010;32:E4. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3922041/
I’ve grown up surrounded by animals – dogs, cats, cows, goats, sheep, and horses and that has shaped me into what I am today – a crazy cat lady who always has a place for one more cat (or a dog). I’ve got two female cats – Kitty and Roni, and two tomcats – Blacky and Shaggy, but I also feed my neighbors’ cats when they come for a visit. I just can’t say no to them.
I discovered that writing is my vocation early in my school years. Since then I’ve taken part in several literature contests – writing horror and fantasy short stories and novellas.
For the past three years, I’ve been an ELS teacher, pouring my heart into showing children and teenagers how important English is for their future and trying to educate them how to treat their pets with care.
Learn more about Grigorina here
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API