Last Updated: 1 month ago
Thinking of switching to one of those top entry litter boxes you keep seeing but aren’t sure if it’s right for your cat?
No worries, I’ve got you covered!
Below, I’ll give you a clear idea about whether these litter boxes would be a proper fit in your home.
Then, I’ll show you some high-quality choices that could meet all your expectations.
Best Top Entry Litter Boxes
As many of these options are available on both Amazon and Chewy, we’ve given you both links when applicable. That way, you can choose your favorite retailer.
1. IRIS USA Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- MADE IN USA with global materials - The IRIS USA top entry kitty...
- TOP ENTRY - The top entry of the cat litter pan means more privacy for...
- TIDY - The little holes in the lid catch any lingering litter...
IRIS USA’s Top Entry Cat Litter Box is a low tracking cat litter that does an excellent job keeping litter tracking to a minimum.
This benefit comes from the lid having small holes, removing litter and dust particles from your cat’s paws.
It’s a genius addition to stop disgusting used litter from finding its way onto your floor.
- Equipped with small holes on the lid to prevent tracking
- It comes with an included scoop
- Easy and comfortable access
- Rounded shape for easier cleaning
- Four color options: Black/White, Gray/White/
- It doesn’t come with handles for easy lifting
- Some issues with lid not fitting properly on defective models.
Its effective prevention of litter tracking is only one of its many benefits. Buyers will love how easy this box is to clean with its rounded shape and included scoop.
I was also impressed with the variety of color options, as the Black/White one would be a perfect fit.
However, I do wish it came with some handles to make it easier to lift. Also, on Chewy, some customers complain that the lid doesn’t fit properly.
As most reviews are positive, that seems to be an issue of a defective product versus a standard problem.
2. Petmate Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- TOP ENTRY LITTER BOX: This enclosed kitty litter box features high...
- LITTER-FREE FLOOR: The tall litter box allows cats to dig and cover...
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or...
If your cat’s known for kicking litter outside their box, Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan should nip this issue in the bud.
The product’s well-constructed tall design makes it almost impossible for a cat to get litter outside it.
You also have to love it being compatible with liners, making cleaning it a lot easier.
- It consists of durable, recycled plastic
- Proven to be effective against kicking and spraying
- Grated top lid for tracking prevention purposes
- Compatible with Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Liners.
- Built-in hook for the scoop
- Not a great choice for larger breeds
- Indented handle makes it tricky to find the right litter box liners.
Overall, its effectiveness against kicking and its liner compatibility make this option a must consider.
I didn’t even mention its built-in scoop hook, grated top lid, or durable plastic material. There are clearly many aspects to love about this top entry litter box.
But I do have to mention larger breeds like Maine Coons might not be ideal for this option. Make sure to measure your cat before putting money down on it.
3. PetSafe Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- AUTOMATICALLY REMOVES WASTE: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your...
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing...
- NO MORE MESSY FLOORS: Low-tracking crystals are 99% dust free and...
The PetSafe’s Self Cleaning Top Entry Cat Litter Box might be our most technologically advanced option.
For instance, it’s has a health counter to keep you up-to-date about your cat’s bathroom visits.
It’ll ensure you know how many times they went per day, making it easier to keep an eye on their health.
You’ll benefit from its self-cleaning ability, which removes the need to refill it for weeks at a time, as well.
- Easy cleanup
- Includes a bag of low-tracking odor control crystal litter
- Grated top lid for prevention of litter tracking
- Self cleans and removes the need for daily or even week scooping.
- Equipped with safety sensors and a health counter for ultimate convenience.
- Complaints that it stops working after just a few months.
I don’t think there’s a single notable feature missing from this outstanding product.
PetSafe did a fantastic job making a genuinely practical top entry litter box that every cat owner would adore.
As a result, the litter box’s expensive price tag shouldn’t be overly shocking. Customers will have to spend a small fortune on this product to be in their lives.
There are a handful of complains that it stopped working after a few months, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.
4. Modkat Top Entry Litter Box
- PREVENTS LITTER TRACKING: The patented design of the Modkat top-entry...
- SWIVEL LID FOR EASY CLEANING: The Modkat swivel lid provides quick...
- REUSABLE LINER INCLUDED: 1 Type-A liner included. The liners can be...
One of the most visually appealing options would be Modkat’s Top Entry Litter Box.
It features a very modern design that isn’t a constant ugly eyesore inside your home.
The product’s effectiveness against tracking and inclusion of a reusable liner isn’t anything to overlook, either.
- Swivel lid for easy cleaning
- Modern design
- It comes with a reusable liner and scoop
- Three color options
- It offers both front and top entries
- Some customers complained about shipping issues
Modkat went out of their way to build a litter box capable of meeting all my needs.
It’s easy to clean, comes in three stylish colors, offers two access points, and includes a liner/scoop with purchase. I can’t ask for much else from a top entry litter box.
Although, seeing other customers experiencing shipping concerns was disheartening. But these issues seemed to be problems with the mail service rather than Modkat.
5. Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
- Clever top entry design that cats love
- Eliminates tracking and is virtually dog-proof
- Reduces litterbox odor
It’s proven to eliminate 99% of litter tracking and prevents other problematic issues like spills.
Dogs even face difficulty when attempting to get inside this litter box.
- Excellent at reducing odors
- Design built to prevent spills
- Eliminates 99% of all tracking
- It keeps your dogs out
- Compatible with liners
- Not a great fit for larger breeds
It’s an intriguing option because of its ability to solve a host of common issues like spills, the litter tracking, and wafting odors.
I was genuinely thrilled to see it’s compatible with liners, as well, considering I use them all the time.
Large breed owners might have to look elsewhere, though. This Clevercat model wasn’t meant to hold up the Maine Coons within our cat community.
6. So Phresh Top-Entry Litter Box
- High Back Open Cat Litter Box from So Phresh
- Lid entrance helps provide added privacy and discourages curious pups
- Enclosed design also helps reduce odors
Buyers will absolutely adore So Phresh’s Top Entry Litter Box tilting lid feature.
Its inclusion makes sure the user doesn’t need to remove it when cleaning out their litter box.
The built-in tracking mat, lightweight design, and affordable price tag are other solid inclusions.
- Equipped with tilting lid for simple, easy cleaning
- Built-in tracking mat to keep cat paws clean
- Affordable price
- Easy to remove the lid
- Lightweight design for exception portability
- Boring design
- Not large enough for big breeds
Everything about this litter box screams being a simple, effective option.
There’s nothing too flashy about this product’s design, but it gets the job done with ease.
I just wish the design was a little less boring. But this issue shouldn’t stop anyone from seriously considering the litter box if it needs your other requirements.
7. Sfozstra Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- Large Top entryway for easy entry and exit, ample room inside for cats...
- Rounded shape edges and included litter scoop for convenient cleaning,...
- This kitty litter box is the perfect way to prevent litter scatter and...
Sfozstra’s option provides ample space for your cat’s bathroom activities.
Your favorite cat shouldn’t have issues turning around, digging, or squatting within this option.
Owners will love it too, with its odor-fighting abilities, easy cleaning process, and two access doors.
- Two access doors: top entry and front
- A comfortable amount of room inside the litter box
- Equipped with an included scoop and rounded design for easy cleaning
- Proven to be effective at containing spraying and tracking
- Keeps odor inside it without issue
- Some customers complained about the included scoop being a bit flimsy.
The spacious interior area makes this option a favorite among cats. It gives them a real sense of privacy and when taking those daily bathroom trips.
But some cat owners did express issues with one aspect of this litter box. The included scoop was a little flimsy, which made it a little less practical than expected.
8. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
Owners will benefit from its durable recycled plastic design, non-slip lid, and built-in handles for easy moving.
More importantly, each of these features come at an affordable price.
- Made from high-quality BPA-free recycled plastic
- Spacious interior for superb comfort quality
- Non-slip lid surface
- Affordable price
- Built-in handles for easy maneuvering
- Prone to tipping with larger cats
Owners aren’t the only ones to benefit from having this litter box in their lives.
Your cat will enjoy how much space lies within this product’s interior, creating a comfortable bathroom experience.
But larger breed owners could encounter issues with the litter box tipping over.
If you have a cat over 12 pounds, you might be better off going with another top entry litter box.
9. Kitangle Modern Top Entry Litter Box
- High Sided Design with Versatile Color Palette
- Seamless Interior with No Connecting Parts for Better Odor Control
- Helps with Litter Tracking
If you have a bigger cat, Kitangle’s Top Entry Cat Litter Box would be a smart buying choice.
This option features a 13.5-inch top entry that shouldn’t have trouble fitting even some of the largest cats.
Its rugged, durable construction will ensure the box holds up well while your cat’s in there, as well.
- Appealing modern corner edge design
- 13.5-inch top entry capable of fitting larger breeds
- Easy to remove the lid
- Three color options: Black, Gray, and White
- Rugged, durable construction
- Relatively new brand on Amazon, so no reviews
You have to love the elegant corner edge design offered by this product.
It’ll make sure the product meshes into any room and can provide its high-quality performance. As you might expect, the main flaw this product does have is its costly price tag.
You’ll put a rather large dent into your bank account when bringing this top entry litter box into a home.
That coupled with the lack of reviews on Amazon make it a risk…but one that could pay off for small spaces.
10. MUYEE Foldable Top Entry Litter Box
- ✿ ONE-WAY ACCESS: The ingenious design of front entry&top exit, cats...
- ✿ EASY-CLEANING DRAWER DESIGN: The pull-out drawer design of the...
- ✿MESS FREE&ODOR FREE: The enclosed kitty litter box is with 10mm...
Our final option, Muyee Foldable Top Entry Litter Box, offers an appealing unique foldable design.
It gives the product a lot more portability and storability than other options available.
You can also benefit from its Eco-friendly materials, two-door construction, and pull-out bottom basin.
- Perfect for any cat up to 10 pounds
- Two-door design
- Made with Eco-friendly materials
- Pull-out bottom basin to prevent messes
- A self-closing front door keeps odors within the box
- The bottom pan could benefit from being deeper
Any cat owner with a feline under 10 pounds should already have this option in their buying carts.
It’s a perfect option for a smaller cat who gets a little wild in their litter boxes.
However, there were a couple of concerns about the bottom basin being less deep than expected.
It’s not a huge deal, but it does limit the amount of litter that can be put into by a significant margin.
Top Entry Litter Box Pros and Cons
The best place to start is outlining a top-entry litter box’s pros and cons.
It’ll provide a better idea of what these products bring and don’t bring into a cat owner’s life.
- Your cat gets a little more privacy when doing bathroom activities
- Keeps litter tracking to a minimum
- It helps prevent litter odors from wafting outside their box and around your home
- It takes up a little less space than most open cat litter boxes
- Makes it difficult for other pets and children to access the box’s contents
- Guests won’t have to see your cat’s bathroom waste when visiting
- Top-entry litter boxes only offer a cat-only escape route. It makes them feel anxious, as cats are the most vulnerable when taking a bathroom visit.
- Odor remains within the litter box, which could cause picky cats to stray from using it.
- Elderly cats might find it difficult to jump onto a top-entry litter box.
- Cat litter will take a longer time to dry because there is less air circulation coming into the box.
- Your cat might end up feeling a bit cramped
How Do Top Entry Litter Boxes Work?
Top-entry litter boxes work by employing the simple concept of enclosing your cat’s litter.
As a result, these boxes ensure your favorite feline can’t kick litter out of them and onto the floor. You can attribute this outstanding benefit to their enclosed four-sided design.
But what some cat owners might not realize is an ultra-convenient second advantage comes from their grate-like shelf.
For instance, cats will need to climb out of these boxes and onto the grate when they’re done using the bathroom.
It’ll result in the dust and litter that’s stuck to their paws returning into the litter box. Particles will no longer find themselves spread all over your home.
Cat owners will see even better results when combining these boxes with non-dust producing cat litters.
Overall, these litter boxes are an effective way to keep a litter box’s contents inside the box rather than all over your home.
It’s a simple, cheap solution to a typical cat owner problem.
Are Top Entry Litter Boxes Bad for Cats?
I can only see top entry litter boxes being bad for older cats or ones with certain disabilities.
Otherwise, there’s no reason to believe their inclusion in your home will bring any adverse side effects to a cat’s life.
Some cats might even prefer them over open options because of the extra privacy.
After all, these animals love their solitude and a top entry litter box gives them a safe space to let their guard down.
You can buy top entry litter boxes at any place that sells cat-related or pet-related products.
Most pet stores will have a higher price than you’d see online. It’s just the nature of how the pet product marketplace works at the present moment.
How to Get a Cat to Use a Top Entry Litter Box
Your cat might be a little suspicious of this litter box at first. Here are a few tips on how to get your cat to use this new, exciting top entry litter box:
- Put the litter box in the same place as your old one. It’ll make it easier for them to understand what this new contraption’s purpose is in their lives.
- Show then their new litter box. Give them some time to sniff and inspect it on their own time. It’s never a good idea to force it because this action could scare them into not using it.
- Don’t switch litters when setting up the new box. It’ll help give the box a sense of familiarity for them.
- Take the box’s lid off until they grasp how to use a box with larger sides. This action should help them get more comfortable with using it.
- Remove your cat’s old litter box completely. Giving them a second box to choose from could make them avoid the new one.
What to Look for in a Top Entry Cat Litter Box
If you’ve decided a top entry cat litter is a good fit, you’ll need to know how to find a suitable one.
I’m going to cover several crucial factors that’ll break down what makes up a high-quality top entry litter box for older cats.
A top entry litter box’s size is one of its most essential qualities.
You’re going to want a model that doesn’t make your cat feel cramped and uncomfortable when using it.
I’d recommend getting one of the largest options, which will give them plenty of space for their bathroom activities.
You want it to provide them with enough room to kick, dig, turn around, and squat.
As a result, pet owners should measure their cat from nose to tail.
You’ll then need to find a top entry litter box capable of meeting or exceeding those measurements.
Not surprisingly, top entry options will be taller than your traditional litter boxes.
Some of them will be considerably higher than others, though, which makes height a vital consideration during your search.
Owners who have smaller, older, or disabled cats will need to determine whether they can jump high enough for each option.
Meanwhile, cats with spraying or kicking litter issues would benefit from a taller top entry litter box.
The higher sides of these models will help hinder them from doing any damage outside of it.
It’ll keep the litter and waste where it belongs, which is inside the box.
As with any product, durability plays a massive role in the decision-making process.
Your chosen top entry litter box needs to consist of high-quality materials that can withstand regular usage.
I’d suggest looking at options made from heavy-duty BPA-free plastic.
These litter boxes usually hold up well and don’t have any issues meeting a cat owner’s expectations.
Reading other peoples’ reviews of these products will help determine what options are durable, as well.
Nothing makes customers angrier than a product being broken or unusable sooner than expected.
Ease of Cleaning
A high-quality top entry litter box will make cleaning it an easy, hassle-free process.
Some options will even be compatible with liners that remove all the difficulty of dumping out a litter box’s contents.
In these cases, everything gets collected inside the liner, and owners will just need to dump it. But other top entry litter boxes will basically be open-top models with a unique lid.
Cat owners should choose the one that makes cleaning it easiest for them.
In my situation, this action would mean going with a top entry litter box, which has liner compatibility.
Certain top entry litter boxes can improve the look of a room. It’s a good idea to consider what design or style would fit best into where you intend on placing it.
It’s worth noting that some of these litter boxes have a rather cute design, as well. It doesn’t need to be an eyesore like you’d expect with an open-top option.
The color scheme is another notable consideration concerning a litter box’s style.
For instance, I’m always going to prefer options with darker tones as they mesh better inside my home’s interior.
Our final recommendation would have to be buying PetSafe’s Self Cleaning Top Entry Cat Litter Box.
Its price tag might be expensive, but it makes your life much easier as a cat owner.
If you have any more questions about these top entry litter boxes, let me know in our comment section.
Olfa knows how to get things done and has a keen business sense that others admire. She’s always on the go, coming up with new ideas! Her ability to anticipate the needs of her readers and deliver information that they want is what makes CatVills such a success. She loves cuddling her cat Picaciu. He is her inspiration.
Last update on 2024-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API