Looking for the best round litter boxes for your kitty?
While it’s a little trickier than choosing a plain old rectangle box, you still have a few great options!
Below, we’ll take a look at a few that I’ve used over the last two decades of cat ownership or seen in action at friend’s houses.
Let’s get started, shall we?
You may also like: Best Cat Litter for Kittens: Top 10 Brands (with Reviews)
Best Round Litter Boxes For Your Kitty
As a long-time cat owner (22 years and counting), I’ve used pretty much every kitty product under the sun by this point.
While I currently have a plain old rectangle box for my three feline friends, I’ve also used plenty of oval and round cat litter pans .
Plus, most of my friends are cat-lovers, too, so if I haven’t used it, I’ve seen it in use up close (well, not too close, it is a litter box, after all).
I feel pretty confident in recommending these below! Use the table for a quick peek at them, then read on for more details.
1. Petmate Booda Dome Litter Box
The Petmate Booda Dome earn the #1 spot on my list for good reason. It’s affordable, practical, and highly rated among users.
Let’s look at the features and pros, then the cons.
Features & Pros
- The dome lid encloses your kitty on all sides, giving them the utmost privacy
- Grooved steps help knock litter of kitty’s feet as he exits the box.
- Since the dome is fully enclosed, it does a good joy of container odors.
- A charcoal filter takes that odor-eliminating to the next level, absorbing stinky aromas before the leave the box.
- Large enough for most breeds.
- Super affordable
- While large enough for most cats, it can be a very tight fit for a Maine Coon.
- Sometimes the lid doesn’t quite sit right on the base, and it doesn’t clip or anything.
- The seams can leak if you have a high-peeing cat.
The biggest issue with the Booda Dome is how the lid attaches to the base. Or rather, how it doesn’t.
It basically just sits there, which means it can easily get knocked off.
Plus, for those with high-spraying kitties, urine can rather easily leak out through those seams.
However, if your cat doesn’t spray high and you can set it up somewhere that it won’t get knocked around, it’s really a great choice.
- DOME LITTER BOX: This cat litter box with dome lid encloses cats on all sides, ensuring privacy while keeping floors litter-free. The grooved clean-step entrance gently wipes cats' paws as they exit.
- CONTAIN ODORS: This kitty litter pan features a charcoal filter for the dome that absorbs odors so it can be placed in any room of your home. Perfect for multicat homes & larger cat breeds. 21" x 21".
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products. From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes & litter, we've got you & your pet covered.
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
2. Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
Litter Genie is best known for making a litter disposal can (kind of like their Diaper Genie for the nursery).
Did you know, though, that they also make one of the best round litter boxes?
Features & Pros
- Super affordable
- Made with flexible plastic, so it fits pretty much anywhere.
- Includes handles (integrated into the base) to make carrying it easier.
- High walls help keep litter contained, even for cats who spray high.
- No lid means no privacy for kitties.
- A few complaints that the plastic cracked within months
- Other complaints that litter sticks, making it hard to clean
I haven’t personally used this one, but a friend travels with her cat a lot and said it’s great to take on the go.
She fills it with litter at their destination, then just empties it when they leave.
Then, she just puts it in a garbage bag (to contain odors) in the back of her trunk.
As an “everyday use” round cat litter pan for home, though, it’s not my favorite.
That’s not to say it isn’t a good choice, especially if you’re on a budget and have a small home.
Just that I like some of the others on this list a bit more.
- Made of flexible plastic, allowing it to fit in small spaces
- Integrated handles easily come together to facilitate transport and easier emptying of soiled litter
- High walls prevent litter from scattering while providing privacy for your cat
3. Good Pet Stuff Plant Hidden Litter Box
This one by Good Pet Stuff is SO neat, especially if you just plain don’t want your litter box to stand out like a sore thumb.
Features & Pros
- Looks just like a real clay pot, but it’s made of durable plastic.
- Large-capacity box fits cats of all sizes.
- It’s actually made for large cats or families with more than one feline friend.
- The filtered vent system helps control odors.
- Comes with the fake plant in the picture.
- A bit bulky and tall overall, so not a real great space-saver litter box
- Can be a pain to clean, since you have to take the plant top off.
This one has crazy good ratings on Amazon. Over 4,000 people gave it a combined 4.5 star rating.
It’s a little pricier than the first two, but still quite reasonable for what you get.
That said, a few customers complained about what a hassle it is to clean, since you have to take that plant off every time.
Fortunately, it’s a fake plant (can you imagine if it were real?), so at least you don’t have to worry about killing the poor thing!
I think this is a super neat round litter box.
A bit too big for my home, but that’s what makes it perfect for Maine Coons & other large breeds.
- Large-capacity cat litter box looks like a real clay pot. The plants and the parts are nested between the top and bottom section of the litter box.
- Made of durable polypropylene
- Filtered vented system works to control dust and odor
- Designed for large cats and multi-cat households
- Measures 42 inches high with included plant; 1-year limited warranty
4. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
Okay, so this one is more of an oval than a circle, but hey, ovals are round, right?
The IRIS Top Entry Box is another highly rated and beloved round cat litter pan with a very fair price tag.
Features & Pros
- One of the best boxes for high-spraying cats, period.
- Top entryway keeps dogs from digging around in the box.
- Perforation on the lid helps knock litter of kitty’s feet.
- Easy to scoop, just remove the lid (definitely better than bending over in front of front-entry box)
- 9.25″ diameter at the top
- Comes in 4 colors
- Entry is a bit too snug for larger cat breeds.
- Some cats just won’t use it, especially if they’re used to front-entry boxes.
- Not ideal for older cats with mobility issues.
While I wouldn’t recommend this one for senior cats or large breeds, it’s a good choice for smaller breeds.
Mostly, I recommend it for high-spraying cats. It’s one of the few that didn’t leak all over when my friend’s male used it.
Since some kitties are reluctant to use a top-entry box, you may want to keep your backup option at first.
The price is low enough that it’s worth taking a chance on, though.
- The perfect way to prevent litter scatter and contain spraying
- Large Top entryway for easy entry and exit; Keeps Fidos nose out of the cats business
- Perforated lid to help remove litter particles from the cat’s paws
- Rounded shape and included litter scoop makes cleaning easy.
- Outer Dimensions: 20.50"L x 14.75"W x 14.38"H
- Inside Dimensions: (widest point) 19.12"L x 13.75"W x 14.25"H (bottom narrowest point) 17.0"L x 11.5"W
- Top opening: 9.25" diameter
5. iPettie NOVA Cat Litter Box
This is the only one I’ve only seen up close once, but I’m seriously considering buying it.
The price tag is a bit hefty, but it’s definitely the most stylish round litter box on Amazon!
Features & Pros
- Totally enclosed box for cats who love their privacy.
- Unique style and modern design looks great in your home.
- Fully enclosed to prevent litter overflow.
- Curved wall keeps litter from building up in corners (not a single straight wall on the whole thing).
- Top lid rolls open for easy scooping.
- Carbon filter prevents odors from escaping (it comes with 2 extras, too).
- Comes in three colors- white, pink and blue.
- It’s rather pricey for something that’s not an automatic litter box.
- Only fits small to medium cats.
- Some cats don’t like to go through the included flap
First, the biggest complaints are about the size, so it’s important to note that this is NOT good for larger cats.
I don’t just mean “Maine Coon” large, but even the larger end of the average domestic shorthair breed.
Basically, only get it if you have a petite kitty.
Beyond that, though, the only other complaint came from customers who said their cats hated the flap.
If your kitty doesn’t have that issue (or you don’t mind just cutting it off), this is a really good choice for small spaces.
- Private planet: The iPettie Nova litter box offers the ultimate privacy that most cats prefer when doing their business. The enclosed and stylish litter box will become a part of your home decor.
- Modern sphere design: the fully enclosed litter box provides a high wall that will prevent litter overflow if your cat enjoys digging and playing with litter. The curved wall also prevents litter buildup in the corner.
- Easy to scoop: the roll-top lid with wide opening provides quick and easy access for scooping. The sphere box with no straight wall is designed to effortlessly scoop away any litters.
- Trapped odors: equipped with a built-in carbon Filter that effectively helps with trapping unpleasant odor, leaving you a nice and fresh area. 2 additional replacement filters included in the package.
- Easy to clean: Comes with a storage tray, cat litter mat, and a pack of replacement waste bag liners. The rounded hood can be lifted up for thorough cleaning.
The Booda Dome isn’t just first on my list out of randomness, it’s actually my top choice.
It’s affordable, well-rated, and easy to maintain.
However, it’s not ideal for giant breed cats. In that case, I’d go with the hidden litter box with the plant.
That said, all of these are good options. It just depends on your preference.
One last note. If you like to use liners, you’re going to have trouble finding round litter box liners.
I really tried to find you some to recommend, but came up with zilch. If you do happen to know of a brand, share in the comments for everyone else.
So, which of our picks for the best round litter boxes would you buy? Share below!
Last update on 2020-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API