Looking for the best round litter boxes for your kitty?
While it’s a little trickier than choosing a plain old rectangle box, you still have a few great options!
Below, we’ll take a look at a few that we’ve used over the last two decades of cat ownership or seen in action at friend’s houses.
Let’s get started, shall we?
Top Pick At A Glance
- Best Overall: Petmate Booda Cat Litter Box
- Best Plastic Made: Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
- Best Hidden: Good Pet Stuff Cat Litter Box
- Best Top Entry: IRIS USA Cat Litter Box
- Best With Cat Litter Scoop: iPettie Nova Cat Litter Box
Best Round Litter Boxes For Your Kitty
As long-time cat owners (22 years and counting), we’ve used pretty much every kitty product under the sun by this point.
While we currently have a plain old rectangle box for our three feline friends, we’ve also used plenty of oval and round cat litter pans.
Plus, most of our friends are cat lovers, too, so if we haven’t used it, we’ve seen it in use up close (well, not too close; it is a litter box, after all).
We feel pretty confident in recommending the best round litter boxes below!
#1 Petmate Booda Cat Litter Box
- KEEP LITTER IN THE BOX, NOT ON THE FLOOR: Unique, patented, clean step...
- MINIMIZE ODOR: A charcoal filter minimizes unwanted odors to keep your...
- MADE WITH RECYCLED MATERIALS: Petmate is not just a friend of furry...
The Petmate Booda Dome earns the #1 spot on my list for good reason. It’s affordable, practical, and highly rated among users.
Let’s look at the features and pros, then the cons.
Features and benefits
- The dome lid encloses your kitty on all sides, giving them the utmost privacy
- Grooved steps help knock litter off the kitty’s feet as he exits the box.
- Since the dome is fully enclosed, it does a good job of absorbing container odors.
- A charcoal filter takes that odor-eliminating to the next level, absorbing stinky aromas before they leave the box.
- Large enough for most breeds.
- Super affordable
- While large enough for most cats, it can be a very tight fit for a Maine Coon.
- Sometimes the lid doesn’t quite sit right on the base, and it doesn’t clip or anything.
- The seams can leak if you have a high-peeing cat.
The biggest issue with the Booda Dome is how the lid attaches to the base. Or rather, how it doesn’t.
It basically just sits there, which means it can easily get knocked off.
Plus, for those with high-spraying kitties, urine can rather easily leak out through those seams.
However, if your cat doesn’t spray high and you can set it up somewhere that it won’t get knocked around, it’s really a great choice.
#2 Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
- INNOVATIVE LITTER BOX: Litter Genie presents a cat litter box...
- DESIGNED WITH HIGH WALLS: The high-sided walls are extra-tall (16”)...
- FLEXIBLE & COMPACT SIZE: The soft, flexible litter box adapts and...
Litter Genie is best known for making a litter disposal can (kind of like their Diaper Genie for the nursery).
Did you know, though, that they also make one of the best round litter boxes?
Features & benefits
- Super affordable
- Made with flexible plastic, so it fits pretty much anywhere.
- Includes handles (integrated into the base) to make carrying it easier.
- High walls help keep litter contained, even for cats who spray high.
- No lid means no privacy for kitties.
- A few complaints that the plastic cracked within months
- Other complaints that litter sticks, making it hard to clean
I haven’t personally used this one, but a friend travels with her cat a lot and said it’s great to take on the go.
She fills it with litter at their destination, then just empties it when they leave. Then, she just puts it in a garbage bag (to contain odors) in the back of her trunk.
As an “everyday use” round cat litter pan for home, though, it’s not my favorite.
That’s not to say it isn’t a good choice, especially if you’re on a budget and have a small home.
Just that I like some of the others on this list a bit more.
#3 Good Pet Stuff Cat Litter Box
- Original Style & Design | The Original Hidden Litter Box from Good Pet...
- Odor Control | This litter box features a vented system with filter to...
- Easy to Clean & Discreet | Keep your home clean and tidy with our...
This one by Good Pet Stuff is SO neat, especially if you just plain don’t want your litter box to stand out like a sore thumb.
Features and Benefits
- Looks just like a real clay pot, but it’s made of durable plastic.
- Large-capacity box fits cats of all sizes.
- It’s actually made for large cats or families with more than one feline friend.
- The filtered vent system helps control odors.
- Comes with the fake plant in the picture.
- A bit bulky and tall overall, so not a real great space-saver litter box
- Can be a pain to clean, since you have to take the plant top off.
This one has crazy good ratings on Amazon. Over 4,000 people gave it a combined 4.5 star rating.
It’s a little pricier than the first two, but still quite reasonable for what you get.
That said, a few customers complained about what a hassle it is to clean since you have to take that plant off every time.
Fortunately, it’s a fake plant (can you imagine if it were real?), so at least you don’t have to worry about killing the poor thing!
#4 IRIS USA Cat Litter Box
- The perfect way to prevent litter scatter and contain spraying
- Large top entryway for easy entry and exit
- Small holes on the lid to help remove litter particles from the...
Okay, so this one is more of an oval than a circle, but hey, ovals are round, right?
The IRIS Top Entry Box is another highly rated and beloved round cat litter pan with a very fair price tag.
Features & benefits
- One of the best boxes for high-spraying cats, period.
- Top entryway keeps dogs from digging around in the box.
- Perforation on the lid helps knock litter of kitty’s feet.
- Easy to scoop, just remove the lid (definitely better than bending over in front of front-entry box)
- 9.25″ diameter at the top
- Comes in 4 colors
- Entry is a bit too snug for larger cat breeds.
- Some cats just won’t use it, especially if they’re used to front-entry boxes.
- Not ideal for older cats with mobility issues.
Mostly, I recommend it for high-spraying cats. It’s one of the few that didn’t leak all over when my friend’s male used it.
Since some kitties are reluctant to use a top-entry box, you may want to keep your backup option at first.
The price is low enough that it’s worth taking a chance on, though.
#5 iPettie Nova Cat Litter Box
- Private planet: The iPettie Nova litter box offers the ultimate...
- Modern sphere design: the fully enclosed litter box provides a high...
- Easy to scoop: the roll-top lid with wide opening provides quick and...
This is the only one I’ve only seen up close once, but I’m seriously considering buying it.
The price tag is a bit hefty, but it’s definitely the most stylish round litter box on Amazon!
Features & benefits
- Totally enclosed box for cats who love their privacy.
- Unique style and modern design looks great in your home.
- Fully enclosed to prevent litter overflow.
- Curved wall keeps litter from building up in corners (not a single straight wall on the whole thing).
- Top lid rolls open for easy scooping.
- Carbon filter prevents odors from escaping (it comes with 2 extras, too).
- Comes in three colors- white, pink and blue.
- It’s rather pricey for something that’s not an automatic litter box.
- Only fits small to medium cats.
- Some cats don’t like to go through the included flap
First, the biggest complaints are about the size, so it’s important to note that this is NOT good for larger cats.
I don’t just mean “Maine Coon” large, but even the larger end of the average domestic shorthair breed.
Basically, only get it if you have a petite kitty. Beyond that, though, the only other complaint came from customers who said their cats hated the flap.
If your kitty doesn’t have that issue (or you don’t mind just cutting it off), this is a really good choice for small spaces.
Things To Consider Before Buying
By considering these factors, you can confidently choose the best round litter boxes that provide comfort, convenience, and cleanliness for both you and your beloved feline companion.
Here are a few important factors to consider when choosing a round cat litter box:
- Size and Space: Ensure the round litter box is spacious enough for your cat to move comfortably. Cats come in various sizes, so choose a box that accommodates your feline friend’s size without making them feel cramped.
- Materials and Durability: Opt for a litter box made from durable and easy-to-clean materials. High-quality plastic or sturdy resin can withstand scratching and moisture, ensuring the box lasts over time.
- Entry and Exit: Look for a litter box with a low entry front or a cutout side to provide easy access for cats of all ages, including kittens and senior cats. This design encourages stress-free entries and exits.
- Odor Control: Some round litter boxes come with built-in odor control features, like carbon filters or enclosed designs. These help reduce unpleasant odors and keep your living space smelling fresh.
- Litter Containment: Consider a litter box with high sides or a hood to prevent litter from being kicked out. This containment helps keep your floors clean and minimizes tracking.
- Ease of Cleaning: Choose a round litter box with smooth surfaces and minimal seams. This makes cleaning and scooping waste easier, promoting a hygienic environment for your cat.
- Design and Aesthetics: Round litter boxes come in various designs, colors, and patterns. Pick one that complements your home decor while offering functionality and comfort for your cat.
- Non-Slip Bottom: To prevent sliding and shifting, select a round litter box with a non-slip bottom. This feature ensures stability and prevents accidents, especially during enthusiastic digging.
- Accessibility: If you have multiple cats, consider a litter box with enough space for shared use. Cats appreciate privacy, so having multiple round boxes can prevent territorial disputes.
- Budget: Best round litter boxes come in a range of prices. Balance your budget with the features you desire, ensuring you invest in a quality option that meets your cat’s needs.
We recommend PetMate Booda as a top pick when compared to the other best round litter boxes.
It’s affordable, well-rated, and easy to maintain. However, it’s not ideal for giant breed cats. In that case, I’d go with the hidden litter box with the plant.
That said, all of these are good options. It just depends on your preference.
One last note. If you like to use liners, you’re going to have trouble finding round litter box liners.
I really tried to find you some to recommend, but came up with zilch. If you do happen to know of a brand, share it in the comments for everyone else.
So, which of our picks for the best round litter boxes would you buy? Share below!
Last update on 2023-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API