Finding space saver cat trees that don’t take up half your living room is tricky business.
Read on for my tips on how to choose a compact tree, then check out my top recommendations!
It’s easy enough to find small cat scratching posts and cozy little beds, but trees seem to be hulking masses of carpet and sisal, don’t they?
We want to give our cats a fun place to play, climb and relax, but at the same time we actually want to be able to walk through our living room!
As someone with a relatively small house and very little extra room for giant structures, I know the feeling.
Fortunately, a space saver cat tree isn’t as elusive as it seems!
RELATED: Top 5 Best Cat Trees for Older Cats (with Reviews)
How to Choose a Space Saver Cat Tree
First things first, let’s talk about what to consider before you start shopping for a space saver cat tree.
#1 Measure the space
Decide where you really want to put the tree and break out the measuring tape. Make sure you measure the width as well as the height.
Jot down the measurements, then subtract an inch or two to be on the safe side. Seriously, unless you’re a master carpenter who measures things for a living, don’t skip that last step.
Not cat-related, but just last month I measured my son’s entire room before buying him an L-shaped desk.
I didn’t take the heater into account and ended up needing to rearrange half his furniture to make it fit! So do yourself a favor and err on the side of caution!
#2 Measure a couple of alternate spaces
If you read my post on how to get your cat to use a tree, you know that sometimes you’re first choice for placement doesn’t mesh with your cat.
If feasible, you’ll want to scope out a few alternate spaces and measure those, too.
Not feasible? Don’t worry too much about it. It’s just a “nice to keep in mind” tip and not essential.
#3 Make a list of the must-have features
View this post on Instagram
What are you singing about on this lovely Sunday morning? . . . . repost from @omgdeedee Gus is clearly excited to be closer to his home planet due to our new floor to ceiling cat tree from @contempocat The thing I like the best about the Elevation II is the approximately 5 inch footprint of it, which means it can fit just about anywhere. It's 100% wood so we customized it with some grey paint.
Cat trees come in all shapes, sizes, and with all sorts of bells & whistles. If you can dream it up, someone has stuck it on a cat tree!
I’ve seen trees with multiple condos, hammocks, built-in feeders, and even interactive toys!
That’s all find and dandy if you have oodles of extra room, but for a space saver cat tree, you’ll want to pare that list down to the essentials.
You May Also Like
My personal wish list includes: multiple levels for multiple cats, one comfy cat cave, and scratching surfaces on the ground level.
#4 Let go of the features you don’t really need
Now it’s time to think about the features you don’t really need.
Unless you’re looking for Maine Coon or Bengal cat trees, you don’t really need a ginormous cat cave, for example.
If you have a senior cat who doesn’t really like to climb much, you can drop a few levels off your wish list, too.
Think about your cat’s personalities and what they like. My current cat tree has a little round hanging bed that my cats have never so much as looked at.
#5 Visualize it
I don’t mean that in the “visualize your reality” way, I mean literally visualize it.
Before you buy a 6-foot condo for your living room, have someone (preferably a 6-foot-tall someone) stand where you plan to put it.
Are they blocking anything? Can you still see the TV? Get around them? Can they reach anything breakable?
Think about it: if they can reach your antique vase, your cats will be able to reach it as well once you put the tree there!
If I had thought to do this step before I bought my cat tree, I wouldn’t have needed to rearrange my entire top book shelf!
Now that we know what to look for in a space saver cat tree, let’s check out a few of my top choices.
Top 5 Best Space Saver Cat Trees
Affiliate links included below. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Best Space Saver Cat Tree with the Features of a Larger Tower
I’m a big fan of SONGMICS cat trees, but most of my favorites are hulk-like trees.
However, they have one that offers all their top features without taking up your entire living room.
The Multi-Level Cat Tree with Feeder Bowl has a base that’s as wide as their larger ones, but saves a lot of space when it comes to height.
Basically, it won’t block your view of the TV, your favorite picture, or other things higher up on the wall.
- 3 levels total, including the ground floor
- 2 cat caves
- 1 cozy perch
- 3 sisal scratching posts
- Detachable feeding bowl
I love that you get all the features of their larger trees (including a cave big enough for Bengals) without the towering height.
- EXCLUSIVE LUXURY FOR CATS: Your feline friends need a cozy home of their own to play, take a nap or jump around; this cat house is sure to be their dream-come-true FELINE-
- FELINE-FRIENDLY SOFTNESS: Top perch with thick padding at the bottom and rim makes a perfect napping lounge; ultra-soft plush gives the smoothest touch that your kitten will never get enough of
- REMOVABLE CAT BOWL INCLUDED: Specially added pet bowl allows cats to enjoy their meal while staying at their favorite spot, making this cat furniture a truly sweet home for them
- PLAYHOUSE FOR MORE CATS: Compact structure with 2 roomy condos lets your cats coexist peacefully while taking up little space; thickened base board stays stable even when your overactive cats jump around; safety strap is included to prevent toppling hazard
- NOT SATISFIED YET? FEANDREA provides you with professional customer service both before and after your purchase; don’t wait any longer, add this to your home today!
2. Most Attractive Space-Saving Cat Tree
The Curvynest cat tree is quite possibly the most gorgeous space-saving tree out there. It looks like a piece of art, don’t you think?
- It comes in two sizes: small and large. Even the large is a space-saver with a 25″ x 18.5″ base.
- Both sizes accommodate multiple cats.
- If you don’t love the orange, it also comes in a lime green color as well as a natural wood color.
- If you order through the link here, it comes with free shipping.
3. Top Space-Saver Tree that Doubles as Storage
If you need your cat tree to do double duty, check out this CatsPlay Modern Tree!
The shelf-like structure has space for both your cat and storage. Use the top and bottom 2 levels for your kitty, then add some of your favorite books to the 3rd level!
Or give kitty the first three levels and take the rest for yourself.
I wouldn’t recommend putting anything to valuable or breakable on the tree, though. While it’s sturdy enough for books, your cat can still knock stuff over as he climbs.
- Six levels for either your cat or your decor.
- Sisal scratching surface on the first level
- Carpeting on two of the levels for lounging
- A roomy cat cave on the second level
- Easy to assemble with just a Phillip’s head screwdriver
Modern Cat Tree — $289.95
4. Best Modular Cat Tree
A modular cat tree is a smart space-saver because you make the tree work with the space, rather than trying to make space to work with the tree.
The Tetris-like blocks can be switched around into endless combinations.
- Comes with 5 modern, stylish blocks
- Extremely durable & sturdy: it can hold up to 300 pounds!
- Easy assembly with 5 clips includes to secure blocks together
- They even toss in a few bags of natural catnip!
Grab one set or buy a few and build the ultimate cat tree that weaves around your open space.
Modular Cat Tree – City San Francisco — $245.99
5. Tall & Slim Space Saver Cat Tree
If you think you’re stuck with short, squat little trees, think again!
This Hollywood Floor to Ceiling Cat Tree is exactly what it sounds like: a tree that runs from your floor all the way up to your ceiling, yet takes up virtually no floor space.
- The entire thing is modular, meaning you design it to fit the space you have, alternating the levels however you want.
- It’s available in multiple sizes and colors, too!
- Buy the pole separately or get it from them for the same price you’d pay at IKEA.
- The platforms are handcrafted in the USA using sustainable materials.
I am seriously in love with this tree. I have a few spots in my house where I’m lacking on floor space but have plenty of vertical room.
Hollywood Floor to Ceiling Cat Tower
While these are my personal top 5 choices for space saver cat trees, there are many others out there that may fit your needs.
You can even skip the cat tree entirely and go with alternatives like book shelves!
If you have a super small space that really just doesn’t work with even something like the floor to ceiling tower, you can always go the DIY route.
I’ve seen some cool trees made out of things like PVC pipes. Check out this video for one example:
Do you know of any other great space saver cat trees? Share below!
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Last update on 2021-04-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API