If you’re looking for some clever calico cat names, you’re going to adore the ideas on this list!
I’ve got 200 names that are perfectly suited for your tricolored kitty.
Some of the names are inspired by their unique coloring, while others come from famous cats throughout history.
Let’s get started, shall we?
Related: Top Egyptian Cat Names
Clever Calico Cat Names
Before we get into these calico cat names, I think it’s important to remind you that “calico” is not a breed. Instead, it refers to their tricolor fur pattern.
As you read through the list, you may find yourself wondering why it’s missing male calico cat names.
That’s because there are very, very, very few male calicos! In fact, only 1 in 3,000 is born male. The pattern only appears in males with two X and one Y chromosomes, making it a rare genetic mutation.
Don’t worry, while most of these ideas are geared towards females, I’m including some great unisex names, so if you do have a rare male calico cat, you’ll find something special for him here, too!
Let’s kick this list off with a quick peek at my top ten favorite calico kitty names, shall we?
40 Food names for Calico Cats
If you love coming up with food names for cats, you’ll adore these ideas below! I’ve also included some adorable ideas inspired by tasty beverages, too!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thanks!
- Affogato (while the word means “drowned” in Italian, it’s also the name of an amazing dessert in which vanilla gelato is “drowned” by a shot of espresso)
- Caramello (does anyone remember these yummy candy bars?)
- Reese (after Reese’s Cups or, perhaps more appropriately, Reese’s Pieces).
- Annato (most natural orange food colorings come from this)
- Achiote (the tree that Annato comes from)
- Orange Pekoe (inspired by the tea)
- Cassia (inspired by the scientific name for Cinnamon)
- Chanterelle (a type of mushroom known for its earthy color)
- Kamora (a chocolate liquer)
- Jim Beam
Out of these food names for Calico cats, I’d personally go with Tiramisu or Macchiato, although Affogato is a rather unique name!
30 Names Inspired by the Calico’s Coloring
Your Calico cat’s fur is a great source of naming inspiration! With rich butterscotch, ginger, orange, and chocolate shades, there are just so many great ways you can go here.
- Aurora (another word for dawn)
- Harvest (great name for a Calico born in the fall!)
- Arizona (the colors remind me of the Grand Canyon)
- Zhangye (check out pictures of the striped mountain in China and you’ll see why!
- Iris (look up “bearded iris” and you’ll see why)
- Portokall (orange in Albanian)
- Jesen (autumn in Bosnian)
- Syksy (means “autumn” in Finnish)
- Vuli (Swahili for “autumn”)
- Amber Kiss
- Pansy (some, like the Angel Amber Kiss, have very calico-like colors)
- Sikoki (from sikokianum)
- Hibiscus (like the triopical Hibiscus)
- Velutina (after the Cattleya velutina)
- Carolina (for the Carolina Allspice)
While Autumn is the obvious choice, especially for cats adopted near Halloween, given the Calico cats typically have colors associated with fall leaves, I really love Aurora or Arizona.
10 Cute Calico Cat Names that Mean “Triple” or “Three”
Since Callie cats are tricolored, I thought it would be fun to include some names inspired by the word “three” or “triple.” Check them out!
- Trojini (“triple” in Slovenian)
- Telo (“triple” in Malagasy)
- Kolme (Finnish for “three”)
- Tiga (means “three” in both Malay and Indonesian)
- Meteta (“triple” in Yoruba)
Of these names, I’m loving Kolme or Trojini the most. My son is Finnish on his father’s side, so I know he’d love that name, too.
31 Egyptian Names for Calico Cats
As you know, cats were worshiped in Ancient Egypt, and the Calico cat is not only said to have originated from there, but was also among the most revered of the kitty kingdom.
Honor their heritage with these great Egyptian names for Calico cats!
Here, Bastet is the obvious choice, since it’s the name of the catlike goddess. However, I’ve never been one to go with the obvious choice. I really love either Akila or Bahiti!
30 Japanese Calico Cat Names
If you’ve ever seen those Lucky Cat statues (also called “money cats”) in Japanese windows, you know that the Calico is considered good luck in Japan.
Why not draw from that for inspiration with these Japanese Calico cat names for your new kitten? After all, you must have the good fortune to have such a wonderful feline friend come into your life, right?
I lived in Japan for two years, so I love pretty much all of these names. I actually have a few of the Lucky Cat statues from the 100 yen store (like a dollar store, but infinitely cooler).
Mine looks a lot like the one below. Kind of makes me wish I bought more stuff at the 100Y store, I could have made a fortune now that Kawaii and anime stuff is taking the United States by storm!
10 Famous Calico Cats
If you prefer to take your inspiration from Calico cats throughout history, literature, or theater, read on for a few of my favorite famous Calico cat names!
- Bombalurina from the musical “Cats“
- Jemima (also from Cats)
- Copycat (Rainbow’s clone)
- Inga (a famous mouser from the Mount Washington Observatory)
- Pudge (one of the most famous cats on Instagram)
- Tama (full name Honorable Eternal Stationmaster Tama, which is a bit of a mouthful!)
- Sherman (a rare male Calico!)
I would totally name a pair of Calicos Rainbow and Copycat! Adorable, right?
Although I do love the idea of giving a cat a “full and official” name as Tama has. Hey, it’s a clever way to fit in a bunch of names when you can’t pick just one!
50 traditional Girl names for Calico Cats
Of course, you don’t have to go with something that sounds like a cat name for your calico. You could just as easily get inspired by any of the popular traditional, or even unique girls’ names as well!
The point is, you don’t have to just stick to names that come directly from your calico’s tri-colored fur. Literally, anything goes when naming your cat!
For years, all of our cats were named after TV witches. We had Piper, Prue, Sabrina, Tabatha, and Willow! We broke tradition with Zoe because I ran out of witch names that I liked.
My son named our cat Alex the Fuzz after himself (what a copycat, right?), using his middle name for inspiration. If you need some more ideas, I recommend checking out these posts to help you find the perfect name.
FAQs About Calico Cat Names
If you asked me to pick just one of these cat names to be my favorite, I’d have a really hard time answering you. I really love any of the food names, I think they’re adorable!
What are your favorite Calico cat names? Share below!
Nicole is one of the writers here on CatVills. She’s been a cat lover most of her life and-at one point- counted five felines as part of her family. Today, she’s proud cat mom to two indoor kitties and caregiver for a slew of ferals.
Learn more about Nicole Here