If you’re looking for some cute moniker ideas for a new kitten, let me introduce you to our epic list of hipster cat names!
Whether you’re a proud hipster yourself or just love ironically silly cat names, you’ll find the perfect idea below.
Trust me, we rounded up literally every hipster-inspired name we could find, so you have a lot to choose from!
Let’s check them out, shall we?
Hipster Cat Names Explained
According to the Macmillan Dictionary, a hipster is defined as “a young person who lives in a city and pays a lot of attention to trying to seem cool and not part of conventional society, for example in the clothes they wear, the music they listen to, and the food they eat.”
Of course, we all know that cats don’t even have to try to be cool, right? They just are! Hipsters could definitely take a lesson from them!
One last thing, these hipster cat names are tongue-in-cheek fun and not meant to offend anyone.
Many of these are also traditional names that appear on other lists. They just happen to be popular “hipster” names right now, too.
HIPSTER CAT NAMES For males
- Asher – Fortunate and blessed companion.
- Atticus – Atticus Finch, a fictional character from the 1960 novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee.
- Auden – from English origin meaning “old friend.”
- August – Vintage charm with a touch of grandeur.
- Axl – Edgy and rebellious rocker cat.
- Bear – Strong and resilient feline adventurer.
- Beckett – Sophisticated and intellectual cat with wit.
- Brax – Quirky and unconventional cat name.
- Bruno – Classic and timeless feline elegance.
- Butch – Bold and fearless companion.
- Byron – from English origin meaning “barn for cows.”
- Dashiell – Sleek and suave hipster cat.
- Dexter – from Latin origin meaning “right-handed.”
- Django – A free-spirited and adventurous feline.
- Duke – Noble and regal cat persona.
- Edison – Thomas Edison, American inventor.
- Elvis – Elvis Presley, “King of Rock and Roll.”
- Enoch – Mysterious and enigmatic feline presence.
- Everitt – Stylish and refined cat name choice.
- Fenton – Cool and trendy feline personality.
- Fritz – Quirky and offbeat hipster cat.
- Frank – Simple, yet effortlessly cool cat name.
- Greer – Unique and fashionable feline identity.
- Gulliver – from Irish origin meaning “glutton.”
- Gus – from Latin origin meaning “great, magnificent.”
- Hayes – Vintage charm with a modern twist.
- Holden – Holden Caufield, a fictional character from the 1951 novel “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger.
- Homer – from Greek origin meaning “security, pledge.”
- Hopper – from English origin meaning “hops grower or seller.”
- Huck – A free-spirited and adventurous cat.
- Hudson – Hip and trendy feline companion.
- Hugo – from Latin origin meaning “mind, intellect.”
- Ignatius – Mysterious and intriguing cat personality.
- Ike – from Hebrew origin meaning “laughter.”
- Jagger – Rock ‘n’ roll-inspired feline swagger.
- Jasper – A hipster cat with a timeless charm.
- Kai – from Hawaiian origin meaning “sea.”
- Kingston – from English origin meaning “king’s town.”
- Lennon – from Irish origin meaning “small cloak or cape.”
- Leopold – from German origin meaning “brave people.”
- Levi – Stylish and effortlessly cool cat persona.
- Lionel – from Latin origin meaning “young lion.”
- Luca – Artistic and cultured feline companion.
- Magnus – from Latin origin meaning “greatest.”
- Miles – Cool and laid-back cat with a musical touch.
- Milo- from Latin origin meaning “soldier.”
- Monty – Dapper and debonair hipster cat.
- Moses – from Egyptian origin meaning “delivered from the water.”
- Murray – Quirky and eccentric feline personality.
- Nico – from Italian origin meaning “people of victory.”
- Odin – in Norse mythology, Odin was the god of death, divination, magic, poetry and wisdom.
- Orion – Mysterious and celestial-inspired cat name.
- Orlando – Unique and bohemian feline identity.
- Orson – from Latin origin meaning “bear cub.”
- Oscar – Classic and timeless hipster cat choice.
- Otis – from German origin meaning “wealthy.”
- Otto – Vintage and retro-inspired cat persona.
- Oz – from Hebrew origin meaning “strength, powerful, courageous.”
- Pike – A hipster cat with a rugged charm.
- Poe – from English origin meaning “peacock.”
- Prince – Stylish and regal feline companion.
- Ray – from German origin meaning “wise protector.”
- Roman – Sophisticated and cultured cat with an ancient touch.
- Roscoe – from Norse origin meaning “deer forest.”
- Rufus – from Latin origin meaning “red-head.”
- Salinger – Intellectual and literary-inspired cat personality.
- Sebastian – Classic and refined feline elegance.
- Stellan – from Swedish origin meaning “calm.”
- Sullivan- from Irish origin meaning “black-eyed one.”
- Tate – Artsy and creative cat name choice.
- Tennyson – Poetic and imaginative feline companion.
- Theo – Trendy and fashionable hipster cat.
- Thor – from Norse origin meaning “thunder.”
- Waldo – from German origin meaning “to rule.”
- Woodson – Nature-inspired and earthy feline identity.
- Zane – Cool and modern cat name with an edge.
- Zeke – from Hebrew origin meaning “God strengthens.”
- Zeus – in Ancient Greek mythology, Zeus was the god of the sky, lightning and thunder.
I’m not even remotely a hipster but I am definitely in love with a lot of those names!
Literary cat names always make me smile, maybe because I love books so much! You can’t go wrong with Tennyson or Poe!
If you love a good hipster mythological name, try Zeus or Thor! Both would be hilarious names for a particularly petite cat (like a munchkin).
I’m also a fan of Zeke. Maybe because I just binge-watched Parenthood again! Now, on to the female hipster cat names, then you can tell me your favorites!
HIPSTER CAT NAMES For Females
- Alma – from Latin origin meaning “nurturing soul.”
- Anais – Like Anais Nin, the famous poet
- Bee – from Latin origin meaning “she who brings happiness.”
- Bessie – Vintage and charming feline companion.
- Billie – Cool and gender-neutral hipster cat name.
- Breah – Unique and edgy cat name choice.
- Callie – Playful and spirited feline friend.
- Clementine – from French origin meaning “mild, merciful.”
- Cleo – Mysterious and elegant hipster cat.
- Cosima – from Italian origin meaning “order, beauty.”
- Daisy – Sweet and cheerful feline personality.
- Delilah – Enigmatic and captivating cat companion.
- Dixie – from Latin origin meaning “tenth.”
- Edie – from English origin meaning “prosperous in war.”
- Edna – Quirky and offbeat feline identity.
- Ellarose – Stylish and sophisticated cat with a floral touch.
- Fifi – Chic and fashionable hipster cat name.
- Farrah – Glamorous and timeless feline elegance.
- Flannery – Flannery O’Connor, American essayist, novelist and short story writer.
- Flora- from Latin origin meaning “flower.”
- Frances – Classic and refined cat persona.
- Frankie – Cool and tomboyish hipster cat.
- Freyja – in Norse mythology, Freyja was a goddess associated with beauty, death, fertility, love and war.
- Frida – from German origin meaning “peaceful.”
- Gertrude – Quirky and unconventional feline companion.
- Hazel – Vintage charm with a touch of earthiness.
- Huntley – Unique and trendy feline identity.
- India – country in South Asia.
- Ione – from Greek origin meaning “a violet-colored stone.”
- Iris – from Greek origin meaning “rainbow.”
- Isla – Hip and modern cat name choice.
- Ivy – Stylish and effortlessly cool cat persona.
- June – Retro-inspired and sweet feline friend.
- Juniper – Nature-inspired and bohemian cat companion.
- Jupiter – Mystical and celestial-inspired feline personality.
- Leonora – Artistic and creative hipster cat.
- Lila – from Arabic origin meaning “night.”
- Lola – from Spanish origin meaning “lady of sorrows.”
- London – Sophisticated and cosmopolitan cat name.
- Lulu – from Arabic origin meaning “pearl.”
- Maisie – Whimsical and playful feline companion.
- Mamie – Vintage charm with a touch of nostalgia.
- Matilda – from German origin meaning “battle-mighty.”
- Mia – Simple, yet effortlessly cool cat persona.
- Millie – Cute and spunky hipster cat.
- Minerva – from Latin origin meaning “of the mind, intellect.”
- Minnie – Classic and timeless feline elegance.
- Mishka – Unique and artistic cat with a free spirit.
- Neva – Serene and ethereal feline presence.
- Olive – Quirky and nature-inspired cat name.
- Ophelia – from Greek origin meaning “help.”
- Pandora – from Greek origin meaning “all gifted.”
- Pearl – Elegant and refined hipster cat choice.
- Piper – Trendy and fashionable feline friend.
- Poppy – from Latin origin meaning “red flower.”
- Ramona – Bold and adventurous cat with a touch of mischief.
- Remedy – Quirky and unconventional feline identity.
- Romy – from Latin origin meaning “dew of the sea.”
- Rogue – Independent and rebellious hipster cat.
- Ruby – from Latin origin meaning “deep red precious stone.”
- Sadie – from Hebrew origin meaning “princess.”
- Saffron – spice.
- Savannah – Sophisticated and exotic cat companion.
- Scarlet – Fiery and passionate feline persona.
- Sia – Unique and artistic cat name with a soulful touch.
- Stella – Classic and timeless feline elegance.
- Suzette – Elegant and refined cat with a touch of French flair.
- Tallulah – from Irish origin meaning “lady of abundance.”
- Tessie – Vintage charm with a modern twist.
- Una – from Latin origin meaning “lamb.”
- Wren – Free-spirited and nature-loving feline friend.
- Violet – Artistic and bohemian hipster cat choice.
- Zelda – from German origin meaning “gray fighting maid.”
- Zen – Serene and peaceful cat companion.
- Zinnia – Quirky and colorful feline personality.
- Zola – Cool and edgy cat name with a modern vibe.
I am a big fan of Anais Nin, so I’m really loving that name.
I also love Tallulah (although I prefer the “Talula” spelling of it like in the old Tori Amos song from the Twister movie, which I just rewatched).
Scarlet is a great name if you’re a fan of the Marvel Avengers series (or love to name your cats after witches).
My #1 favorite, though, has to be Ophelia, as she’s my favorite Shakespeare character.
Choosing a hipster cat name adds a unique and trendy touch to your feline friend’s identity.
From vintage classics to unconventional and artistic choices, hipster cat names allow you to express your creativity and stand out.
Whether you prefer cool and edgy names or elegant and timeless ones, there’s a perfect hipster name for every cat personality.
Embrace the hipster spirit and give your furry companion a name that reflects their individuality and style.
Let their name become a conversation starter and a reflection of your own distinctive taste.
Your turn! Tell us below which of the hipster cat names is your favorite for a girl kitty! How about a boy cat?